Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How effective are these things? Saw another thread about them recently... Amazon has them on ad today and I'm tempted but wondering if worth the money.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
reluctant sinner
17,520 Posts
No clue. I like the Sportsman's Blankets, very tough. Their bag looks like its made from the same stuff. I don't do well in a plastic bag - sweating. A blanket is easier to ventilate, plus it can be used as a reflective tarp.

Same price. I plan to take 4 SB and sew them into a tent, with an extra cheap mylar blanket laminated to a roughed up cotton sheet for an inside frost collector and an extra layer of thermal shield - hopefully I can hide from FLIR.

Looks like they changed the name again. I have the ones without the hood in the corner

https://www.rei.com/product/157767/...MIoJncpIaG5wIVD7vsCh1ViQ0REAQYAyABEgJ4DfD_BwE

·
Retired Army
5,536 Posts

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
4.1 oz. really not much more weight than a std mylar emergency blanket.
IIRC, a heavy weight space blanket comes in at 11oz.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The blanket from REI looks pretty interesting. I already have some mylar survival blankets, keep one in my field jacket (winter coat) and one in my carry on suitcase along with a blanket. (I fly way too much for work so carry a few things like a water filter bottle, protein bars, etc...)

Not ideal but I could probably handle sleeping in a big potato chip bag is it was the only way to stay warm. Moisture getting out is something I'm wondering about and sleeping with head under covers is probably a bad idea I would guess.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts