Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If SHTF and can't get to an epi-pen (they expire after a year also) are there any alternatives that could provide relief and save lives?

·
Research, Learn, Share
819 Posts
Get liquid epinephrine and primatine mist, which is epinephrine. They have a longer shelf life. You can also get the primatine tablets, but I'm not sure how well they would work fir anaphalyxis, seeing that you have to get them into the stomach. But, ask your doctor whether they could be used under the tongue.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Epi-Pens should still be good for a year after their "expiration date". They pad those dates to allow for restock, repackage and resale. Store at room temp in the dark and it will last longer than expected.

As for "liquid epinephrine"; time for some learnin'.

Epinephrine comes in different strengths, 1:1,000, 1:10,000 and other ratios. This means the 1:1,000 is ten times potency of the 1:10,000 stuff by volume. Buy "epinephrine for injection, USP, 1:1,000ml" If not in "epi-pen" form, it will come in a glass ampule or a multi-dose vial.

For the purpose of treating anaphylaxis you will want 1:1,000 concentration. This is intended for subcutaneous (sub-q) use. It is injected into the subcutaneous fat layer under the skin. The best locations are the fatty areas of the back of the upper arms.

Using a small 27 gauge x 1/2 inch long needle it is injected at a 45 degree angle to the surface of the skin. This is usually done with a tuberculin needle or an insulin needle that has mls marked on it. Not all insulin needles have mls, most have "units" designed for insulin, units and mls are not interchangeable. Using too large a syringe will make measuring the dose difficult. Using too large a needle will allow the injected drug to leak out and go to waste.

Usual doses are 0.3ml or one-third of a ml. (BTW, cc, cubic centimeter, and ml, milliliter, are the same thing) For children drugs are calculated by weight in kilograms (kg). Epinephrine for kids is 0.01ml/kg.

example: 50lb kid. convert weight to kg by dividing the weight in lbs in half and subtracting 10% of the result. 50 divide by 2 = 25 - 2.5 = 22.5

dosage 0.01 ml/kg x 22.5 = 0.225ml. 0.2 mls is as close as you will get.

Epinephrine is the only drug that will STOP an anaphylactic reaction. Other drugs will treat the symptoms without necessarily treating the cause.

1.) remove the allergen causing the reaction, if possible. bee stinger, powder agent, food residue, etc.

2.) administer (in order of importance) epinephrine as described above.

3.) adjunct drugs such as benedryl and tagmet are both antihistamines that will stop some of the symptoms and can help.

4.) steroids, such as decadron, solu-medrol, etc will stabilize the cells and inhibit further reaction. These are slow to act and will be unnoticeable, but can help in the long run.

5.) Brochodilators, like proventil can ease symptoms but do nothing to ease the anaphylactic reaction and can delay administration of other drugs.

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
Stinging nettles contain antihistamin but Im not sure they would work for a severe allergy. You can get them from health food shops in capsule and tea form. Our larger shops (Tescos, Asda etc) also do the Teas.

If picking your own, you take the top leaves in Spring time.

·
Almost home
589 Posts
I keep bees.

I had a massive sting event and became sensitized.

A second massive event and I did the anaphylactic shock thing.

I went to an allergist and received desensitization shots for several years.

I still keep bees, still get stung, no anaphylaxis events.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts