Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Dog bites - Owner shoots
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok im a nOOb so please forgive....

I was given some peppers from my mother. I seperated seeds from peppers. Have drying on wax paper. What do I do now? I want to begin a garden.. Iowa location. ... from here im an idiot....is seperarating seeds and drying out ok? and to plant in spring? what is last time i can plant for seeds? like if i wanna ration out over 3 years?
any suggestions and other plants i may use is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
it all depends on where your mom got the seeds for her garden.if they are GMO seeds odds are they will not grow. they have genetically changed the veggies to where they dont produce seed that will germinate. why would they do that you ask? because now everyone has to buy new seed every year more money for the seed company.you need organic or heirloom seeds.

if those seeds are ok then this spring i would sprout them and grow a few plants and make about a pound of seed.

http://www.heirloomacresseeds.com/

·
Registered
41 Posts
it all depends on where your mom got the seeds for her garden.if they are GMO seeds odds are they will not grow. they have genetically changed the veggies to where they dont produce seed that will germinate. why would they do that you ask? because now everyone has to buy new seed every year more money for the seed company.you need organic or heirloom seeds.

if those seeds are ok then this spring i would sprout them and grow a few plants and make about a pound of seed.

http://www.heirloomacresseeds.com/
if you buy the heirloom seeds...how long will they store..& what is the best way to store them?..thanks..

·
Healer
918 Posts
Some people store seeds in the fridge, some in the freezer. As
long as your seeds are properly dry and protected from
moisture leaking in - if your freezer thaws, they can do the
freeze and thaw cycle many times, so power is not an issue -
space in the fridge or freezer is, though. :)

I live in SoCal which is a dry area. I've got seeds that
sat on the shelf in the basement and utility room for 5+ yrs
and still germinate. Not at 90-100% to be sure, but more than
enough to give me plants for my garden. I think people who
buy the same new seeds every year if they are on a tight
budget are being conned by the seed companies - because they could
be using Frankenfood seeds (GMO seeds), as Cryptkeeper pointed
out those types of seed will not germinate.

Do not confuse hybrid seeds with GMO, I did this when I started out
and hybrid do not necessarlily mean GMO. Heirloom is what you want
to stick with mostly - imo. In the long run you will save money this
way - not having to purchase seed continually - unless you donate to
seed banks.

Seeds should be stored cool and dry, not hot and damp. I am
thinking damp is more of an issue than heat below 85F,
although below 70F would be better.

I put fully dried seed in a paper envelope (if it
comes in one, that seed packet will work) and then put that
envelope in a snack sized ziplock bag and put it in the
freezer. For things with lots of the same type of seeds,
I'll drop all the snack bags inside a big storage ziplock in
groups. All tomatoes, all peppers, etc.

Here is a site I use www.rareseeds.com
and they offer only non-GMO seed.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
Thank you all. I just ordered quite afew seeds. Thanks to this group I knew to stay with heirloom or organic. Burpee's has a good selection though I think they were on the high priced side. Anywho, I ordered the seed and then I went - great how do I store them. Well, y'all answered my question. I didn't know if I needed to vac seal them or not. I think I'll go with the freezer storage. What you are saying is so true. I've had a garden for years and every year I sat down and ordered seed. Now, I can store my own and know every year that I have seeds without writing a check to pay for them. I can't thank you enough. Now, another question.

Can I use an occasional hybrid (like a pepper that only comes in hybrid) in the garden or would it be best to keep the seeds/plants pure by using only heirloom or organic? I don't want to cross my plants and even though Burpee's had a pepper I'd like to try (hybrid), it isn't worth messing up my other seeds to try it.
Sherrie

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
i think hybrid is just cross pollination of 2 differnt pepper plant breeds so it should be ok, but you will contaminate your pure strain of peppers and all the seeds will have a bit of the genetic code in it if it gets cross polly. what you could do is one year grow hybrid next year grow pure. but there is nothing wrong with hybrid its just a cross of 2 (or more) breeds of plant.which can strenghten the plants over all or it could weaken them depends on what traits are picked up from each strain of hybrids.

this is why they have put in several underground seed banks around the world so if these GMO seed get out of control they will have a pure strain of seed to fall back on. they say its a doomsday seed bank but they know what is/could happen.

·
Dog bites - Owner shoots
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
everything she gives me is fresh from the garden, I just wish I inheireted her green thumb.

·
Will let you beg for food
793 Posts
just remeber with tomato seeds it is a bit different...throw the pulp and seeds in a jar with a touch of water and plaed covered on the counter...if will go fuzzy and slimey but this is what you want...rinse well and let dry, this brings out the natural antibiotics that prevent most tomato diseases. And seed to seed is a wicked book, I checked it out of the library and scanned it.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Here in Tucson Arizona we have an organization call Native Seeds/SEARCH. They have been "rescueing" the native crops planted by the Hohokham and Tohono Indian tribes. These seeds do well in the hot, dry climate here. They have beans, corn, peppers, even melons. And yes, you can order from them online (nativeseeds.org). I highly recommend them for anyone in a similar climate.

·
Dog bites - Owner shoots
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
just remeber with tomato seeds it is a bit different...throw the pulp and seeds in a jar with a touch of water and plaed covered on the counter...if will go fuzzy and slimey but this is what you want...rinse well and let dry, this brings out the natural antibiotics that prevent most tomato diseases. And seed to seed is a wicked book, I checked it out of the library and scanned it.
LOL great timing as I am just sitting down from spreading the Tomate seeds I had on a paper plate!!!! Thanks! I will definatly check that book out:thumb:

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
can you post it here?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts