Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
greatest gift...bullets
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a very serious real wake up call happen to me monday and if I don't do something about it all of our preps will be wasted on me and my own shortcomings. Let me start off with a little backstory and the get into my current situation. I have been a regular smoker for about 7 or 8 years. For the past year or so DH and I have scalled back the smoking quite a bit, what we did was but 1 pack of smokes he would smoke half and then I would smoke the other half and a pack has been lasting us about a day and a half. DH has been very active his whole life, played all kinds of sports, mixed martial arts, rotc then military. My background is pretty much the opposite my childhood/adolescence was spent in my bedroom reading and listening to music then my early adult life was spent in a bar.

Now Monday and my wake up call... I have been sick for about a month now, very irritating nasal issues and a persistent cough. I haven't been running a fever so I pretty much tried everything under the sun to do home treatment, nothing worked. Finally broke down Monday and went into to see my doctor. He is a great doctor smart, funny not condescending at all.

So I go into to the doctor and he tells me that I have chronic bronchitis which if left untreated will lead to COPD and lung disease. He tells me that I dont have to quit smoking I just have to quit smoking cigarettes, kinda looked at him funny while he explained that I should switch over to electronic cigarettes. I can still get my nicotine without inhaling a bunch of burnt leaves. He gives me an inhaler which I now have to use twice a day, 2 antibiotics, a corticosteroid and some various other medicines to treat the bronchitis and I have to go back in a few weeks for a followup.

I should explain that DH has never had a problem quitting it has always been me that cant give up the smoke. Yesterday we bought a few disposable e cigs to have until we can order a decent starter kit off of the internet. So technically I have not had a tobacco cigarette since 2:00 yesterday afternoon. This is the first time that we have tried to quit smoking that I have actually been on board. The e cigs we bought menthol taste like mint and they seem to get the job done cause I haven't had a craving yet and this is the longest I have ever gone without a tobacco cig.
So I am a smoker and I can not stand to workout! I am not fat I am about 10-15 pounds overweight. How am I a so called prepper going to do any good for myself or my family in tshtf if I can't even take care of myself now. I will start a workout and be all excited aboutit, "I'm really gonna do it this time, blah,blah,blah,etc,etc,etc". It will usually last maybe 2 weeks before I find some reaso to quit. I realize this has to be real aggravating for DH as he just wants me to be healthy and everytime I start a new workout I give him the spill about how this time will be the time that sticks and it never does.

So here is where I am at now...I am done for good for real with tobacco cigs, the e cigs are enough for me, but I really have to start taking care of myself. Quitting smoking is a good start but I have to lose a little weight, get in shape and be able to carry my own weight. I know that DH loves me and wouldn't leave me behind but its not fair of me to ask him to carry extra weight because I am to lazy to take 30-45 minutes out of my day to do some exercises! Maybe out here in SB land somebody else is going through a similar situation, if you are how are you doing? I know what needs to be done so I guess now is time to put up or shut up!

·
Ding... Thanks for playin
4,922 Posts
Get a dog, then take it for fast pace walks twice a day for 30 minutes each time…
Then you have a little home protection with the dog and you are getting is shape without "Working out"

·
world is full of crazy
322 Posts
Just about the same boat myself. Every year I get some kind of infection and I currently have a cold that I hope doesn't turn into bronchitis or another inner ear infection.

If I only ate right, I would lose the pounds. My job is very active and I burn a lot of calories throughout the day + I walk to work and sometimes walk home.

Last couple of weeks I've not bought smokes on my days off so I could go as long as possible without them, but I always end up bumming some from others if they smoke. But those times were different from other times I've tried quitting - it was easier and doable. I just need to put a handle on it and quit.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Just start walking. Get your DH (what does this mean anyway?) to go with you. Make it something the two of you do together to wind down and and get some together time. Maybe work into carrying a light pack when you do walk to get used to adding some weight on your shoulders.

I'm a runner myself, and so is my wife, but she can run circles around me, literally. I can run half the distance she does and she'll be done before I am. The thing I've learned about lifestyle changes is that you can't be too aggressive when starting them. Most folks that join a gym and go on a diet all at the same time loose their steam and the whole thing falls apart. Start by making one simple change in your life, do that for a few weeks, then make another small change. Pretty soon you don't feel good if you miss your walk or you eat at whataburger. You notice how these things make you feel better and the way you feel is the motivation to keep you going.

Point is you don't have to tackle everything at once to adopt a healthy lifestyle. You can incorporate small changes that will add up over the course of months and before you know it, you're training for a marathon and you are the healthiest you've ever been in your life.

Oh and by the way, I'm an ex smoker myself. I went the gum route and find it works for me. My sister tried the E-Cigs, but that didn't last for her. Not saying you'll have the same results, but there are tons of options for quitting smoking. If one doesn't work, try something else. Pretty soon, just buying a pack of smokes will make you want to quit anyway, what with the new graphic pictures of what smoking will do to your body and what not.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Start jogging around the neighborhood. Each day just go one mailbox further than the day before. Don't think of it in terms of miles, think of it in terms of each day you will add 1 mailbox more to the distance you cover. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Health is the most important prep you could have. If you lose everything, but are healthy, you stand a decent chance at regaining what you need to survive.

There is no magic trick to keep you exercising. It all has to come from within. You have to constantly remind yourself of what the risks are if you continue to skip it. Even on those days where you don't want to crawl out of bed and get to the walking/cycling/etc., you just have to force yourself to do it.

But I can say that the thing that helps the most is when both husband/wife (or other) are doing it together. It's more motivating to have someone sticking with it with you, and then you can enjoy time together exercising, hiking, walking, etc.

I smoked for 8 years, up to a pack a day regularly, until I saw a co-worker coughing blood from his life long smoking. That was it. I quit, and never looked back. Now I'm in extremely good health, have a lot more energy, and save TONS of money per year. Just think about how much more money you'll have for preps when you quit entirely (e-cigs too).

Take care of yourself (and good luck). You only get one body.

·
Patient Zero of WWZ
5,334 Posts
Hide you e-cig in a hollow tree in a park 2 miles form home.

Walk there every time you need a smoke. :)

·
Registered
366 Posts
Congratulations on waking up

Your at a fork in the road.

Smoking and inactivity is the downhill road to the swamp of misery.

Quitting smoking and becoming more active is the uphill road to
a healthy ridge with scenic views. It's more work, but the payoff
is huge.

RE exercise -
I think the trick is to find something that's fun and interesting.
If it's exciting and challenging that's even better !

The gym bores me, but riding my bicycle or walking outside is enjoyable.
This weekend some friends and I are going to run a river in our canoes.
I'm really looking forward to that.
10 years ago I took up surfing.
On a good day surfing is so much fun that I stay out till I'm exhausted !
Planning a surf trip months in advance motivates me to go for paddling workouts on Lake Michigan, and to swim at the gym.
Prior to taking up surfing I rarely swam at the gym.
I'm not suggesting surfing for you, but there must be something that you would like to learn or try.
How about dance lessons ?
Or lessons on riding horses ?
Or some kind of martial art ?
Anything that would be fun and interesting enough to motivate you.

I like Gunner- Fishermans' suggestion to get a dog.
Dogs do motivate people to walk.

Good luck !

·
Still here...
1,153 Posts
Congratulations! This is a big step.

First, get over the bronchitis! It does you no good to think about how you're not working out while you're still sick. Let your body heal until you're medically cleared to start working out. You'll do more harm than good if you start working out before you're over this.

And don't think about the other times in the past where you tried to quit/get in shape. They were practice. You can do this.

·
greatest gift...bullets
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone! :D:
I have 2 dogs one is 5 and our lil baby is 5 months so I am outside with her a pretty good bit, that did give me an interesting idea, from now on when I take her outside I will throw my pack on. That way I will get used to having my pack on and burn a few more calories. We lead a pretty active lifestyle already. We have 2 dogs, 6 goats, we run our own security business, and we take care of hubbys 81 yr old granpa who still thinks he is 40! We will get over to his house in the morning to check on him and he will be in the garage trying to get the ladder out to get on the roof! He has alzheimers/dementia, diabetes, high blood pressure and a few months ago had several mini strokes. He keeps us pretty active himself.
Since we have started taking our preps further and getting more serious about them I need to get just a little more serious about myself.
I really need to find a new activity that will burn calories and keep my attention. What all do you guys do to be just a little more active or healthy? Do you prefer outdoor activities, going to the gym or doing exercises indoors?
I really fell like I am done smoking cigarettes, any other time we have tried to quit by this time my head was spinning! Lol. I think that after a week of not smoking I am gonna feel a lot better and will hopefully have a little more energy to go that extra mile. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
I really need to find a new activity that will burn calories and keep my attention. What all do you guys do to be just a little more active or healthy? Do you prefer outdoor activities, going to the gym or doing exercises indoors?
A large garden using only hand tools to tend it. It's a good workout, and gives you a source of fresh food. And it's enjoyable to see what you can produce, learn from it, etc.

·
greatest gift...bullets
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Keep it up! You can and will do it. It took me a whole year to give up smoking. I know its hard.
It has been hard in the past mainly I think because I didn't want to quit. This time though I am actually feeling the damge that I have done to my body, plus I have an alternative that I think is actually working for me with the E Cigs. I am only one day into it so thanks for the positive thoughts and keep sending em my way!

:D:

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
As others have said try going for a walk everyday, but each day walk a few feet further. This way you slowly build up to mileage and you wont feel the difference. If you can change the landscape (ie flats and hills) to build up muscles.

Dont worry about any other addiction (shopping etc) while your giving up smoking, concentrate on one at a time. Iv not given up smoking but I was a chocoholic and had to go cold turkey - I found later I had a zinc and selenium deficiency which is in chocolate.

Making a committed decision (life and death) is the key to change. Make it sooooooo painful to not give up smoking that you will do it, and keep doing it.

Dont be tempted just to have one, as this brings back the addiction full force, just keep away from it as much as you can. Put the money you save aside and after a few months go buy something you both need and enjoy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for sharing your story mrs.nagantghost.

Wake up calls like this can be both scary and enlightening at the same time, it seems you have taken the news on board and are running (no pub intended) with it to positively improve your life. I commend you! :)

As people have already said, 30-45 mins of exercise is all the body needs to shock it into burning fat. If you can try interval cardio training. It hurts at first but after a while you get used to it and look forward to the intense part.

The good part of interval training is it isn't monotonous so you don't get board and it keeps your body guessing.

Dave

·
V
21,713 Posts
OP I can somewhat sympathise;

6yrs ago I gave up smoking, just after the birth of my girls I decided I wanted to be there for them more than I wanted to suck on a deathstick. Last year we started the gym my wife was more into it than me I just sort of went along not expecting it to last very long. Don't get me wrong I wanted too but as you said “lazy” and tbh I thought it was just another of DW`s fads lol
Now I go 3-4 times a week I feel bad when I can't go, I prefer going with DW but if the kids are off I`ll go at 7am when they open then drop DW off later while I watch the kids,

I`ll be honest in a lil over 12months I've only lost about 2.5stone but I've lost inches all over and my fitness\stamina levels have increased by leaps and bounds. It soon becomes a part of your routine and not a chore, simply walking or cycling more would be a benefit take the stairs instead of elevator or escalator it all adds up :thumb:

Goodluck :D:

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Perhaps start off small. Try walking in your neighborhood. This is free but a good investment in your health. If you have a bike, ride that. Agree to ride it or walk 3x a week, then increase the number of times you walk or ride or the distance after a period of time. If you don't have time or the inclination to walk your neighborhood, go to a local park and do it there, or try the mall. Make it a serious walk a few times around, then window shop. Start parking away from the store and your job. Take the stairs. Eat healthy if you don't already. You'll be amazed at how easy it is to add little bits into your day without having to go to the gym for a workout.

I don't know about you, but with my life I don't have time to visit a gym.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Well done on trying to quit. It wont be easy, but you can do this!

Reactions: mrs.nagantghost
1 - 20 of 28 Posts