Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Behind Enemy Lines
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I dont want to sound like a little girl, but when it comes to loud noises, my ears dont like it very much. I, however, enjoy somethings that are loud. I'm getting a firearm soon and need to figure out whats good to use for ear protection.

Do the foam ear plugs work good?
Or is it better to have the big ear protectors that cover your whole ear?

If anyone else has sensative ears as I do, can you tell me what you do about the noise?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I use the big ear protectors. Have used the foam ones before but didnt like the feel of that thing shoved in my ear and it didn't really reduce the noise that much IMO. You can get the big ones pretty cheap at ChinaMart.

If you want to spend the extra money you can get the ones that let you hear what people around you are saying but cut off the sound when it detects a gun shot.

Reactions: Maverick88

·
Banned
3,760 Posts
I don't have sensitive ears, I have rather bad ears, but in general I can tell you this:

Those big hearing protectors are a lot better then foam plugs, but it depends on what foam plugs you use. If you really have sensitive ears you can use both the ear plugs and the big earmuff like things. That way you will hear very little, but only earmuffs are enough protection, the plugs would only be extra comfort.

I only use ear muffs, it's enough protection. Only foam plugs is not enough, you might get hearing damage that way. Using both is overkill, but if you feel comfortable with it, just go your own way. :)

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I have worked around jet engines for all of my aviation maintenance career and of course, I shoot.

The foam ear protectors work well for the most part on the flightline, but at the range and when running an aircraft for testing in afterburner, I wear double ear protection [foam plugs and earmuff style].

It has payed off, as even at 52 years old and 24 years of working aircraft maintenance and target shooting, my hearing is excellent.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Always use hearing protection. I keep a box of plugs in my car just in case. Look to be sure they have protection of at least 29 decibles. Get good cups if you want to use those.

·
Diamond Dog
1,504 Posts
For smaller guns, i just use foam plugs or the big ear muffs, for larger guns, i use both together.

Reactions: sassytexan74

·
Looking upward
211 Posts
it also depends on if Im in an indoor range, out hunting, or outside target shooting....

I use both indoors, I use the muffs when shooting, plugs when someone else is shooting, nothing when im hunting. I want to be able to hear the leaves and twigs crack, rustle, etc.

·
Banned
3,760 Posts
If caring about your hearing makes you a *****, I'll gladly be a *****. When in combat, your ears are your first line of defense, the SAS combat handbook says so!

·
Registered
937 Posts
I have sensative hearing and in the past some load nosies has caused me to have a seizure.

I use the blue muffs and work great and I can hear others around me and it muffles the sound to where it dosnt bother me.

I forgot my ear protection one time and I shot a .25acp handgun and my ears range for hours. I will never do that again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts