Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
15,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's time to upgrade home security. I'm looking for about 4-6 inside/outside IR capable cameras. I need the ability to monitor them away from home on my PC or phone. Budget is ~$500 or less. Wired or wireless, whichever is more secure. Thanks.

Edit: I'm in a rental house so have to be mindful of installation damage.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts

·
Bugged out already
4,581 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
I think @NW GUY runs Lorex system.

Reactions: SoJ_51

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
15,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think Costco has similar Lorex systems. I looked at the product in store but did not see the ability to monitor it from afar. I'll look more carefully at the details.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Honestly in a rent house? I'd go a different tactic. Ring Doorbells make great security cameras. You can use them without subscription if you want - you just can't pull up non-live feed. $10/mo gets you unlimited devices for recorded video etc. It leaves two tiny screw holes that's easy to patch afterwards if needed.

And with a cost of $40 each plus a $15 plug in adapter each {avoiding messing with wiring since rental} you could do a whole 6 cam system for ~ $350.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Honestly in a rent house? I'd go a different tactic. Ring Doorbells make great security cameras. You can use them without subscription if you want - you just can't pull up non-live feed. $10/mo gets you unlimited devices for recorded video etc. It leaves two tiny screw holes that's easy to patch afterwards if needed.

And with a cost of $40 each plus a $15 plug in adapter each {avoiding messing with wiring since rental} you could do a whole 6 cam system for ~ $350.
Ring cameras are know to be easily hacked.

Reactions: Drew Kelor

·
Registered
918 Posts
I have Ring Cameras. They are all outside, so anyone hacking them gets a pretty boring view. I figure most burglars are not going to hack my camera before they kick in the door to steal my ancient TV and Ninja blender. They let me see when packages arrive, who is going in and out, and check the live view when ever I want from my phone. I looked at doing a homebrew setup, but the wife has little patience if it is not a open box, press button, begin to use solution. The fact it took me a couple weeks to get time to install the doorbell drove her crazy. So I was not dealing with homebrew freeware issues when I barely have time to sleep now.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I use Arlo and I love them.
I have the model that records around 1080p. They are fully wireless.
They run on CR123 batteries and some models allow you to hook up a solar charger to the camera as well. I get no less than 6 months from mine with good batteries. I use tenergy and EBL from Amazon.
Mine works well with my netgear router and the Arlo app.
I also use a symplisafe alarm system. It came with cameras but I haven’t used them really. I like the Arlo cameras too much.
Arlo saves a week of your recordings in the cloud then they roll off and delete the prior 8th day. I put a large thumb drive in the back and it allows me to store months of video before it deletes to make room for the newer video.
I highly recommend as I am also in a rental but will soon take them with me when I move.

·
Registered
313 Posts
If you don't have a video system get one. I have a cheap four camera harbor freight system with motion detection and a simple recording device. Iove the feeling of having the four images covering all sides of our house in the middle of the night. i just have to check it out and either get ready to roll or turn over and go back to sleep. Even the cheap IR cameras work reasonably. I have it hooked up to a RV flat screen which will run off of 12 volt and the cameras run on low voltage as well.

·
Bugged out already
4,581 Posts
I think Costco has similar Lorex systems. I looked at the product in store but did not see the ability to monitor it from afar. I'll look more carefully at the details.
I agree that this is a critical aspect for me as well. The lorex system I posted says this:
  • REMOTE VIEWING - With the Lorex Home app, you can quickly and easily view your security system remotely through your smartphone or tablet

·
Registered
934 Posts
Have cheap knock-offs that work fine, so can't really advise you. But I can warn you: if WiFi is out, my cameras do not send me alerts. Be sure to get that question answered.

Ideal system would be to have an on-site box that you can interface with your PC, and is also connected to your WiFi/LAN to push notifications.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
I have started looking for the same thing for my in-laws farm as a Christmas present. In my state the rural areas have migratory meth cooks and a fair number of teen meth heads on ATVs. IR would be great. Frozen paint balls appeal too. Easier when you have eyes on. My wife, thier daughter, is an IT fanatic. I'm the opposite!

·
Registered
91 Posts
It's time to upgrade home security. I'm looking for about 4-6 inside/outside IR capable cameras. I need the ability to monitor them away from home on my PC or phone. Budget is ~$500 or less. Wired or wireless, whichever is more secure. Thanks.

Edit: I'm in a rental house so have to be mindful of installation damage.
I bought one with 8 camera, 2 terabyte disk drive for recording for a bit less than $200 dollars on eBay. The system has been operating 24/7 for almost a year with no failures or other problems. Good Luck.

·
Michigander
405 Posts
I use Arlo and I love them.
I have the model that records around 1080p. They are fully wireless.
They run on CR123 batteries and some models allow you to hook up a solar charger to the camera as well. I get no less than 6 months from mine with good batteries. I use tenergy and EBL from Amazon.
Mine works well with my netgear router and the Arlo app.
I also use a symplisafe alarm system. It came with cameras but I haven’t used them really. I like the Arlo cameras too much.
Arlo saves a week of your recordings in the cloud then they roll off and delete the prior 8th day. I put a large thumb drive in the back and it allows me to store months of video before it deletes to make room for the newer video.
I highly recommend as I am also in a rental but will soon take them with me when I move.
I've had Arlo for about 2 yrs now, LOVE them.
Mine, and current model, use rechargeable battery cubes. No added cost!
Driveway cam lasts about 6 months between charges.
Front door with kids, cats, dog, racoon... about a month, lol.
With a Magnetic base, you can temporarily stick them on a metal fence, shed, car, etc or mount with the included base.
View is slightly "fish eyed" so it sees about 120 degrees.
Base saves recording about a week, no cost.
Night vision works well.
Transmits to phone or PC. Does NOT work if power is out, needs internet.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts