Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/02/us/02hikers.html?_r=1&ref=us

The New York Times link above talks about groups of hikers in Arizona who are put in the situation of helping people who are not as prepared as they are. These hikers in distress are either physically unprepared or simply did not carry enough water. The article sites that 17 people have died this year because of this and I was wondering if you the reader would share your water with these people. Also why or why you wouldn't.

If your wondering I probably would.

·
seek, locate, evaluate
833 Posts
I would share as long as it did not jeopardize my own or my dog's survival. But, I tend to always carry extra- and carry extra for my dog.

As much as people annoy the ****e out of me, it would be next to impossible to not share. IF they did anything to **** me off directly- all bets off.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Of course I would. I wouldn't share it to the point of endangering my own life (that just might kill both of us) but I'd do my best to save theirs. It would probably put a halt to whatever trek I was on until I could get resupplied but I can't imagine letting someone just die.

I am very good at desert survival. And I would have extra water with me. I bet whoever I am saving is very good at something that I really suk at. Nobody does everything well and dead people don't learn lessons.

·
Semper Fi
2,808 Posts
Ironic topic for the NYT to roll out an article about AZ. Surprised its not a Bloomberg rant about guns.... In AZ it is illegal to hand water to an illegal alien, even if theyre dying. You can risk arrest and seizure of vehicle if you give them a ride, even to the hospital. Now I dont know of any cop that would enforce that 'law' as they are over-ridden by natural laws of common decency.

Blue flags mark windmills, etc that supply water to illegals. Border patrol routinely tresspass to drain the water from tanks, also harming cattle. These are people, folks.

Stupid hiker in AZ without water Dumb Illegals often run out of water because they 'bug out' with milk jugs Not very durable canteens And they die. 3 days- in high heat/humidity, faster. Especially with a little diarreah or vomiting. Dead.

Damn right help out I carried a 2L bottle of water to hand 'n go Got many a 'gracias.' De nada!

·
Registered
582 Posts
I've handed out bottles of Gatorade on the trail to those that looked like they were a gnat fart away from heatstroke.

sachson, I don't see a problem with removing the support structure that illegals rely on to get into the country.

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
Its all cute and nice... this karma talks..
How many of you been in the desert!?
Carry extra water?!
One hiking day consumes about 2gals of water in the desert... carry more than that to share with idiots?! I prefer to live with my bad karma and healthy back..

If I have extra (and I am sure its extra) I will gladly share (not only water) ..
Carry extra for this poor bastards!? I am not mother Teresa!

Just 2 cents from someone who actually BEEN in the desert..

·
Banned
647 Posts
I carry more than enough water when the family and I go out hiking or camping so this wouldnt ever be an issue. In addition I carry materials that allow me to gather water from the ground or vegetation, the air as well as a source of purification. As for these people, Id point the direction where the SAR team can locate their skeletons.

·
Bush Walker
4,037 Posts
i'll let you die....

then i'll take your stuff cuz i'm a raider and that's how i roll :rolleyes:

Seriously , i'll help but not to a detriment of my families safety maybe my own

true raiders would kill you for your stuff - yer a wimp, letting me die first THEN taking my stuff? wimpy vulture you are! hahahahahah :)

of course id share my water with anyone who was found and in need on a hike

·
Banned
217 Posts
You're wandering around the desert. No cell reception, or perhaps no cell phone. You're miles away from civilization and you have enough water for yourself with a little extra.

You come across some poor fellow, lost, and suffering from dehydration.

Being a kind soul, you share your water. The stranger cannot thank you enough. You take him along like an abandoned dog. He has many questions and soon learns the direction and distance to civilization. He also learns that the two of you likely now do not have enough water to survive. He stops asking questions and ponders his situation quietly.

Another hour passes in the hot sun. Suddenly, *bonk*, you black out.

You wake in the middle of the night with a terrible headache and an intense thirst for water. Your adopted dog is gone. So is your water. One pair of footprints is barely visible to you in the dark, heading off towards civilization...

·
life h4x0r
40 Posts
I live in Phoenix and I go hiking and biking on the mountains here all the time. I always carry more water than I need, a first aid kit and some power bars for safety measures When I come across somebody who is in the need of water, an energy bar or first aid, I help them. There are plenty of unprepared hikers around here. I figure if I have the ability to help them, I should. And I feel great about doing it.

However, there are stories on the news all the time here about hikers that get stranded on the mountain and have to be rescued. About half the time, they've been said to have been on the mountain all day. If that's the case, usually they find them dead later that night. I can see South Mountain from my house, and just a few days ago there was a mountain rescue late at night. A guy had hiked alone to the top, didn't bring water, and passed out. He didn't die, but he was in bad shape.

As for those of you who say you wouldn't give water to a fellow hiker, I doubt that's what you would do. If you have that kind of attitude, I wouldn't want to run into you while hiking. The "fend-for-yourself" attitude is not a good thing if you're in on a mountain during an Arizona summer.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ironic topic for the NYT to roll out an article about AZ. Surprised its not a Bloomberg rant about guns.... In AZ it is illegal to hand water to an illegal alien, even if theyre dying. You can risk arrest and seizure of vehicle if you give them a ride, even to the hospital. Now I dont know of any cop that would enforce that 'law' as they are over-ridden by natural laws of common decency.

Blue flags mark windmills, etc that supply water to illegals. Border patrol routinely tresspass to drain the water from tanks, also harming cattle. These are people, folks.

Stupid hiker in AZ without water Dumb Illegals often run out of water because they 'bug out' with milk jugs Not very durable canteens And they die. 3 days- in high heat/humidity, faster. Especially with a little diarreah or vomiting. Dead.

Damn right help out I carried a 2L bottle of water to hand 'n go Got many a 'gracias.' De nada!
Interesting

1 - 20 of 44 Posts