Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I'm newly interested in being prepared, and am starting out slowly. I currently have a 7.62x39 rifle, which is not exactly the best home defense weapon unless TSHTF already. I'm looking at either a shotgun such as the Mossberg 500, or a handgun. I've been shopping around today, I like the feel of the Mossberg, and can pick one up for around 200 bucks. In addition I've been handgun shopping. I can pick up a 45 acp Taurus Millinium for around 300, and I'd want to go ahead and take the class to get my concealed handgun liscense. This would bring my handgun total up to around 500. Though pricier, the advantages to me are I can use it to protect myself outside the home as well, while the shotgun is more limited to a hunting/in home defense roll while there is still any semblance of law and order.

Any thoughts which one should be my next purchase?

·
Banned
404 Posts
Hello all. I'm newly interested in being prepared, and am starting out slowly. I currently have a 7.62x39 rifle, which is not exactly the best home defense weapon unless TSHTF already. I'm looking at either a shotgun such as the Mossberg 500, or a handgun. I've been shopping around today, I like the feel of the Mossberg, and can pick one up for around 200 bucks. In addition I've been handgun shopping. I can pick up a 45 acp Taurus Millinium for around 300, and I'd want to go ahead and take the class to get my concealed handgun liscense. This would bring my handgun total up to around 500. Though pricier, the advantages to me are I can use it to protect myself outside the home as well, while the shotgun is more limited to a hunting/in home defense roll while there is still any semblance of law and order.

food ,water ...1st
you got a weapon that will work for self defense for shtf.
get your basics set aside per your plan
after that start picking up sidearms and shotties.
YMMV

·
Banned
85 Posts
I concur, handgun and ammo. Maybe think of food preps before shotgun, unless the shotgun will be used to gather food preps, i.e. venison. My theory is to get a months supply of essentials as soon as you can and then build from there. Once you get a few months ahead then look at the shotgun purchase. Not saying my theory is right, just what I would advocate.

·
Registered
317 Posts
handgun and a holster for it, maybe a vest holster theyre cool

and I haven't looked at the model you are looking at but Taurus pistols have gotten a lot better and can now compete with any brand out there. Taurus pistols also have a lifetime warranty even if you buy the gun used you still have the warranty.

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
handgun if you are lookin at protection, a handgun (and CCW) can be used both in and outside the home, kind of hard ta tote a mossberg on the street.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
a fire team...

Reactions: BobNidaho

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I'll be making a purchase fairly quickly here, probably a Taurus PT145. Appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
get a revolver. pull the trigger and it goes bang. no switches buttons levers.
if it doesnt go bang you pull the trigger again. simple. simple is important.

·
NRA Instructor-Ohio CCW
3,169 Posts
I have owned three Taurus semis. Happy with each one. I like my 24/7 Compact the best. In a smaller frame gun, I would go with the 40 rather than a 45.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have owned three Taurus semis. Happy with each one. I like my 24/7 Compact the best. In a smaller frame gun, I would go with the 40 rather than a 45.
I was initially worried about the larger caliber as well. However, about 95% of the feedback I've seen has been positive, and says this third generation has been improved and no longer has the frame cracking issues the first gen did. In the end, I prefer a .45 because I've shot them before, I'm comfortable with the round, and its a proven man stopper. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Thanks for the help guys. I'll be making a purchase fairly quickly here, probably a Taurus PT145. Appreciate it.
Try to find an indoor range that rents different makes/models of handguns. Get one that fits your hand, and that you can control with defensive ammunition. Try several-buy once
Just the unsolicited .02 of an old fart
talon-out

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks talon! There's a local range here. I've shot glocks, 1911s, Berettas, pretty much every semi they rent out. I like how the PT145 feels in my hand....but thats one gun they don't rent out :(. But I have shot compact .45 guns before and like them, so I think I'll be okay.

·
Survivalist
9 Posts

Buy what fit's you. Cost is nothing compared to the "right gun for you". If the pistol you want is good for you and costs 700 dollars and you buy a 300 dollar pistol that is not right for you, then your total cost for the CCW is 1000 dollars. You will eventually buy the one that is right. Just stick with the 7.62x39 till you have enough money to buy the best CCW for you. Prep costs alot, food, water, good bob gear, a BOL, Ammo. Figure out what you NEED and get it. Just make sure it is right so you don't waste money replacing it.

·
Registered
282 Posts
i ditto the fact of getting ur CCW first i would certainly do it because one it protects you everywhere even out of your house and two as others have said before it gets too hard to get i certainly wanna move to a new state that i can get mine as well

·
Registered
289 Posts
there's not problem with using a rifle for home defense--when on deployments--wife has m-4--main weapon+ large dogs--if she stands at top of stairs any rounds that miss will go into basement--we have pistols in house--m-4 w/ eotech works well- -if dogs get them they might be happy for relief L.O.L or not

1 - 20 of 93 Posts