Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Survival Actual
4,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from my local walmart in Middletown, Delaware.
I was picking up another lantern in case we lose power from this hurricane coming, and i noticed that almost all the lanterns that i saw there on sunday were already sold out today. :xeye:

Luckily, they people buying them apparently dont know anything about lanterns and they bought up all the cheap ones. The good one i wanted was still in stock :D:

There was an elderly lady sitting on the floor with lanterns, reading the boxes and trying to decide which one to buy, so i gave her a quick lesson on them and made sure she left there with one of the good ones like i got. She was a sweetheart and that made me feel good to help her. :eek::

·
I see a bad moon arising
1,267 Posts
Luckily, they people buying them apparently dont know anything about lanterns and they bought up all the cheap ones. The good one i wanted was still in stock :D:
Uh-oh. :( I seem to recall the cheap ones from walmart is what I've
got stockpiled in my supplies. Could you give me a quick education on
what I should have bought / should be looking for in a lantern?

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
Yep they about ran me down in the sporting goods today. I was standing there trying to get some ammo and the want to be last minute prepers were all over the place. Flash lights and batteries were wiped out and had some standing there gawking at the Mountain house supplies.:xeye:

·
Survival Actual
4,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Uh-oh. :( I seem to recall the cheap ones from walmart is what I've
got stockpiled in my supplies. Could you give me a quick education on
what I should have bought / should be looking for in a lantern?
Look for:

Light source: Get LED. Stay away from incandescent and florescent as they burn thru batteries too fast.
Lumens: 190 or up, with HIGH and LOW settings.
Power: "D" battery powered. Stay away from rechargeable.
RunTime: This is important. Read the box. With LED and 4 "D" batteries, it should run for roughly 65 hours on high, or 120+ hours on low.

This is the one i just picked up http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=2000006663&categoryid=10455&brand=

Its very bright, and lasts a very long time. It was $29.88 at walmart.

·
Inglourious Basterd
2,966 Posts
Kind of funny how everybody else are sheep ,yet 2 posters were out doing the same thing as the sheep.

I've had to throw out dozens of batteries that I had "prepped" away recently ,because they were well past expiration.
Looking at it from the other side, some would say I was the idiot for wasting money on a ton of batteries and other perishables that I have never needed.

·
Do you smell that?
4,591 Posts
Kind of funny how everybody else are sheep ,yet 2 posters were out doing the same thing as the sheep.

I've had to throw out dozens of batteries that I had "prepped" away recently ,because they were well past expiration.
Looking at it from the other side, some would say I was the idiot for wasting money on a ton of batteries and other perishables that I have never needed.
Buy rechargeables. They can sit dead forever then be charged when needed. Granted if left too long they can go bad, bu they last a hell of a lot longer. They are all I use now.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Recharable batteries, Pros and Cons.

Buy rechargeables. They can sit dead forever then be charged when needed. Granted if left too long they can go bad, bu they last a hell of a lot longer. They are all I use now.
If you wait until you need them to charge them hasn't your power already gone out? Sure, for a huricane or big snow storm you will probably have warning enough to charge up and be ready. If the power goes out suddenly due to an earthquake, solar flare, terrorist attack, dam break, wind storm, or a (your distaster here ______________.) Then you may want something ready with a flick of a switch. I have a bunch of lights ready so I can see to start my generator to run key emergency circuits in the house.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I opted for the Dietz lanterns. They have been manufactured since the late 1850s The cost of kerosene is around $10.00 a gallon here in Calif. I learned that you can burn diesel (less then $4.00 gal). Just be careful about the ventilation where you are using the lantern. Lehman's is a good source for Deitz lanterns.

·
2B1ASK1
857 Posts
I have one Dietz Lantern and 2 oil lamps for when the power goes out. Now I have to find the right oil for them. Unfortunatly the only lamp oil they have here in Japan is Parafin oil which I can't use.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
I opted for the Dietz lanterns. They have been manufactured since the late 1850s The cost of kerosene is around $10.00 a gallon here in Calif. I learned that you can burn diesel (less then $4.00 gal). Just be careful about the ventilation where you are using the lantern. Lehman's is a good source for Deitz lanterns.
That's where I got mine. I burn citronella oil in it on my picnic table.

Love that Lehmans!

·
Registered
751 Posts
It's absolutely crazy here in Portsmouth VA....heard a conversation in line behind me when checking out between a couple of youths, discussing how and what they'd steal once the lights went out. Lanterns, both electric and propane, were already low, along with flashlights and most camping supplies.

Good thing I'm getting out of this area when the storm hits...packing up what I have and not planning on having anything I leave behind when I get back. Anything left is a bonus!

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Look for:

Light source: Get LED. Stay away from incandescent and florescent as they burn thru batteries too fast.
Lumens: 190 or up, with HIGH and LOW settings.
Power: "D" battery powered. Stay away from rechargeable.
RunTime: This is important. Read the box. With LED and 4 "D" batteries, it should run for roughly 65 hours on high, or 120+ hours on low.
Just thought i would let you know, you can get rechargable D's :)

·
Survival Actual
4,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I use rechargeables in my flashlights. But anything i have with a rechargeable battery that sits, no longer holds a charge.

Roomba battery - dead
Rechargeable screw guns - all dead
Rechargeable sweeper - dead
Lanterns with "D" batts - all work

·
Gone Galt
22,534 Posts
Charlotte Area:

Went to Walmart to just to spy on the natives...no practical buying yet, just all the useless junk still.

I had to go on and get a few things I was missing...a few bottles of good scotch and a bag of ice :thumb:

Everything else is stocked up and ready to rock, as always.

·
Survival Actual
4,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just thought i would let you know, you can get rechargable D's :)
rechargeable "D" batts are 1.2 volts each. Primaries are 1.5 volts each. Much brighter.

If you get a good lantern with a long run time, you wont have a problem.

My energizer lantern still has the same 4 D batteries in it from 6 years ago. I use it randomly when i go out to the woods or have power outages.

·
Survival Actual
4,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have a few oil lanterns also, but most of the time my power goes out is during thunderstorms in the summer time. I can't run those things in my house because it heats the house up too fast. LED's are great that they don't put out any heat.

Of course if the power went out in the winter, i'd be lighting those oil lamps pretty quick to slow down the heat loss in the house.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts