Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Founder
16,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Using a havahart live trap and a dog proof raccoon trap.

The live trap was baited with dog food and peanut butter - nothing.

Raccoon trap was baited with marshmallows - caught a **** last night.

A bunch of my chickens are missing. The other night I was out walking around and heard something in the chicken house. I ran over to the house, but whatever it was had ran off.

Trail camera was set up, which took pictures of a large raccoon and a opossum.

·
Grim Reaper
463 Posts
Bait the cage trap with marshmallow creme, mix in just a little honey and a couple drops of vanilla. Best **** bait ever.

Also put a hard boiled egg in trap. A white one. White shows up better at night. Once a **** sees that egg he is going in.

·
Banned
17,612 Posts
I've used all sorts of things to bait traps with, peanut butter, tuna fish, etc. But the two I have the best luck with is bread with jelly on it, and bones left from chicken I've had that still have bits of meat and gristle on them.

You're re-baiting the traps and leaving them out, right? ***** are like mice--you never have just one!

Just watched your video again--is there no door? Or is it opened into the pen? If not, that's your biggest vulnerability. You have to have a door on their pen. I go out at dusk and close the door on my pen. The birds go inside to perch and I just have to walk out and shut the door every evening, and let them out in the morning. If your pen is too far away, you can buy battery operated 'pop hole' door openers that will open and close the door automatically.

·
Wind
1,222 Posts
Hey Yall

One bait I use as the "go to" bait in neighborhoods, towns & cities when I got to get ***** caughtup is FRUITLOOPS. I trail them to the back of my pipe or cage traps then a handfull at the trigger. In the dog proofs just drop a few around then fill the bottom third with da Loops. If ya keepem in a clean bag they make a good snack too. I use these to avoid cats while trying to get the ****. On the trap line I use Iams Hairball formula catfood in the orange bag. It can be mixed with da loops. The trick to large **** catches is gang setting. You can set several cage traps just a few feet apart an same with dog proofs.

I like dry bait. I is just easier to handle. It cleans out the dog proofs easy and it swells when it is wet just gets smelln better.

Hot weather maggots and ants get about all your bait ifn the **** do not beat them there. Again that dry bait scattered about increases you odds.

The Iams will mop up Gray fox also!

·
Registered
53 Posts
EVERYTHING eats chicken. I use to bait mine with canned cat food. Back during the drought in 2011 in 15 days I trapped 1 skunk, 2 possums, and 10 *****. Kev they will kill every one of your birds, show them no mercy or they WILL come back.
Ain't that the truth. They'll clean you out if you let them. All of my coups are completely enclosed even the run. That doesn't stop them from constantly trying and every once in a while succeeding in getting in.

Until about a year ago I had a rat terrier that was outside and guarded them 24/7. She'd alert me when something was around and most times either run it off or tree it. I've killed 93 possums and 37 ***** in the last 10 years. Every once in a while a skunk makes their way in too. All with a 22lr rifle. The dog passed away and I haven't replaced her yet so it's become a lot more challenging. Luckily I work from home on the computer and am right by the back door 30 or 40 feet from the coups. My biggest problem is if I let them out in the yard to range. I have a bunch of foxes around here that have killed somewhere between 50 and 80+ chickens and guineas.

Oh and then there's the Redtail hawks that are as big as my Turkeys too. I sure do miss that dog. I had something, probably a possum, get into one of the spare rooster pens last night. Found a bunch of feathers on the ground and he has a place on his neck where something grabbed him, missing a bunch of feathers. He's a big old dude with 3+ in spurs so he fought it off. Doubt it was a ****, **** would have killed him unless it was a youngster. I'm on guard tonight. Saw something out under the fig tree, probably a possum but by the time I got the rifle he'd skedaddled outta here. That's ok, he'll be back and I will get him.

·
Registered
185 Posts
We have had issues with weasels...thy can easily get through the 2 inch mesh chicken wire, gaps in gates, etc...they just kill the chickens and eat very little. We lost 15 meat birds a few weeks ago...our solution was to use smaller diameter wire...and now trapping the weasels...

·
Deplorable Freedom Zealot
3,330 Posts
+1 on PB&J sandwich

easy and cheap

Make a 1/2 one and put 1/4 in trap

A smart **** will try to get the bait via reaching in from the side of trap.

Place trap against something on one side,or both sides.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Mount one or two wireless Harbor freight motion sensor driveway alarms on stakes outside the coup. load up your 22lr and fresh batteries in your flashlight, consider approaches, hides and fields of fire. Wait for the wireless alarm to wake you. Now remember, first impressions last forever, underwear/boxers are optional.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Possums are easy if they are in the coop. They just suck eggs and nothing will budge 'em.
Grab 'em by the tail but watch out for the teeth. Then do what you have to .

·
COF
392 Posts
I have seen it used and although I do not condone it, 3 tbls. of Golden Malrin and a can of Coke mixed together in a bowl. The ***** will be waiting for your disposal within a few feet of the bowl.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
I have seen it used and although I do not condone it, 3 tbls. of Golden Malrin and a can of Coke mixed together in a bowl. The ***** will be waiting for your disposal within a few feet of the bowl.
I agree. It's the worst. I have considered that but decided never.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts