Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
I wonder how many scaled down set ups like that there are in this country, and how you would find the listings. Maybe even just a 1,000 sq ft dwelling underground

·
More than .0001%
1,413 Posts
A while ago I found a web site that sold underground bunkers of all sizes and condition. Some wre finished and many were unfinished, mostly missile silos. The price on some were less than $200k to many millions like the OP referenced. I always wondered how much maintenance and upkeep was required, as compared to a above ground home.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bunkers like that are typically located out in the middle of 'no-where' America and are pretty sweet. People have made all types of recreation venues from some as well. Like flooding them for scuba diving to rock climbing walls, etc. It'd be cool if you could somehow "multipurpose" something like that for reasonably low cost.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bunkers

AT&T build about 150 of them during the cold war in the 60's and 70's. They were pretty much the same construction. EMP proof, air filtration, their own wells or underground water storage tanks, generators both standard and gas turbine, plus were designed to withstand 20 megatons at two miles!. They were main stations on the Long Lines communications cable network. They also housed the military's AUTOVON switching system, before DSN for you younger folks! They're usually quite pricey and were built away from major cities for obvious reasons. There is one in Nebraska that you can actually go and tour. With the advent of satellite and fiber optics the old buried copper cable systems went by the wayside.

·
D. Gibbons is a bad man
5,893 Posts
My main issue with many of these shelters on the market is that the location is known to the kind of people that have figured that your preps and shelter is theirs when things start heading south.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
My main issue with many of these shelters on the market is that the location is known to the kind of people that have figured that your preps and shelter is theirs when things start heading south.

Same issue with someone else building it for you. And 300sqf for 80k...that hurts.

I'd feel pretty uncomfortable with it.

·
Near The Glow
901 Posts
Same issue with someone else building it for you. And 300sqf for 80k...that hurts.

I'd feel pretty uncomfortable with it.
Kind of in the same boat. I think I could make better do with 80 grand and NOT putting in a "bunker" that looks a heck of a lot like a prison cell...

...not a comforting comparison :). However the OP's bunker I'd be more than happy with... you had me at "blast door"

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
Better to rent a backhoe and pour a pad, square bastions set at an angel at every corner for 15' high above ground, 10' deep and 20 x 20 wide towers, sheet metal roofing, sod cover. Storage in each on both levels with shooting holes for kill zones, like a star fort. Girdered ceiling poured and earth covered. Earth atabas ramps situated out from th wall at various distances, cover for you from bullets but not for attackers. Buried sallie hole tunnels, gravel floored block walls going out 70 yds for counter attacks and enfalades for kill pockets.

Same price, not a cave and a grave combo. You and your group can do this. You could add one every couple years 100 yds apart to form a triangle or square. Lots of grazing land and kill zones in and outside that formation.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Well that's a Mad Max world. Yes that's a possibility but I was thinking more along the lines of how great it would be to have your pad at a constant 55 degrees fahrenheit, to have no worries about wind or fire damage, etc. Basically coming at it from a preppers standpoint that falls short of Mad Max.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts