Premium Member
2,509 Posts
For a few ideas?

Bench grinder

Diamond rods

Diamond paddles

Files

Stones

It really depends on the use, I use the same things I use on a knife, at the same angles I use for knives. For me I set my angles with the grinder, follow up with files, then follow that with a full course of diamond hones. Sharp as a razor and tough as nails. My 14 inch OAL, Tramontina will cut easily through 1" tree limbs in one pass, and it will hold an edge long enough to limb an entire tree and then some.

For quick field touch ups should it hit the dirt or something I use the DMT fold up diamond sharpeners, simple and easily packed.

Same process for hatchets and axes as well.

·
Fisherman
637 Posts
U can pick up a shapening stone (wet stone) at hardware store, harbor freight, sportring goods store for a couple bucks. I use a bench grinder to sharpen my axes, wedges, hatchets, etc.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I like using a file on a machete. It will sharpen it quick!
+1 I learned from the Mexicans that clear brush faster than a weed whacker that you gotta keep the blade sharp. Keep a file in your back pocket as ya cut and sharpen as soon as it starts to get dull. You draw file it down both sides of the blade being careful not to slip and cut off a finger.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I use a 4 inch grinder with a flapper/sander disk, just don't let the steel turn blue. A file in the field. :thumb:

·
Registered
106 Posts
First off, I don't recommend using a grinder on any type of cutting tool. That being said, when I was in Papua New Guinea, and the Philippines Most of the natives use a giant stone, that they've worn smooth (kind of a home grown wet stone) to sharpen their machetes. Much the same way you would sharpen a knife, except they hold one side down at a time, and lap the blade back and forth until they get their desired edge. For this, you would only need to find the right type, and large enough stone. You may even be able to buy a stone that large. I however use a double cut file to sharpen mine, along with my axe and hatchet

·
Student/Teacher
164 Posts
Go to a farm or feed type store and get a puck or a scythe sharpener. Scythe sharpeners are basically whet stones with a handle, the pucks are round stones with a coarse and fine side generally. I prefer the pucks.

·
Registered
372 Posts
in a pinch, you can use the back side of your common every day dinner plates. The little raised edges that the plate actually sets on does a fine job sharpening almost any sort of cutlery in a pinch.

A chef friend once taught me that. Something about plates being made out of, or containing porcelain or ceramic or something or other.

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
in a pinch, you can use the back side of your common every day dinner plates. The little raised edges that the plate actually sets on does a fine job sharpening almost any sort of cutlery in a pinch.

A chef friend once taught me that. Something about plates being made out of, or containing porcelain or ceramic or something or other.
I use a bottom of a coffee mug for my knives, same idea. In the field I just use a rock.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts