Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched thoroughly but I couldn't find a discussion about it. I know there has to be one but maybe I don't know the right terms. I always search before posting because everything has been covered. Now this is my situation. I got 14 acres of land in the mountains of Puerto Rico. This is going to be my retreat/BOL I was thinking that after taking a few trips to survey the land I could set free some pigs there for later. I have a friend that had wild boar on his land and it even crossed with domestic pigs (they grow tusks when they go feral! it's quite a sight). My biggest challenge will be securing the fencing so that they stay inside. What do you guys think? Any other animals that can be brought in? I know goat is pretty hardy.

·
Your move Sparky...
7,782 Posts
Uh, you would end up with a wasteland in about 2 months if you didn't cull them consistantly. They reproduce faster than you could ever imagine. Also, it would have to be one hell of a fence as these guys dig for a living.

I wouldn't recommend it under any circumstance unless you took up farming.

Transfer and release of feral pigs is illegal here. Maybe in PR as well.

Reactions: Karnus

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Should I consider other kinds of animals, or is this a bad idea altogether?

I got everything checked out except a protein source (I really don't to have to eat soy all the time)

·
Your move Sparky...
7,782 Posts
Oddly enough ducks are a great source of protien. Get the right ones and they are fantastic watchdogs that don't destroy everything they come into contact with. Kinna hard for a duck to kill you too.

Extra bonus? Eggs...

Avoid the pigs unless you want to cage them and care for them daily. They get out and bad things happen.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I understand thank you for your input. I still got long was to go. I know there's iguanas in the land, they are an invading species and got a decent amount of meat. I learned a lot on how to capture and prepare them from my cousin.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Worms...

I'd imagined out what would happen if I turned loose some of our rabbits. Likely make some hawks happy and pi$$ off my neighbors. But at least rabbits can't eat a little kid like pigs can.

For extreme backup I am raising two varieties of composting worms. Not a pleasant thought to eat now but who knows. Our dogs can eat them at the very least. They double in volume every ninety days if you provide them the space and they eat free stuff.

I should have about half a ton in a year or so and then ninety days after that it would be double. And so on...

·
Swamp Rat
31 Posts
Oddly enough ducks are a great source of protien. Get the right ones and they are fantastic watchdogs that don't destroy everything they come into contact with. Kinna hard for a duck to kill you too.

Extra bonus? Eggs...

Avoid the pigs unless you want to cage them and care for them daily. They get out and bad things happen.
QFT.. ducks are very easy to let go and let em live on their own too.. unless there are wesals or the like around, in which case you'll probably find them all dead when you go looking for supper some evening..

lacking the predator threat, i've had ducks myself and they are very tasty and pretty useful for feathers/down, food (obviously), even their grease while cooking is quite useful for lamps if you're so inclined to collect it..

·
Inglourious Basterd
2,966 Posts
Introducing non-native species has proven to have disasterous effects on the environment,time and time again. From people releasing wild hogs in western states to idiots releasing pythons in Florida, to damaging insects carelessly brought over on trees,fruits and vegetables from foreign countries.

Until you are ready to fully commit your time and attention to your land ,it would be irresponsible to turn loose any animals there ,domesticated or wild.

·
Registered
184 Posts
find out what animals people call for someone to remove from the area then find someone that uses live trap to relocate to your land tell him you can bring such and such animal to my property just a thought.like billy the exterminator here in the usa

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Why bother--you want pig for meat, raise pigs! You want goats for milk and meat, raise goats! Add some chickens for eggs and meat and rabbits if you want for extra meat and there are lots of farms in P.R. doing just that...Plant your truck garden of vegetable, maybe a few different kinds of berry bushes and at least two apple trees (for pollination) and you'll have a great little setup with out having to go out and hunt...

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Goats and pigs would be my first choice - but,,, check the local laws before you release anything. Some countries / states / regions have laws about releasing non-native animals into the wild - even if it is on your land.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not sure you could fence in the hogs. All over TX, you will find high-tensel, game high fences. They are always working on them and they can not keep out wild hogs to save their life. If they can not keep them out, I doubt you can keep them in. Once they do get out, they will reck the local farmers.

·
are we there yet??
246 Posts
One thing about pigs, other than destroying your land better than a D-9 dozer, is if they can get their snout through it the rest will surely follow. Fences are not much more than a mild inconvenience for them.

Others before me have suggested some good ideas. I treat my land like a game reserve. Nothing is killed except poisonous snakes. The deer have figured it out and pack in during deer season.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Make sure the rabbits are not domesticated. One time our relatives in Detroit decided to free their pet rabbits on our rural property. Over the next week our cats found and killed them all. They even brought some of the heads back, and placed them on our porch. We never told the relatives about that though.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
I still don't know why you would want to release the animals onto your property? What purpose? You wanting to start a "Hunting Preserve"? If yes, you'll fail miserably as the ones in Texas etc. are thousands of acres in size and are still considered caged hunts.

Let's see, what's cheaper, fence off 13 of your 14 acres or fencing off one acre (to let the animals roam in and you feed them)? Oh, wait, you want the animals to scavenge for their food so your costs will be negligible but then all the energy and time going to have to find them in the bush when you want them...Well, remember that pig fencing has to be buried into the ground because the buggers tunnel...Would there be sufficient growth for them to survive on as Ovines, being omnivores, aren't really grazers like cattle (herbivores) are...Piggies root bovines chew.

How are you going to harvest these wild pigs--sows and boars? Hunting expedition or force them into a pen and slaughter them there?

Seems a little convoluted just to get some pork chops and I hope that you will have a smoker for hams and bacon...You do know (or will know by then) how to butcher your animals otherwise your costs will be nearly what store bought meat will cost you.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,103 Posts
I grew up raising pigs in Iowa. Pig Fencing = Concrete slab + Drill Stem Posts + Welded Rod Hog Panels.
If the fence will hold water, it will hold a pig.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts