Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have read all about storing food but what about water? From what i understand you need at least a gallon a day for one person that's 365 gallons a year! Alot of #@?! consummable water to store for a year. Where do you guys store that much water? It's not like i really have anyplace to store anyway since I rent a trailer.

·
one day at a time
2,478 Posts
I have a new born. So eveytime we empty a baby warter jug be it 1-5 gallon I use the pur faucet filter (i have well water) and refill then seal them with the lid and duckt tape. I store mine in the master closet on the floor out of sight and the way. I have been putting a couple in my oldests closet to so there will be more. Thats how I do it!!

·
free man
626 Posts
We use a gravity well system up the mtn just above the house that feeds a storage tank, that in turn goes into the house. No power of any kind required. Many homes here in the wnc mtns use such a system.

Failing that, we have a clear mtn stream tumbling thru the front yard 25yrds from the house.

Short term..remember your hot water heater will have water stored thats easily tapped.

At least get a backpacking water filter pump. This 'at least' gives you alot more options then otherwise.

·
Registered
816 Posts
for people who don't own property, its probably not possible to store that much water or get a well. (if you have a property, you should do both of these)

I am storing as much as possible in my APT, but at the moment I only have about 30-40 gallons. What I do have is ways to purify water. I live in Florida, so water in some form is usually pretty easy to find. So because I have no way to store all the water I need, I am focusing on storing as much as I can, and using purification techniques to get the rest. But a having a well or actually having the water stored is the best way, if possible.

·
trois pour cent
5,942 Posts
You can't possibly store enough water for all future needs if you live in an apartment. You could buy a waterbed but even that will eventually be used.
You need a system of water collection to meet your needs. You need to be in a house instead of apartment if you are able.

·
AAAH GET TO ZE CHOPPA!
1,554 Posts
Not that I would want to rely on this, but make sure you have extra means to filter and purify water, if you can't store much.

I bought some 89 cent deer park 3-liter jugs; they are designed to be stacked on top of one another.
http://www.deerparkwater.com/Products/ThreeLiter.aspx (just ignore the flash notification if it asks you)

You can get them at any Walmart. Just stack some in your closet and you're done. In tight spaces, using stackable containers makes all the difference.

Edit: keep in mind, 3 liters is .8 gallons... so grab a couple extra if you are thinking in terms of storing a gallon a day.

·
I'll fix it
2,548 Posts
I store two 55 gallon barrels of filtered drinking water treated with Oxy-Stabile.
http://www.nitro-pak.com/product_info.php?cPath=40_72&products_id=1137
I have a low cost emergency ceramic water filter system to filter rainwater and such.
http://shop.monolithic.com/products/just-water-ceramic-drip-filter
I have a Katadyn Vario and Micropur tablets for the BOB.
http://products.katadyn.com/brands-...Backcountry_Series_24/Katadyn_Vario_1112.html
If you don't have room for barrels a good option are water boxes you can fill at the last minute. I need to get some of these. You can use them as emergency toilets after you use the water.
http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_KW S100_A_name_E_

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
Obviousoly, no one can store all the water they need, you have to be able to purify and/or filter it. You can start, as stated above, by buying a few containers and storing it. I like those big blue 7 gallon plastic containers from wally world . You should also have some kind of filter, something like the highly popular Katadyn Hiler pro can be found on-line or at Dicks sporting goods, etc. for $70 or so, IIRC. Also,always keep a fresh bottle of bleach around for purifying ( and disinfecting). I've been meaning to get to a pool supply place and get some solid chlorine. As I understand, one package would cover about a lifetime of water purifying,and it doesn't weaken over time like liquid bleach. Another good idea is to have a couple large, clean containers handy,like rubber maid storage bins or 5-gallon buckets, so you can fill them in the tub at the last minute should something go down.
Hope this helped........M.:thumb:

·
Registered
645 Posts
I have one "column" strait up to the cieling of 24 pack bottled water. That's about as much on hand water as I'm willing to store. I'm getting a berkey light (or just the filters) ASAP, because as many have said thiere is no way to store an indefinate supply of water.

I chose the bottled water aproach because it doesn't need shelving to store like other methods. Just buy and stack it to the roof :thumb: .

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've got a small stack of bottled water 12-packs. Just cleaned and refilled some 2 liter soda bottles with filtered water. I have some filter water straws in my BOB. And I guess if I have to use it, I've got a 4' x 24' round swimming pool filled with chlorinated water in my backyard. I'd like to get some 55 gallon drums, maybe get them filled up with rainwater or snow this winter. A good water filtration system (portable) is high on my list of things to get, plus I keep a couple of bottles of bleach on hand.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Like a couple others have said, you should have water filters on hand. You can only store so much water, and it's going to run out almost no matter how much you store. Look into getting a small portable water filter and probably some iodine tablets as well to treat the water, that way you'll be able to use virtually any source of water you come across and be able to drink it.

Also, a note on storing water for long periods of time. I'm no expert or anything but I think you add a few drops of chlorine/bleach to the water before sealing it so that it doesn't go stale. You'd have to do some more research or ask someone else for the exact amount to add though.

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
I have two 1000 gallon tanks. One for drinking water, another for rain catchment. Deep well. Have a spring about 200 feet below us if the pumps die.

365 gallons? That would fit in 7 55gal drums, take up a space about 15x3ft? Cost about 250 bucks? Hardly seems impossible if you have an unused area in a garage or beside the apt. My mom keeps gallon milk jugs in the freezer to keep it cold during power outages. She probably has a total of 65 gallons in drinkable water around the house, in nothing bigger than a gallon jug.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There are some neighbors that have agreed to store water, some of us will store food, others firearms and ammo. We are all very close in politics and all believe in preparedness. So sharing responsibilities is one solution. In Florida, one does not need to dig very far to hit the water table but for really safe water, one should go down to 120ft or more to be in the aquifer.

The best you could do in an apartment might be to store an emergency supply like 14 days to get you through. It's already been mentioned but a purifier is a good investment. Pur, etc make hiker sized units that require no storage space at all. Water that you might otherwise ignore can be consumed.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Catch it somehow, even off of the roof, filter it and purify it. If you store tap water in something it might be a good idea to purify it after it's been sitting for months. You'll never go wrong if you use iodine, a steripen, or boil it.

How much you can get depends on your location.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have about a months supply of water for myself and spouse and the critters. We use the blue jugs from walmart as well, treated with bleach. I also keep a jug of bleach just for water purification on hand and have a katadyn filter. It is probably not enough, but we live in town and do not have access to a well.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Just remember if you place the water where it will freeze to leave enough room for the expansion. I use old Arizona Ice tea gallon jugs, addicted to the green tea with ginseng and honey, rinse and fill. I have heard that pool shock is a good way to keep chlorine for use in water, just make sure it has no other additives and you keep it dry.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts