Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Banned
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was thinking about adding one to the safe, was just wanting to see if there are any OWNERS out there with some valuable input, please none of the he-said she-said bullcrap..
Would it reach out and touch something 300-400 yards out there?? Id like to keep it .223 for ammo stockpiling reasons ( I own a couple others that shoot .223).. I have heard some things about their accuracy right out of the box.. Would I have to dump a bunch of money in it to get it to shoot straight?? I have "heard" similar stories about the factory 10/22, even though I didnt find that the case. Mine was a tack driver right out of the box..

Any input is much appreciated, thank you. :thumb:

·
Conservative
1,388 Posts
I own both a mini-14 and it's twin a mini-30, both late 80's manufacture. I like them both.
As far as reaching out and touching something at 300-400 yds, never tried it. 200 yds no problem. I can't see where there should be any difficulty hitting a man sized target at the ranges you specified, MOA probably not:)
I have put 1000's of rounds through both with no problems and I have yet to see one of these guns break.
From what I understand the newer models have better accuracy, I haven't shot one yet.
The only thing I don't like about my mini's is that they throw the brass so far away it can be difficult to retrieve it all if you want to keep it for reloading.
My mini's would be one of the last things to ever leave my collection.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Well you might have to dump some money to bring the accuracy in a little. An accustrut can improve the innacuracy caused by the radical and irregular barrel whip due to the thin poorly made barrel. Then a new small holed gas regulator will bring it in a little more. Most i have shot/ worked on shot about 3-5 moa so max effective range point target would be 200 yards-300 yards. But with some cash dumped in the thing you could get maybe 300-400yards. with the extra cash to accurize it you might as well get a ar-15 if you dislike ar's get a Golani sporter or a h&k c93 both of these have better accuracy and are usually better made.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I like my Mini-14 but then that could be I was trained on the M-14 so the operation was very familiar.

As to 300-400 yards I can't say but then that's why I have a bolt action Weatherby for the .223. ( I like having multiple firearms for the same rounds. )

The Mini-14 can lay down very effective firepower when needed at the closer ranges and I find it very dependable. I just don't expect pinpoint accuracy although there's no reason to apologize for what it can do; you wouldn't catch me dismissing it if I was the one down range.

·
zombie response team
3,188 Posts
new barrels are thicker and they say are more accurate/consistent. even for the older 'pencil barrel' ones they make a barrel stabilizer that is said to work great

·
Registered
178 Posts
I had a mini in 6.8spc (new model with the thicker barrels) and liked almost everything about the rifle; size, weight, balance, feel, mild recoil, and the reliable operating system.

The reason I no longer have it is because it was one of the most inaccurate rifles I had ever owned. Normal 100yard groups were about 4-6 inches or more and after about 5 or 6 rounds the groups opened up even more into the 8-10 inch region.

Could have added aftermarket devices to improve accuracy, but I did not want to spend 100+ dollars to make it "hopefully" shoot 2"-3" groups. If it would have shot 3" groups at 100 yards right out of the box, with minimal stringing I would have kept the rifle and been very happy. I researched and read a lot about mini's before buying and on some level knew what I might be getting into, just did not think it would be that bad.
I was not expecting 1/2" groups out of it, but was very disappointed with what I got.

Not trying to dissuade you, just letting you know about my experiences. I so badly wanted that rifle to work out! Now, just don't think I would try another mini again.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Shoot one of the newer 580-581 series of minis and no one will have to sell you on it. My 580 with the tapered barrel will stay 3" or under at a hundred with steel cased Monarch ammo from Academy. Thats the best I can do with my remington bolts and marlin leveractions so I am sure with a scope the groups would be less than 2" and with good ammo maybe even better. Thats with 54 year old eyes doing the shooting.

I have no trouble with the barrel changing POI after it heats up either. And I have shot it 40 rounds in a row just to see if it would. I have never had a single malfuntion with this rifle.

As far as throwing brass far away the first mini I had would do that. I bought smaller gas bushings from ASI and that solved that problem. The newest mini I have has a gas hole in the barrel that is smaller than the smallest gas bushing I bought. It throws empties about 8-12 feet away.

As for shooting 300-400 yards away I am sure I could hit a man at 300 yards pretty easy. I just bought a laser range finder and 400 yards is a looong ways out there. If I could get a rest I might could do it. I know every other poster can snap shoot an MOA group offhand at 400 yards but I would have to work very hard to do it. And that would be true even using a scoped bolt action rifle.

·
Registered
855 Posts
cons

The only GOOD magazines that appear to work and are in current production are from Ruger. They normally run about 30 buck vs 10 for an AR15 magazine.

Tactical reloads are a two hand operation.

Rugers are not set up for Tactical slings. (other than the model made for
Oklahoma Highway Patrol a couple of decades ago.)

pros

With a GOOD magazine, they run forever without jams.

The wood stock versions is heavy enough, that you could
still buttstroke someone with damaging the rifle:rolleyes::D:

·
Old Soldier
5,068 Posts
I bought a used Mini 14 for a cheap centerfire plinker. I would bet my life on it at close range. Right now mine's leaning against the wall at the head of the bed with a 20 round factory mag inserted.
Is it a 300 yard prairie dog rifle? No. Will it kill a man at 50 - 100 yards? Yes.
As for inserting/removing magazines, it's the same motion as M14/M1A or AK47. No big deal.

·
Lux in Tenebris
6,712 Posts
cons

The only GOOD magazines that appear to work and are in current production are from Ruger. They normally run about 30 buck vs 10 for an AR15 magazine.

Tactical reloads are a two hand operation.

Rugers are not set up for Tactical slings. (other than the model made for
Oklahoma Highway Patrol a couple of decades ago.)

pros

With a GOOD magazine, they run forever without jams.

The wood stock versions is heavy enough, that you could
still buttstroke someone with damaging the rifle:rolleyes::D:
For the sling, just get a small, quality carabiner that just slips over the front sight, double up some 550, connect to 'biner, web sling, and then double up some 550 around stock grip area, tie to web and viola, improvised tacticool sling just like we did in the army...

Changing mags on the mini is simple enough when practiced..no biggy..lots of soldiers swapped m-14 mags quick enough.....

Factory mags are the only way to go.....20-30 rndrs...

·
Master of Sparks
399 Posts
Was thinking about adding one to the safe, was just wanting to see if there are any OWNERS out there with some valuable input, please none of the he-said she-said bullcrap..
Would it reach out and touch something 300-400 yards out there?? Id like to keep it .223 for ammo stockpiling reasons ( I own a couple others that shoot .223).. I have heard some things about their accuracy right out of the box.. Would I have to dump a bunch of money in it to get it to shoot straight?? I have "heard" similar stories about the factory 10/22, even though I didnt find that the case. Mine was a tack driver right out of the box..

Any input is much appreciated, thank you. :thumb:

To answer you direct questions: I do own a mini 14 purchased in 1979 when I was on active duty and the price was right. It will reach out and touch something at 300 yards, just probably not the something you are aiming at.
I am an expert military trained marksman and have shot most all military small arms in competition, including the M-14. The mini 14 ain't no M-14 by any stretch even allowing for the difference in cartridges of the two.
I still own my mini. It would not be my first choice among 5.56 caliber rifles for any distance. Are the new model mini's more accurate? Undoubtedly they must be. Will I spend more money to accurize mine? Nope. I will just shoot my AR with twice the accuracy out of the box and uses plentiful mags from a variety of sources. Am I an AR snob? No way. I just want to be able to shoot a sillouette at 300m with iron sights which my AR will do all day long.

·
Registered
51 Posts
losjedi

Everything Hatchet Jack said. I agree with. I bought the new tactical and with a cheap Simmons scope I was hitting my target beyond 300 yards. Yes I spent about $150.00 on 4 factory mags, three 30 round and 1 20 round and they are worth it. hopes this helps good luck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
MIni-14, never again. I had one. The worst accuracy of any rifle I ever owned.
Best 100 yd. group was about 4", most were 6" to 8".
Sorry, you couldn't give me a Mini-14.

·
Martian Invader from Mars
484 Posts
If your set on purchasing a Mini 14, make sure you get a new one (post '05 I believe). They have a thicker barrel, and maintain their accuracy under continuous operation.

I have one, and its a blast to shoot. There are guns that will be more accurate than the mini 14 - I will not deny this fact. However, the garand style action and sights make it one of the more reliable rifles on the market - this makes it a decent SHTF rifle, because it'll keep operating where other rifles have failed. It's easy to tear down, and easy to put back together.

Accessories can be a bit hard to find for it (like trying to mount a red dot/holo sight on it), but there are several after markets that will either let you scouterize the rifle, or put a picatinny rail mount above the action. I want to find one that will let me still shoot irons, but have a rail mount right above so I can put a red dot on it.

Swapping mags can be a pain, but its just like loading a mag into an AK - just pivot it, and your good to go. Removing them is a two hand operation though, but its still manageable and quick with training. Make sure you stick with ruger mags too, since after markets tend to not work as well. I have a used 30 round mag, but it doesn't work well at all - I can't say with a definitive conclusion that my issues are reflected in all 30 round mags though (it is a ruger brand mag, but its fairly old - it was free, so I'm not going to complain, lol).

Overall, I love this gun. Its a blast to shoot, its extremely reliable, and if you shoot reloads, it is fairly accurate. I made a sling for it (using a wide solomon bar, and about 160ish feet of 550), and then I wrapped my cheek weld with 550 as well, to give a little extra cushion and to remove some vibration.

·
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!
13,577 Posts
The Mini 14 does everything it was meant to do!

It is not meant to be a long range or combat weapon.

Mine has eaten every thing I've fed it and spit out the empties and that includes reloads and it's plenty accurate for what it is!

They are tough to boot, you can ride 'em with horses, 4-wheelers and around in the bed of the pick-up. You don't need to clean it as often as some of the high-tech weapons they sell these days. I've actually had to hose mine off to get the mud out it. Mine turns 29 this year

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
10,654 Posts
I have had several Mini-14's. My favorite was a Ranch Rifle that I got about 12 years ago. I would still have it but I was made an offer that I could not refuse. (someone traded me a very nice 12 String guitar that I still have. He got the ranch rifle and 1000 rounds of ammo) I do miss it though. My goto is an M1A so I doubt I will ever go looking for another. Still, if I found a good deal I would probably jump on it.
I did find that if a magazine didn't function well from the first time I used it, there was no reclaiming it. I never found any non-ruger mags worth using but that was over 10 years ago so there may be good aftermarkets out there now.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts