Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Pistol Shooter
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of making some buckets with a mix of items in them. I was thinking of putting coffee and tea in mylar bags with O2 obsorbers. Anyone know the shelf life would be?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Coffee lasts a long time in the vacuum packed can it comes in from off the shelf (as long as it stays cool). I would think if you packed tea in mylar and vac packed it it would last quite a while also

·
Registered
231 Posts
I use a vacuum sealer and the standard Foodsaver bags.
Almost every bucket I put together has some tea and coffee in it.

Dont know how long it would last, but I guess I will find out someday when I start opening buckets. lol

·
Registered
33,244 Posts
I do stock the instant and regular cans of coffee and even the dry creamer...all rotated items.

From what I understand the green beans store well then roast them as needed. It's not a huge priority for me so there is not a huge focus for me.

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
The brand of tea I get (PG Tips) comes in a box with plastic sealed round it and does not have a best by or expiry date, thus I think it probably last a very long time.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,419 Posts
Tea will last really well when properly packed. Coffee not so much. The best way to store coffee long term is to buy green coffee beans. They last pretty much indefinately. You just roast them as you need them. Once roasted, their shelf life is shortened considerably. Roasting and grinding is simple and fresh roasted tastes so much better anyway.

As an aside, if you haven't tried a french press yet, do so. It makes the best coffee you have ever tasted and they're usually not terribly expensive. It's the perfect SHTF coffee maker.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Before 2000 I found a great deal on cans of coffee ....... still working on using the last of that buy ....... stored them on the pantry shelf the last 12 years with no further prep ...... still fresh as it comes .....

With the new plastic coffee cans being sold ....... plastic is air permable ...... could need some re-packing .........

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
So putting the plastic coffee cans in a Mylar bag with o2 would be of no benifit ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts