Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my 40 plus years of being a follower of Jesus, I still marvel how the things we are called to do is the exact opposite of what I want to do.

“If anyone serves Me, let him follow Me; and where I am, there My servant will be also. If anyone serves Me, him My Father will honor.” (John 12:26)

Oddly every fiber in my body refuses to be a servant. I WANT my freedom, I want to own me and decide what's best. Probably one of my most difficult challenge is to become a slave to the cause of Christ. More of Him, and less of me.

If I have learned anything in this whole "walking with Christ thing" is that waving the white flag of surrender to Christ has been the most freeing experience of my life. The back seat has a great view especially when Dad is driving!

(Luke 17:33) Whoever seeks to save his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life will preserve it.

The truth is, most of us screw things up very well. Relationships, poor employment choices, money decisions, pride and the way we see the world.

(1 Corinthians 4:1)
Let a man regard us in this manner, as servants of Christ and steward.

I would really enjoy hearing your thoughts of servanthood and what it means to you!

thanks friends, Ohioman

·
Registered
11,462 Posts
I picked my career as a teacher partly to serve. I sure didn’t do it for the money or the mythical summer off.

I haven’t ever been disappointed by any effort I’ve made to follow Him. I’m certainly not perfect, but things go better and life is sweeter when I make that effort.

Slave to the cause? I don’t like that description, slaves have no choice. Satan wanted slaves, he would have forced obedience. Our Father wanted us to choose to be obedient. I’m not a slave, but I try to be a disciple, one who learns and follows the teachings by choice. As I said...I haven’t got it down pat yet, but I’m not going to stop trying.

·
Don't fear the Reaper
1,470 Posts
I am trying to serve better, more often, to make it a regular every day thing.

Matthew 11:28, Christ says

28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

To be God's slave, in essence, Christ tells us is easy. Beasts wear yokes and bear burdens, and that is pretty much synonymous with being a slave. But I think He meant more than that, for in taking on His yoke we can lay down those heavy burdens that are making us weary, and we will have rest in His meek ownership.

Taking on God's yoke is indeed freeing. Years ago someone asked me if making a commitment to faith was hard, and I was a little surprised because it was in fact very easy. And it was freeing, as you say. Surrendering wasn't some difficult, scary thing. It was the exact opposite.

·
Premium Member
4,584 Posts
For me, it comes down to the recognition that Jesus paid the price for everyone
Jesus owns everyone, literally
I am speaking here of the Spirit-man, not the physical-man
Jesus paid the price for his Bride, i.e, the Body of Christ
If you are a member of the Body of Christ, then the Light-Yoke, as mentioned is far better than the wages of sin.
Jesus, just asked for two things
Love his Father with all your Heart
Love your Brothers and Sisters and your brothers and sisters with all your Heart
Saved, or unsaved, alike
The physical-man and his soul will go through a purifying fire
For most, very little will be left except the Spirit
The only thing that will survive is Love and Faithful acts
So, Servitude in this context means Love and rejection of the fallen world
We are in the World, not of the World
Make sure your name is in The Book of Life
You control that alone
God will not force you to accept Jesus
It is all on you

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I had this exact discussion with the Priest a week ago.....talking about how I can better serve the Church which fills me up vs. working and earning money for my talents.

It was explained to me that there is a balance that needs to be struck.....providing vs ministry.

There are things I do every single day for the Church.....often times I feel it is not enough compared to what so many others have done.

I'm in deep prayer about this exact topic and pray that God will enlighten me and show me the way.

HK

·
Registered
11,462 Posts
..... working and earning money for my talents.
You are serving while doing those things. Your job provides someone with something they need or want. It provides your boss or the company with an income as well, which is used to provide for others beyond them alone.Your pay provides your family with things they need and want. The money you spend is used to provide for others as well. The people you work with can be served by your efforts and your example, as can your customers if you are in contact with them.

Remember the story of the servants and the talents. We are here to grow, to learn, to increase upon that which we started with...not the money, as a shallow reading of the parable would have one think, but the knowledge of God, the ability we have to serve, and our use of that ability in His honor. Money is just a tool we can use to do that.

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
It's taken me nearly 60 years to finally find the willingness to "serve others" (which, in my opinion, is very close to serving Christ). He left us with a very important commandment: "Love thy neighbor." It actually feels really good to get out of myself and think of the needs of someone else. It may not serve my flesh but it does wonders for my soul and spirit. Paul speaks of "charity" and its extreme importance.

But -- as in all other biblical commands -- I have a very long way to go before I can honestly call myself a "servant of the Lord." I'm still very self-centered a lot of the time and I was born with rebellion flowing through my veins. But the topic is great and its one of the highest goals a person can set for himself/herself.

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
I had this exact discussion with the Priest a week ago.....talking about how I can better serve the Church which fills me up vs. working and earning money for my talents.

It was explained to me that there is a balance that needs to be struck.....providing vs ministry.

There are things I do every single day for the Church.....often times I feel it is not enough compared to what so many others have done.

I'm in deep prayer about this exact topic and pray that God will enlighten me and show me the way.

HK

Each member of Christ's church has a gift. Different folks have different gifts and we all make up the body. When we exercise our gifts ... we serve each other and we serve Jesus Christ.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts