Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a inexpensive semi auto 30-06. Any suggestions on any? Thanks in advanced RH

·
Tacoma WA
182 Posts
1919. Not too inexpensive, but a great weapons platform.

A company in Northern OR will make and or mill your receiver for a semi-auto version. Not rock solid on the details.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Remington Auto 74. Got mine last summer for $254 with sling and 12x variable scope.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
If I was going to get an auto loading 30-06 it would be a M1 Garand. Oh wait a minute, I did! And yes it was a MI Garand!

The 74 and the BAR are nice guns designed for hunting, and for that role they work good enough for walking through the woods or sitting in a stand making a couple of shots on deer during the season. I seriously doubt though they could take much in the way of punishment though from sustained use and firing long stings of shots before breaking and or over heating. The 6mm 74 my Dad has is great for a few shots out hunting and is pretty mild on the recoil as a result of the design, but I think thats about as far as it goes before you puch it beyond its designed parameters and start to seriously abuse it. Thats just my opinion though...

Seriously get a Garand! It might need a few worn parts replaced but its a damn solid gun. If thats too heavy for you get a fiberglass/composite stock to shave about a pound off it. Yes they make 3 and 5 round modified enblocs for it to make it legal to hunt with, I have a few of them! They look a bit ghetto but they work and thats all that really counts.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Garand is probably the best, if not the only way to go. My garand will cycle through any .30-06 ammo I feed it. It's tough and reliable and I can hit a target at 5-600 yards no problem.

·
Lurker
118 Posts
Garand is probably the best, if not the only way to go. My garand will cycle through any .30-06 ammo I feed it. It's tough and reliable and I can hit a target at 5-600 yards no problem.
The Garand was designed to use the M2 .30 cartridge (150 grain FMJ). Feeding it anything else is not reccomended. Your rifle may tolerate other loads, but you are risking damage.

·
PreparationInBubbaNation
2,503 Posts
I am in the market for a inexpensive semi auto 30-06. Any suggestions on any? Thanks in advanced RH
i think it is called an M1 Garand :upsidedown:

Try looking at a Dragunov (SVD) and having the chamber reamed

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
i think it is called an M1 Garand :upsidedown:

Try looking at a Dragunov (SVD) and having the chamber reamed

Not a very good idea. The 7.62x54R cartridge is a as the R indicates a rimmed cartridge. The dimensions are to different to allow without extensive modification such a conversion.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.62x54R
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.30-06_Springfield

I can find no reference to a sucessful conversion by reaming.
:rolleyes:Suggest you do some research before making such a comment.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Besides the fact that 54R bullets are .310 or .311 not .308.
Not a real factor. I have used .308 bullets sucessfully and with very good accuracy in several 7.62x54R chambered firearms. Despite the missinformed myth . 308's do not rattle down the barrel.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
I have owned both the Remington Semi 7400? and BAR. I hunted with the BAR for years, and finally conluded it was too damn heavy to hunt in NYS with. I now use primalry Weatherby Vanguard for hunting. Awesome accuracy.

I would advise against the Remington semi. It is accurate, but a bit tought to maintain and in my expereince, tends to rust a bit in the breach closed position. Locks closed, and need a block of wood to reopen.

Garand or Springfield may be the way to go for semi 30-06 IMHO.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I bought a beat SA M1 Garand and had it rebuilt and refinished with a new match barrel and new walnut stocks. It looks and shoots better than new and is my most prized firearm posession, the one I most look forward to someday giving to my son....

I just wish .30-06 ammo wasn't so expensive these days......

1 - 20 of 20 Posts