Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Don't take the BLUE pill
72 Posts
define Bottled water...

If it is distilled, then technically forever.. as it is void of bacteria or algae spores... if it is Spring or Tap, it may contain spores that could cause algae.. Keep them in a cool dark place and you should be fine... You should buy a water filter if you plan on using the water after a year, just to be safe.

My I suggest looking at a larger storage container, this way you can treat it, cover and store it.

-Neo

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Water, per se, doesn't 'go bad'. It can become contaminated with bacteria, algae, microorganisms, chemicals or depleted of dissolved oxygen. The first three can be controlled by some type of disinfection, like Chlorine. Filtration can handle some of the chemicals. Depletion of dissolved oxygen can be overcome by pouring it back and forth between two pitchers, or using a blender or egg beater.

For H2O to change it has to break down into it's molecules. The rest is just stuff in the water.

·
Don't take the BLUE pill
72 Posts
Boil the water, add 1/2 tsp of bleach, cap and store....
stephpd, is right.. H2O is H2O, it is the EXTRA stuff we have to worry about. If you can sterilize it, then it will keep forever.

-Neo

·
Registered
497 Posts
The soft plastic containers of one gallon bottled water break down and can leak after several months. I found this out the hard way. The real problem is having containers that don't biodegrade or leach chemicals into the water.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,143 Posts
Boil the water, add 1/2 tsp of bleach, cap and store....
stephpd, is right.. H2O is H2O, it is the EXTRA stuff we have to worry about. If you can sterilize it, then it will keep forever.

-Neo
1/2 teaspoon of bleach? For how much water? You do realize that the industry standard is 8 drops per gallon for clear water and 16 drops for cloudy or suspect water? I don't know how many drops is in half a teaspoon but I bet it's more than 8.

And bleach has a short shelf life measured in months. It's better to store calcium hypochlorite (pool shock). That stuff lasts for years and works out cheaper than bleach in the long run. You can also make bleach with it for household cleaning and such.

As for water storage. There's really 2 ways to store it. Either rotate it regularly, or retreat it with chlorine regularly. Bottled water from the store is best rotated about yearly. Water stored in bulk containers can go either way. I used to rotate mine into the lawn and garden twice a year, but now I retreat it with chlorine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts