Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went by a local feed store Friday January 4th, and they had bags of fresh seed in stock.

Owner told me the bulk of her seed orders will start arriving on January 7th.

Lot's of seeds already in stock. The time is upon us to take inventory and stock up on whatever you may be needing.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Orscheln Farm and Home had Burpee seeds set out yesterday. Some were priced at $3.99 and some at $4.99 - just too high for me. I will wait until Menards put theirs on sale at 0.30 cents per pack. Gardening can be cheap if you look around. Today I got a pickup load of compost from the waste site - for free.

·
Registered
5,902 Posts
Had to go to Walmart this morning and I went back into the seasonal area to get more squirrel feed (which I mainly use to feed the local murder of crows each winter).

They didn't have any seed displays out yet, but the Christmas stuff had all been cleared off the shelves and replaced with gardening supplies.

·
gardener & news junkie
3,861 Posts
I was at Walmart yesterday for bird seed and they had both the Ferry Morse and a Burpee display up. They weren't there last week.

Out of curiosity I looked at a pack of Ferry Morse "Dixie Hybrid" yellow squash. It felt like there were only five seeds in the pack! For $1.44. I felt the pack again, trying to determine seed count and still came up with five. My sister (retired pharmacist) noted that the pack said 770 mg weight and said "That's not a lot!". They can keep the seeds. For 50 cents I can get several years worth of Early Prolific at the feed 'n weed. :D

·
Registered
5,902 Posts
I stopped by Home Depot this morning, I hadn't been there for a while. Lowes is generally more convenient.

Home Depot had a big display of Burpee seeds and accessories. No other seed companies yet, but I'm sure that's coming soon.

They also had a big display of flowering bulbs, seed potatoes, onion sets, etc. Even some herb plants. All indoors though, spring is still too far away to risk putting that stuff outside right now.

·
Registered
5,902 Posts
Had to go by Lowes this morning, now they also have onion sets, seed potatoes, bulbs, rootstock for various berries, etc.

Like Home Depot though, everything is displayed inside and not out in the garden and landscaping area. There's still too much of the winter season left to get through first.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've purchased a few seeds at Walmart, and picked up a few onion sets to compare growth to the starts from Dixendale.
I have 4 or 500 onions in the ground. We seem to have a micro climate slightly warmer than surrounding areas. (East of OKC) My garden is on a slope between a large pond and a building which might account for it. So far the onions are looking good, starting to show a little growth.
My sun room is full of tomato & pepper starts, & I'm trying to test if my kikinda guard seeds are viable. After a month on the kitchen counter I've decided they need more heat to sprout.
Seems spring fever is in full swing here. 🙂

·
<--My Faverolle Chicken
878 Posts
Was at Lowes yesterday and Walmart today and they both had their seed displays out. It is a bit pricey to buy the small seed packs and only get a few mg of seeds. I can see if it was carrots but for pumpkin, corn and beans that is a rip off. I did find the 20/50 cent packets at Walmart that offer almost the same as the Burpie and ferry morris. Those are good to pick up for squash, zuchinni, and cucumbers because all I need is 3 - 4 plants to keep me supplied all season.

·
Bread Baker
3,255 Posts
I seen that over the last few years the amount of seeds in the packets has shrunk by quite a bit also ,,I have been buy fewer packets and ordering more buying them in a more bulk type package,,,so it tends to build my seed bank and still give me seed to plant
Exactly. Not to mention that generally speaking, Burpee and Ferry Morse have a rather, for lack of a better term, generic selection.

9 times out of 10 I cant find what I need locally, not for what I want to grow out anyways. Last Monday I spent about $130 on seeds. Sadly, all of those were ordered. I would rather spend that money locally, but sometimes there is no choice. That includes shopping the Feed and Seed store, which in their defense, they sell Wyatt Quarells. So at least they have something different. But still not what I really want.

On Thursday though, me and a friend/fellow farmer drove out to a Feed Store that I had never even heard of. He hadnt been there for about 5 years. I did pick up a couple packs. They sell "High Mowing", "Southern Exposure", and a couple more obscure ones.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Walmart in DC Area: Ferry Morse Seeds & Bulbs

PG County Walmart [*] had large display of Ferry Morse Seeds, still bundled. (Employee chatter said they’d be moving the display soon so leaving it bundled would make it easier to relocate.) Few $0.20 and $0.50 seed packets also available. Too, FM had a bunch of encapsulated seed packets: beets, marigolds, carrots, chives, lavender, etc. Some annual and perennial bulbs too. :D:

[*] Location was called Capital Plaza when the anchor store was Montgomery Wards before the chain went bankrupt. ;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I was in a Dollar Tree the other day, and saw a seed display. Its American Seed brand, for a price of 4 for a dollar. The seed packs felt a little light, but for a quarter a pack, they sold me. FYI

·
I have control issues
6,761 Posts
Seed displays are pretty much in all the stores. I've already bought the seeds I wanted this year via mail order (Baker Creek, Strictly Medicinal, and Territorial) OR have seeds in my seed storage buckets, and/or from what I harvested from the things I grew.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Seed displays are pretty much in all the stores. I've already bought the seeds I wanted this year via mail order (Baker Creek, Strictly Medicinal, and Territorial) OR have seeds in my seed storage buckets, and/or from what I harvested from the things I grew.
Yes I have too. Got my last order in last week. But for the price, I threw some in the SHTF reserves, lol!

·
Registered
5,902 Posts
I was in a Dollar Tree the other day, and saw a seed display. Its American Seed brand, for a price of 4 for a dollar. The seed packs felt a little light, but for a quarter a pack, they sold me. FYI
Wow, I didn't know that company was still around! I used to sell their seeds door-to-door as a little kid back in the early 70s. They ran ads in comic books, getting kids to sell their seeds for prizes. I never had any trouble selling the seeds, but I've long forgotten whatever prize I might have selected.

I found this vintage ad online to illustrate:

·
gardener & news junkie
3,861 Posts
I posted this on Farmer Chad's thread the other day but am re-posting it on this one since this thread is probably more appropriate.

I found and ordered some seed this year from a new-to-me place. It's the Sample Seed Shop. http://www.sampleseeds.com/
I will say it's probably one of the strangest seed company site layouts I've ever seen but just click on the category you want.

They have a gazillion tomatoes and peppers. Tomatoes are minimum 15 seeds for $2.00 and most peppers are 30 seeds for $1.50. They have other veg seed too at low prices. Seeds come in small plain envelopes. As the site says, "Seed packets do not have growing instructions. Pre-printed packets cost a lot more, and we want to keep costs low. Please use the resources in the Seed STARTING Links column on the right of the web site for growing info."

I held off posting this until the seeds came and I could see what I was getting. Counts are good! I can look up the DTM and other plant info on the internet if need be. Less money spent just to try something new!

New-to-me tomatoes I bought include Stump of the World, Boxcar Willie and trying Rio Grande paste. Also Small Sugar Pumpkin (1st time trying this one, a new-to-me Yaya carrot (just to try) and a few other things.

About the owner: http://www.sampleseeds.com/?page_id=2

1 - 20 of 23 Posts