Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bout 80lbs of rice, 30lbs of dried beans, various seasoning, about 5 gallons of oatmeal couple of sugar bags and some odds n ends.

I need to make my food stores lightweight and portable, so I only have a handful of canned goods. Mainly for spare pots. Lving in the suburbs, so might need to haul it out. I store things in some truck style rubbermaid boxes.

What else does anyone reccomend. Besides, I going to get sick of rice n beans n whatever my 22lr can pop. I also have a 3yr old daughter. Like most, trying to keep it affordable too. My goal is 6 months for 2 adults and one child.

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
You already have made it as portable as I could have by putting it into the rubber made tubs (I've done the same for some food). I'm not sure that making everything portable is a real solution. Some stuff should be portable if you need to leave but otherwise ask yourself where you would go to, for how long and why you don't have food there if using a BOL.

It seems like your asking two different questions in one. Would you like to know about good items to store in the home to spice up dishes during a time where food will be scarce or do you want to know about the best items to travel with? For traveling many choose MREs or mountain house.

Heres some small suggestions you probably already know.

Pasta is a good dry food. It keeps well and can be a good base ingredient.

The small cans of tomato concentrate can go further than regular tomato or tomato sauce. They're cheap too, lots of bang for the space and buck.

Cooking oils will be necessary for your rice, beans, pasta and pretty much anything else. Don't skimp out here.

Powdered drink mixes are a nice change of pace from (hopefully) plain water. Gatorade is one of many that make these. If you can get used to the taste powdered milk is a possibility. I have also found some powdered egg substitute (haven't tried any yet) at an Asian grocer that may be useful.

Pancake mix is another item I like to stock. It's a hearty meal as pancakes but it can also be used to batter up other foods that you could fry.

For traveling foods look into what backpackers use. Backpackers are masters of portable lightweight food. Everything they have is carried on their back so the food stuffs are often dehydrated or use powerful seasonings.

I hope this helped. I'll try to answer any other questions you have. Could you give me the scenario that your planning for so its easier to determine what your specifically looking for?

Reactions: Back Woods

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those are some good ideas. I do have stocked up a decent amount of food in the kitchen. I keep every drawer filled to the brim. I do have some dry milk for the litle one.

Not even sure what my rice my equates too as far as time. Looking to triple what I have. How long does some of this stuff store for? Like the rice and pasta. Pasta is in a paper box. I could imagine the plastic bad sealed ones are better.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
For food variety, you need to think food, dessert.

Rice is good as a main entree or a dessert. Learn to make rice pudding. Learn to make meatloaf with rice, fried rice, rice flour for bread. Cooked rice to put in bread (like oat bread)

Beans for dinner, mash beans and add mayo to make hummus, mash white beans and add a little to cake mix and it will make your cake moist. Don't add so much your cake tasts like beans. Use beans in casserols. And don't forget sprouts.

Oatmeal is good as cerial, desserts, bread, meatloaf, granola snack, try oats in pancakes.

Noodles good in main entree, cold noodle salad, place some in a fruit salad, casserols. My mom use to treat us to spagetti in a taco shell as a kid. It was really good

If you're planning to bug out. You may want to store you food with someone, you trust, near or at your bugout.

Good luck.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Peas and lentils, just like beans, but they are a good alternative.

Dried milk and cinnamon to go with the rice for the rice pudding. :D:

Dried fruits, veggies, peppers, etc. A few dried peppers and onions to your beans makes a whole new dish. Some dried fruit can be reconstituted for desert or to eat as is as a tasty snack.

Peanut butter and jelly. Never underestimate the value of comfort food.

Flour, pancake mix, biscuit mix.

Bullion or some other meat/veggie flavoring

Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My bug out area is my 2nd home. however, in most any situation relocating there is only possible If I leave my family. they are a little too into happy valley. If things got real bad, I am over in long island NY. Only bridges out are through NYC. Would need a bug out boat and car or just boat to get up the hudson river. By time they'd realize their cushy little job won't be there anymore, relocating will be extra difficult. Some of my storing items is a little freaky to them. Never worried about this stuff much when I was in a rural area. always had options here. Over here in suburbia, after 3 days without rations, you might as well be in the middle of the desert.

Besides all that, I HATE CITIES. came from rural NY.

A already got a ton of good ideas here. On the major items like rice, oatmeal, cornmeals, beans, etc. How long do these items last for.

Haven't had rice pudding in a long time. MMMM. might make some today.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts