Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
CabinBuilder/Author
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's advantages of having a partially serrated blade as opposed to
no serration? I haven't made up my mind about this? I know the serrated will 'bite' into things better, but is harder to sharpen.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I am not worth a hoot at sharpening a serrated blade. If you have any suggestions I would love to know how. Larry

Good to have you as a friend. See you soon. About to go back to work.

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
I like straight blades, but I have found that the serrated blades tend to work really well for things like seatbelts (webbing) and rope. My gerber hinderer is totally serrated, and will actually cut through a windshield, but it's useless with fine blade use...like cutting my dinner. Half serrated blades offer both, and honestly I would buy a straight edge over a serrted one, but here's the hitch: you can cut things like the rope and webbing and even materials like sheet rock WITHOUT DULLING the fine edge. Hack through cardboard boxes then see how well your blade has held it's edge...not so good, but if you have a serrated edge you can use it as a gnarly utility blade and save the main part of the blade's edge for skinning, shaving, etc... ;) ok, I would never shave with my blades, but hopefully that give you an idea.

oh, and serrated blades will make short order of denim jeans or skin, you know, if you need to cut someone out of their clothes or slice a bad guy up real good. ;)

·
Registered
204 Posts
You're right about the serrated parts being more difficult to sharpen. In my experience though they don't need sharpening nearly as often as a plain blade.

Case in point - my EDC used to be a Spyderco clipit rescue knife with a fully serrated blade. I've had it for over 10 years and I have never sharpened it. It'll still cut even today.

My KaBar is one with a partially serrated blade. It is my basic field knife and although I have sharpened the plain blade section hundreds of times, I haven't had to touch the scalloped serrations.

The main advantage of a semi-serrated blade for field use is that it'll cut wet stuff like rope far better than a plain blade. It's good for scraping bark off sticks as well I have found. If you're using it to clean and butcher game, you'll find that the serrated section will allow you to notch bone before breaking it if you have to.

I've butchered game with a swiss army knife lol.

·
Forum Administrator
16,737 Posts
Serrated blades are terrible for skinning deer. When it comes time to skin that buck, leave the serrated blade and home and only use the non-serrated blade. The notches in the blade grab the flesh instead of cutting it.

·
Modern Day Nessmuk
483 Posts
I prefer a plain edge blade ten times over. A serrated blade only has one advantage in my mind; Slicing a man wide open. I use the close part of my blade for whittlin' and whatnot. I DO have a serrated tanto blade, but thats for collectin'.

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
I've never bothered, but the thin round sharpening rods used in the common \/ notch type sharpeners can be used as a file type sharpening stone between the serrations, but I've never actually had to sharpen one...they continue to retain their capabilities...

·
Time for Common Sense...
132 Posts
Another great thread, Albertjohnson !

For my money and in my humble opinion I perfer a non-serrated blade over serrated. I've never gotten a serrated re-sharpened correctly, but can re-sharpen a straight blade to a real nice edge. kev is right about dressing and skinning game and grabbing flesh, no good for me. I can cut rope and things fine without serrations, and if you need to use a blade in a serious fight, a serrated blade isn't a concern for me. Don't depend upon the knife alone in this situation; better to be adequately trained and proficient in a blade's use to disable and render an aggressor opponent ineffective and leave the situation done as quickly as possible. brain is the best weapon here, trained brain will do what's needed in automatic recall. yes, I speak from some experience and yes, I always carry at least 2 straight bladed folder spyderco types and at times also 2 small sheathed fixed damascus blades ...dependant upon my surroundings.
in short, personal preference prevails...whatever works for you and your needs...
good to have you as a new friend also !
Bonecutter6

·
Registered
432 Posts
Serrated blades are great for EMT's and Law Enforcement that may need to cut a seatbelt to safe a life. They also work well as a car knife in an emergency to do the same. They are not so good when it comes to cutting meat and other items that snag and are really bad when it is time to sharpen them. I use a strait blade all the time, but the serrated ones do have a use.

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
Wascilly wabbits...
One more thing...what I try to do when using a sizable blade...I use the inch or so closest to the pommel for hacking through sisal, rope, cardboard, etc...stuff that really dulls a blade quick. I use the tip to the middle for more "surgical" uses. This may seem really elementary, but I cringe every time I see someone using the business end of a blade for shaving PVC, hacking through radiator hose, or chopping a bone up for the pooch...
That is all...
OVER.

·
Animis opibusque parati
364 Posts
What's advantages of having a partially serrated blade as opposed to
no serration? I haven't made up my mind about this? I know the serrated will 'bite' into things better, but is harder to sharpen.

What do you guys think?
I think the question is broad, "serrated or not" depends on what your useing it for?

If this is a single knife which needs to fulfull a multitude of roles, sure a partial serrated edge works well.

I prefer a straight edge over a serrated or partially serated design for a number of reasons allready outlined. It easier to sharpen, better for fine work, etc. If you have ever cut much wood or witelled you know that the majority of your strength is close to the handel. With a serated knife you lose that !

I have a mixture of both among my knives.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Serrations make it much harder to skin an animal, or pull out of a combatant.

Serrated might be a good idea for sticking in your car for seat belts and ropes. I'd leave it at home for survival.

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts
you want a good long serrated knife in your kitchen for bread, tomatoes, and the like. I have had my serrated kitchen knife for 10 years and have never sharpened it. steel is hard, tomatoes are not. it just does not wear out if you use it properly.

a serrated folder is good for some emergency situations. it will go through a seat belt a little faster than a straight blade. if you are in the habit of cutting crash victims from cars a fully serrated folder is a good idea, IMHO.

half serrated knives just offer you the worst of both worlds. the serrated part is too small to do much good and the points are likely to grab and tear things you want to simply cut with the flat part.

·
Earthwalker.
10,287 Posts
you want a good long serrated knife in your kitchen for bread, tomatoes, and the like. I have had my serrated kitchen knife for 10 years and have never sharpened it. steel is hard, tomatoes are not. it just does not wear out if you use it properly.

a serrated folder is good for some emergency situations. it will go through a seat belt a little faster than a straight blade. if you are in the habit of cutting crash victims from cars a fully serrated folder is a good idea, IMHO.

half serrated knives just offer you the worst of both worlds. the serrated part is too small to do much good and the points are likely to grab and tear things you want to simply cut with the flat part.
Come to think of it i do use a sarrated knife in my kitchen so i have to agrre with you on that and for seat belts if your an emergency responder,in my car i have a spiecal seat belt cutting tool.

If we are talking Bushcraft,camp knife then i say no to serrations for the same reasons that you have quoted.:thumb:

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
Does anybody know of a half serrated knife with the serrated part at the tip section and the plain edge at the handle?

Would this be more useful?

·
Registered
268 Posts
I agree with the majority I prefer a straight edge serrated is pretty much useless in my book as far as sharpening them I just sharpen the same way I do a straight edge I only have a few knives that are serrated and I just sharpen them the same way I do all my knives .

1 - 20 of 31 Posts