Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
The end is near.
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has considered a flare gun for self defense? For myself I've got firearms appropriate for survival. However, if I lived in another country that prohibits firearms I might consider a flare gun.

I'll be the first to agree that no flare gun can come anywhere near matching modern firearms. However, a flare gun might beat no gun.

Your thoughts?

·
ruralist
1,441 Posts
However, if I lived in another country that prohibits firearms I might consider a flare gun.
Although the UK does not outright prohibit firearms, they aren't easy to attain so that is the sort of country I guess you mean. But one also needs a permit for a flaregun and a reason, such as a yacht and on that yacht you need a firearms grade cabinet fitted. Flares are legal without permit, but not flare guns.

With regards to their suitability in combat I think there was a Hollywood movie that ended with someone being totally owned with one :D:

·
Banned
653 Posts
You could mess someone up if you managed to hit them. They would also be handy for burning someone out of a structure if needed, they're mostly magnesium so throwing water on it is just gonna make it mad......

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
its like geting shot with a firework in a way.. it will burn someone bad if they get hit by it the problem is if its indoors you got a fire problem now as they dont get put out even in water because of the chemicals they use to keep the flare burning hot..

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
YOu can get the HK and the Czech ones from Sportsmans Guide and places like Military Gun Supply. The flares themselves are very expensive. I would not consider one as a firearm unless all other options are exhausted. If you are within your home also considedr they might burn your house down.

·
Minarchist (Jeffersonian)
3,306 Posts
Make your own adaptor or get a friend with machine shop skills, besides I think a 35mm will fire a 12ga shell if you make a sleeve for the shell to fit into, I think all you really need is the right size pipe a mig welder and a grinder, cant say more

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
This is a hot topic on many cruising sailors forums.
Most flare guns are looked on by other country's as guns and the Olen is a plastic gun and will not hold up to a load greater than a flare. The Russians made one that could fire a 12 gauge shell but I have never seen one. Best to not have anything they see as a gun or you will end up as Big Raoul's honey in some rat hole of a prison. Oh ya and you don't want to know why they call him Big Raoul.

·
Registered
60 Posts
their are adapers called the pirates plauge. they allow you to fire a single 38 or 45, and he atf doesnt consider them fire arms
Any idea where to get one? Got a link?
They are considered AOWs when you copossess that adapter and a flare gun. Also, when ATF FTB tested them, they caused catastrophic failure after 1 shot. The pressure is way too much for a flare gun- flares have a very low chamber pressure.

The only self defense round for a flare gun that might be practical are those OC/pepper rounds some companies advertise.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I have fired many 12ga flares from single shot shotguns over the years. The longer shotgun barrel gives the flares about 10x more range. We were firing some one night in a big field. A plane returned and started flying over the area. We did what any american kid would do.................. we ran like hell!

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,005 Posts
their are adapers called the pirates plauge. they allow you to fire a single 38 or 45, and he atf doesnt consider them fire arms
Congratulations! You have just figured out how to make an AOW under federal law. Now mere possession of an AOW is 5-10 in a federal, "now your bubba's wife" prison. Mere possession of an adapter to fire rifle or pistol rounds and a flare gun together is what is known as constructive possession. Telling someone to do it make that person as guilty as the one who does. All get the same 100 grand fine and 5-10 years.

This is a big no no. Don't get involved without the proper federal permits. Its possible, but most flare guns will suffer catastrophic failure, in fact almost all the feds tested did. This is a life threatening mistake. Get the AOW stamp and approved paperwork if you do something like this and find a good, safe remote controlled test pit that can take the failure. Non of the flare guns tested by the atf remained in one piece.

Bad Juju. stay away.

This thread needs to be locked.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I would not say use in your home but I think that this would be useful as a glove compartment or console weapon for your vehicle. Think about it a car jacker comes up to your vehicle or mugger walks up to your window while at the atm hit him in the face or chest with the flare not only is he in flames and trying to get away but he is now a bright becon for the cops to come pick him up.

·
Where da' gold at?
566 Posts
One time I was called to pick up a psych patient in a rural area. When we get there, the guy was armed with a flare gun and opened the door pointing it at us, it was the the type you get at Wal-Mart. Now, sparing all here the interesting chain of events, it ended peacefully, but as one who has had one pointed at them with intent to be used, let me say it will get your attention and make you think twice about the mini-flamethrower they have in their hand. While only one shot, all it takes is one, and playing human torch doesn't appeal to me.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.