Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During our lunch break, my wife (Kristy) and I made a quick run to the local feed fertilizer store, its a little place called "Pickles". Kristy and I car pool to work, so she swings by and picks me up for lunch everyday. Jasper, Texas (where I live) is a small community, you can drive from one side to the other side in 5 - 10 minutes.

We got to the feed store just as they were getting some of their fresh seed in. There were several unopened boxes of fresh seeds on a pallet. The lady said its going to take a few hours to go through everything.

Total Purchase for today:

2 types of snap beans - .50 cents worth of each type
Pickling cucumbers - .50 cents worth
Seed Potatoes - $2 worth
Zucchini - .50 cents worth

They have some Yellow Dent Field corn in stock - which is open pollinated. Kristy and I needed to go eat lunch, so we passed up on the corn for right now.

A couple of the bins were full of fresh purple hull pink eye seeds.

I'am probably going to go back to the store Saturday, the 6th to stock up on corn while they have it. If you wait too long, the corn will sale out and I will not be able to get any.

The seeds I'am buying right now, are to replace the ones that are being pulled out of stock. Plus, you want to buy early to beat the rush. Sometimes the feed store will sale out of certain types by march.

My wife and I, and 3 of her grown kids are planning a community garden. We are going to take about 1/4 acre and plant it with potatoes, corn, zucchini, squash, snap beans and maybe some water melons.

·
RH-O Negative
5,647 Posts
I have bought a lot seeds this year. All but two are heirloom seeds that will open pollinate.

I froze a lot of seeds in October and hopefully they will last a good while.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
cool beans (no pun intended)!! lol :)

i've been buying & trading seeds the past month myself! i've gotten a lot of goodies to try! :) i hope things go well for the community garden you guys are planting. :thumb:

have you ever considered trying to grow mushrooms? it's supposed to be pretty easy & you can make a pretty penny off of them if you sell them... they're even selling morel spores now! i haven't researched those much, but what a cool idea! :)

·
RH-O Negative
5,647 Posts
cool beans (no pun intended)!! lol :)

i've been buying & trading seeds the past month myself! i've gotten a lot of goodies to try! :) i hope things go well for the community garden you guys are planting. :thumb:

have you ever considered trying to grow mushrooms? it's supposed to be pretty easy & you can make a pretty penny off of them if you sell them... they're even selling morel spores now! i haven't researched those much, but what a cool idea! :)
Thank you. I have never tried growing mushrooms. I seen a mushroom growing kit when I lived in Georgia, but I didn't buy it.

I am the only one in my family that likes to eat mushrooms.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Heirloom seeds are gonna be what saves our A%# in the long run.Easy to store and reproduce so what more can you ask for ? 2 things that have worked well for us is,1st if theres any Amish folks close get produce and save some of the seeds.Most of their seeds are heirloom ,but ask as they also have some that are not. 2 We ran up on a company that has an awsome selection of heirlooms,they are Baker Creek seed co.If you want some unusual heirlooms check them out.We are going to a mushroom growing class on the 12th so I will post after and let you know what I think.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Where I normally buy my seeds every year pickins is poor right now. I was able to get potatoes, beans and okra. The people who run the feed and seed company told me that they had placed their order but was told that they would not get everything they ordered. I only use heirloom seeds and may have to look in different locations to get everything for my garden this year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts