Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems eotech knew about defects as far back as 2006 and failed to disclose this information. Now there is a class action lawsuit.

http://legalnewsline.com/stories/510652369-eotech-sued-over-alleged-defects-in-combat-optical-sights

Andrew Tyler Foster, individually and for all others similarly situated, filed a class action lawsuit Dec. 4 in the U.S. District Court of the Western District of Missouri, Southern Division against L-3 Communications EOTech and L-3 Communications Corp., alleging violations of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, fraud, unjust enrichment, violations of the Missouri Merchandising Practices Act, strict products liability and breach of warranty of fitness for a particular purpose.
Since at least 2006, Defendants knew about defects in their weapons sights that caused product failures, particularly in the extreme environmental conditions in which Special Forces operate. Instead of making a prompt disclosure of the defects, Defendants delayed disclosure for years, until they believed they had a fix or were compelled to make a disclosure because of employee or other complaints.
Kinda ****es me off a company would put soldiers lives at risk for profit.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Agreed, they get what they deserve and should have to reimburse soldiers or families where the product deficiency led to the soldier being injured.

·
NRA Instructor-Ohio CCW
3,169 Posts
Has the sight led to a soldier getting harmed? Any real proof.

The only people that win in a class action suit is the lawyers. Come to think of it, there should be a class action suit against all lawyers just based on their lack of character.

If you want to switch from Eotech to another sight, fill out a RMA request on EOtech's website. They will give you you full purchase price plus $15 shipping. They do not require a receipt.

2,236 Posts
Seems a shame to send back something I have not had a problem with.. that I actually like.... just because everybody else is doing it.
I wonder how long they will be taking returns? Maybe some testing is in order.

·
Third World'er Lunatic
16,245 Posts
Seems eotech knew about defects as far back as 2006 and failed to disclose this information. Now there is a class action lawsuit.

http://legalnewsline.com/stories/510652369-eotech-sued-over-alleged-defects-in-combat-optical-sights

Kinda ****es me off a company would put soldiers lives at risk for profit.
now its sights, Before that it was substandard body armor, before that it was substandard armor on Buffalo's (even the EOD varient) thats just three in the latest unpleasentness. go back wars, you can pull pages of companies that did the potomac 2 step for contracts at the cost of soldiers lives.....

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Our Military Never Did Their Own Eoteck Testing? ...

It does seem rather strange that our own US Military did NOT do their own field testing of the Eoteck when it was FIRST issued? All it would have taken is a warm oven and a very cold deep freeze. Seems strange. There must be more to this story. Just me.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Seems like a test would be some what easy. Heat gun/hair dryer, and computer dust can. I would limit the temp to 145 deg on the high side, and -40 deg on the low side. Need to have it co-witnessed at the start, and see what happens. I'll give it a try tomorrow and report the outcome.

·
Awesome
16,786 Posts
It does seem rather strange that our own US Military did NOT do their own field testing of the Eoteck when it was FIRST issued? All it would have taken is a warm oven and a very cold deep freeze. Seems strange. There must be more to this story. Just me.
and then you get those people who assume just because our military uses a product that its suddenly the best out there, because they wouldnt use anything but the best, right? and how do you know somethings the best of something?.. testing it of course which apparently our military didnt do

i wish people would realize bean counters and bureaucrats, as well as politicians handing contracts to cronies for kickbacks is generally what runs the decision with our military, not whats "best".. so all these people who do nothing but emulate what the US military does and own only the same equipment the US military uses are quite simply tools without enough knowledge to think for themselves or unwilling to try out and test different weapons or equipment for themselves

·
I sell US Military MRE's
6,477 Posts
and then you get those people who assume just because our military uses a product that its suddenly the best out there, because they wouldnt use anything but the best, right? and how do you know somethings the best of something?.. testing it of course which apparently our military didnt do

i wish people would realize bean counters and bureaucrats, as well as politicians handing contracts to cronies for kickbacks is generally what runs the decision with our military, not whats "best".. so all these people who do nothing but emulate what the US military does and own only the same equipment the US military uses are quite simply tools without enough knowledge to think for themselves or unwilling to try out and test different weapons or equipment for themselves
We know how lobbyist work but wow... so the politicians tell the military what to buy and the military doesn't test it....sure.... :xeye:

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
now its sights, Before that it was substandard body armor, before that it was substandard armor on Buffalo's (even the EOD varient) thats just three in the latest unpleasentness. go back wars, you can pull pages of companies that did the potomac 2 step for contracts at the cost of soldiers lives.....
The issue with procurement competitions is that often time companies will make the product in ways that is not sustainable for mass fielding.

Once they win the contract, they then begin to look for slick ways to cut cost and time in order to meet the contract requirement of units per month.

Happens all the time, and its something most don't understand. It's why so many new items have issues early on in fielding.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
I never had any problems with my units on any of my various sized AR15 rifles.

I don't plan on using my stuff in -40 degree or 140 degree temperatures.

Sounds like law suit abuse to me. EOTECH could win a suit for being drug through court fees and lawyer bills.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts

And that was how the M-16 was pushed through the system so quickly early in the Viet Nam War. :eek:

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I'm going to try and return my 552. I've already submitted an RMA, I'll keep the thread posted on the outcome.

I would be interested in hearing about how your return goes. I have never had a problem with any EOTech unit I have used. Since its issuing refunds I might return and use the money for an ACOG but that's still a lot of money to lay out to replace something that has not failed.

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
I would be interested in hearing about how your return goes. I have never had a problem with any EOTech unit I have used. Since its issuing refunds I might return and use the money for an ACOG but that's still a lot of money to lay out to replace something that has not failed.
I have a 512 on my shotgun that I'll be keeping. The 65MOA circle is roughly the spread of Federal Flight Control buckshot at 10 yards so it makes for a fantastic aiming device. I've never been happy with my 552 (XR308 reticle) and it has suffered a few times from the reticle blinking out while firing, so I figure this is a good chance to be rid of it.

·
•--• • •- -•-• •
3,027 Posts
I can tell you folks the hardest part in the refund process is getting the sights delivered to Eotech. They are 50 miles from me but I decided to ship them USPS. Big freaking mistake. God how I hate USPS. Shipped it Thursday 12-17 and my local USPS (the only excellent ones in all of the wretched USPS system) told me the truck was picking up twice a day. 11:00 am and 4:00 pm. Package went out at 4:00 pm of freaking course even though I had it there at 10:00 am. Was supposed to be delivered Friday the 18th. Nope - disappeared until late Saturday for some reason. Then was "out for delivery" today. Still not freaking delivered and it's 9:40 PM. Summing up - USPS sucks the big one - Eotech made it easy on their part - but USPS can't get them there. How's that for hearing about how the refund goes?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts