Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Time for Common Sense...
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Medic pack is nearly complete except for a few items...

I need sources to obtain the following:

Hespan units 1000cc in sterile packages
5% Dextrose units 1000cc in sterile packages
Over the needle 18, 20 and 22 ga. catheters sterile packs
Butterfly catheters sterile packs
Inside the needle catheters sterile packs
military / LE grade tourniquet
60 drip microsets sterile packs

If anyone can give me a source to obtain and also any items I may have missed comments and advice are most welcome...check out my album " Medic Pack " for specifics and let me know re: missing items please...

Thanks in advance...

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,685 Posts

If anyone can give me a source to obtain and also any items I may have missed comments and advice are most welcome...check out my album " Medic Pack " for specifics and let me know re: missing items please...

Thanks in advance...

Hespan units 1000cc in sterile packages- Cost prohibitive, use Saline instead

5% Dextrose units 1000cc in sterile packages - Use Saline instead, do you know why dextrose is used in certain situations?

Over the needle 18, 20 and 22 ga. catheters sterile packs--I can see that
Butterfly catheters sterile packs, --- why if you have IV catheters?

Inside the needle catheters sterile packs- why?

military / LE grade tourniquet- army surplus store, call my buddy here, he has the new Israeli ones, as well as bloodstopper sponges and powder.
http://www.oldgrouch.com

60 drip microsets sterile packs, again why, planning on medication drips? You don't want a 60gtt on a trauma patient you want a 10gtt or a 15gtt.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mate what about bandages, suture kits, sterile fields, alco swabs, tape, and stuff like that, the amount of fluids you have listed would be good for a hang over.

kahn's 100% right about the gauge of the needle. "You don't want a 60gtt on a trauma patient you want a 10gtt or a 15gtt." Try putting a 14G into person in shock.

It's good to have training and a complete kit.

·
Time for Common Sense...
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Doc for your reply...
You are right in your words...I have a friend that is medically trained that will train me in the proper techniques if I obtain the supplies he request I gather. However, he is very capable of teaching me everything I'd need to know and also I would be added benefit to him as I would be aiding him if his experience is ever needed in the field in a stand alone situation...thanks for your reply, BC

·
Time for Common Sense...
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dovehunter...thanks for your reply...I'll be in touch shortly for your assistance ...let me get some $$$ together, as some of the items are a little pricey based on what I have heard...thanks again, BC

·
Time for Common Sense...
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Kahn,
Thnaks for your reply. To answer your words as best as I know how currently, I had heard Hespan units remain better in the patient's system vs. dextrose over time of infusion volume wise and were better for trauma situations. 1 unit of Hespan also = about 5 units of dextrose, so weight volume carried in the field is also an issue positive. I will lookup Dextrose vs. Saline preferred uses and situations dictating where each is more applicable. Butterfly and inside the needle catheters only if over the needle catheters aren't available for purchase / use and one must know methods to employ all three types...I agree butterflies are prone to venous puncture and infusion spillage to local areas and prone to vunerable to jarring / movement of patient over rough terrain. In needle catheters are difficult to use in field application, but knowledge is needed if that's all there is to work with...I will contact your buddy very soon to work out purchases for items he has, thanks...I agree 10 drip set is what I'd most likely ever have use for instead of 60 drip set...If medication ever needed to be introduced a piggyback from test port location might be necessary; that would be the only scenario where I might see a 60 come into usage...but this is probably unlikely...I am trying to learn all there is to be able to perform this effectively as a primary or as an assistant to someone else in a field medical / trauma environment. I have a buddy that is medically professionally trained that is willing to teach me what I need to know and I'm also willing to attend classes / training if necessary to obtain all the correct knowledge needed. Valuable skills sets learned correctly and properly are even more valuable if a crisis situation presents that you must employ them...I never want to stop learning new things that may someday help...myself, my family or someone else...thanks for your reply, BC

·
Time for Common Sense...
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi legsofahighlander,
Thanks for your reply...the items you mentioned I already have acquired in sufficient quantities for what I would see to be reasonable amounts.

I agree with Kahn and your words...I appreciate them very much...
I am in process of obtaining correct training as needed to ensure my skill set is correct and can be competently applied if needed, whether as a primary or an assist capacity to another.
Thnaks again for your words...most appreciated, BC

·
Burner
669 Posts
Thanks Doc for your reply...
You are right in your words...I have a friend that is medically trained that will train me in the proper techniques if I obtain the supplies he request I gather. However, he is very capable of teaching me everything I'd need to know and also I would be added benefit to him as I would be aiding him if his experience is ever needed in the field in a stand alone situation...thanks for your reply, BC
Whoa whoa whoa! So you have a friend who is going to teach you how to start IV's?!? :eek: Who are you gonna practice on, each other? And are you gonna practice a couple days a week? I've been in EMS for over 18 yrs, 12+ as a medic and 3 as a spec and with 15 yrs of starting iv's on a reg. basis let me tell you even that doesnt insure 100% success rates. If you think I'd let somebody start a line on me because his bud showed him how, you better hope I'm unconscious because if I aint your gonna get that cath stuck in your tushy ;)

Sure, have your buddy show you how to set up an IV, bag and drip set, rip off a few pieces of tape and hand him what he needs, but dont go starting no lines on somebody if, a: you are not trained by your states ems program to the appropriate level, and b: off duty you are not operating above the scope of your licensure, or a bls level, whichever your jurisdiction allows.

Not trying to harsh your buzz, buts theres alot more to starting an iv then sticking a needle in somebody. Learn it the proper way. :thumb:

·
Registered
138 Posts

Thanks in advance...
As an urban paramedic for over 10 years and as a physician assistant in a surgical ICU I can honestly say that I would not pack anything from your list. Well, ok maybe the 18 and 20 ga caths, but that is it. Hespan can cause allergic reactions and increased bleeding. D5 provides minimal maintenance fluid/calories. Micro drip has already been addressed. Tourniquet, well never needed one but could improvise if I had to. I would reccommend you save your money and take a reputable EMT or first responder course. Bad care, even if given with good intentions can make things much worse.

·
Registered
131 Posts
RE Serious feild medic pack items

Im gonna repost this!!!

I would just focus on ABCs
BSI-Nitrile gloves,Eye protection,face shield,N-95 masks

Airway-Magills forceps,laryngoscope w/disposable blades,extra bulbs,batteries(for removing foreign body airway obstruction),OPAs,NPAs Id be cautious of carrying more invasive airways(ET Tubes) or crich stuff for off duty use due to legal liabilities if anything maybe a King or Combitube(non-latex)

Breathing-Bag Valve Mask,Pocket Mask(no mouth to mouth this way),If you really want to carry Oxygen and a regulator around you could throw in some Nasal Cannulas and NRB Masks(I know I wont) Needle Decompression Kits a no go due to liabilities,legal,risk of infection etc...

Circulation-occlusive dressing(for GSW/Sucking chest or neck wounds),Quick Clot,Kravats,Sterile gauze pads(various sizes),Waterproof tape,Bandage shears,Tourniquets(w/ sharpie to mark TK or TQ and time applied on pt's forehead),small splint, again id be cautious about IV supplies due to legal liability for off duty use(plus if you give too much fluid to someone who's bleeding out you are just diluting the good oxygenated blood with saline.) add band-aids,liquid band aids,butterfly bandages etc...

Disability-Adjustable Cervical Collar,Maybe some splints and Kravats-Don't move them!!!
Meds-
chewable baby Aspirin-Cardiac chest pain dose(4 81mg tablets=324mg)(or 1 325mg pill regular aspirin)

Benadryl(Diphenhydramine)-at least 2 25mg pills for allergic reactions

If you or a close loved one is deathly allergic to bees, CARRY YOUR EPI-PEN everywhere!!!

any prescribed Nitro spray/tabs/paste,Albuterol or Atrovent inhalers, or blood sugar regulating meds,Pain meds

OTC-antibiotic cream,Anti-diarrheals,Tylenol(fever reduction),Ibuprofen/NSAIDs (to reduce swelling/inflammation/Pain)

Id possibly add Oral glucose,glucometer(for diabetic emergencies) and Activated Charcoal for Poisonings by mouth(doesnt adsorb every ingested poison) so have your local poison control center number in your phone!

Seriously if you arent trained you shouldnt be doing the invasive procedures or non-OTC meds.You are just a liability GET TRAINING!!! start with CPR (american heart association)

If you are off duty and dont have a cardiac monitor,AED or drug box or all the supplies of an ambulance, they dont need you they need to be to a hospital!!! The most important thing you can do is call it in(early) and try to assist the best you can until help arrives. Its ridiculous some of the things people carry around with them without thinking about what effect it will have out in the field w/o the controlled environment of a hospital to end up in. One word INFECTION!!!

These are the only things I would carry around with me while off duty and Im a liscensed paramedic. Anyone who is not trained and would carry all this stuff and not know how to use it is just a liability in my opinion.

alright , enough bitching from me
have fun putting together your med kits!! learn what your good samaritan laws cover and what they dont if you dont want to get sued/jailed in spite of saving someones life!!
:eek:

·
Survivor
233 Posts
Great post from Medic7.62

And the Warnings given by Him and others are deadly serious, however that being said in a true SHTF or TEOTWAWKI Senario who cares about being sued, like theres gonna be a court or a judge/lawyer left alive..........

But seriously mate remember the first 2 most in portant rules when it comes to first aid..

1. Dont become a casualty your self
2. Dont do more harm that good.

Learn the skills its good to know, but if you ever plan on using the skills for real, make sure you kniw what your doing, what can go wrong, and how to correct the things that can go wrong...... stay safe buddy

·
Time for Common Sense...
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks to all who have posted ! It's nice to see there are so many very qualified and capable folks on here that can help and provide knowledge to those of us willing to learn and expand our practical knowledge and skills...most helpful !

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,685 Posts
As for the Quick Clot craze, I like Celox and Superstat. Why? Unlike Quick Clot, if needed Celox and Superstat can be left IN the body as the body will absorb them w/o issue because they're collagen.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I just had a physical today and I and was telling the doctor about my cabin and somehow we got onto First Aid Kits. He reached in the drawer and filled a gallon zip loc with povidone/iodine swabs, ouchless pads, bandages, tape, gauze and other little goodies for me!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.