Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been concerned for year about the idea of producing seed as well as edible vegetables and I have done some very small scale seed production over the years. This year I decided to go all out on radishes, peas, sunflowers, chives, beets and turnips.

So far the only thing that is close enough to harvest to be sure of results is the radish seed crops.

These radishes were planted so close together that it inhibited any root growth, all the growth went to the top growth and went to seed good and early, with the close proximity they had a very good pollination rate.

The radishes in this garden were planted by raking back the top soil after tilling and hand broadcasting the seed, I then loosly raked the soil over the seed and lightly pressed it down by hand several square feet at a time. This allowed some of the seed to grow in close clumps, when they were fully developed I went and removed the big radishes to eat and left the smaller ones in the clumps. As I harvested the outside plants would produce bigger roots over the next few days and after about ten days I was left little central cores with nearly no root growth but a great deal of top growth. These central cores are what you se here flowering, they are now around 4 feet tall and have since developed big radish roots some 2 inches in diameter.

I am curious if I was to dig up the roots intact after the plant dies down and store them over winter in a root cellar if they would resprout next year and go to seed again.

This is my Daikon patch on the west side of the old goat barn, these things did great are producing seed like crazy, we ate about 100 of them so far, none of them ever grew very big, the biggest are around 8 inches long, but with the amount that I can grow they do not really have to be to big.

This is a different test I am doing to see if I can get potatoes to grow in straight rotting hay and manure with no soil. None of my potatoes in this or in the normal soil growth have done well this year, not exactly sure why, I thought I had potatoes down pat until now. So far the reds are doing well enough, I have a number of them going to flower already. Maybe I will be able to get some seed pods from them this year, that would be really cool, I tried to do potatoe seed 3 years ago, but my baby goats and daughter ate all the flowers. I was not real happy about that they were doing awsome..... until them....

From the looks of it I should have several hundred times the amount of seed that I planted, so this test looks so far like a success with the radishes at any rate.

·
Stargazer Extraordinaire
1,061 Posts
Are those pods on the radishes the seeds or do they come from the flowers? Are you saying you can get actual "seeds" from potato plants? Not just re-planting a tuber?

I had very poor potato production last year as well. I was in the seed store asking if anybody else had poor production and finally weaseled out of him that they had sold a bunch of mismarked potato seed. What I thought was Red Pontiac was something called Red DeSoto.

They made huge beautiful plants with pretty flowers but a very small crop of potatoes. I usually get 4 buckets from 3 rows but only got 1 1/2 buckets from these. And the potatoes tasted horrible, ended up throwing them in the compost pile. No refund or replacement was offered, amazing !

This year's crop was back to normal with the right seed. Fresh new potatoes with fresh picked English peas, doesn't get any better !!!!

Rick

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On the radishes, the flower opens and there is about a 6 hour or so window for them to be pollinated, a radish plant needs to be pollinated with male pollin from a male plant. Afte the flower is pollinated the flower falls off and the little stem it was attached to grows into the pods with 5 to 20 seeds in each pod.

The five to twenty seeds is what I read, it seems to me there may be a lot more seeds than that in most of those pods.

As for potatoes, most of the varietys they sell, have been hybridised and will not produce seed they are sterile plants kinda like a mule.

The potatoe plants that will produce seed will flower, be pollinated and then will grow a small fruit very similar to a tomatoe it may even turn red like a tomatoe. These fruits will be full of potatoe seed and like tomatoe will have a lot of seeds per each fruit.

Most potatoes are grown from the tuber to keep the product always the same, when you use seed the potatoe genetics will change a little with each seed producing variations in potatoe and plant.

I would like to get potatoe seed going myself, and I have never seen potatoe seed for sale before. I should go looking on the internett and see if I can find some for sale.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My potato plants flowered like crazy. I was wondering what the green tomato looking thingy was on one of my potato plants. What do I do to get seeds? Pick it now? Wait for it to ripen or something? Do I just crack it open to get the seeds?

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well poato and tomato are just different versions of the same plant, the green fruit you have is basically just like a tomatoe except poisonous.

I imagine just like a tomatoe you can pick it just about anytime once it is fully grown and open it up spread the seeds and allow them to dry.

I bet if picked green it would probably turn red in a few days just like a tomato.

I am rather jealous I have not manged to get a single fruit ever, yet.......

I would make sure to let it grow until it seems to stop growing or turns red would be my guess, you should get the most seeds that way.

From what I know when you start a potato plant from seed, the first year it will basically grow a single potatoe and it may not be real large, but you can then plant that potatoe the next year and get your crop. This is just what I have read, beings I have never been able to produce a seed yet... I have no actual experience in this... yet...

Thanks for the post and I would love to know how it goes....

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I'll have to remember to take a picture of it tonight and post it later. I've certainly never seen one before. At first I thought it was a problem.

In early spring I bought a bag of organic seed potatoes (Yukon Gold) from a gardening center and this is the result. I'll definitely wait for it to ripen before picking it. I'll be happy to do whatever experiments with it people would like to see.

·
Just the facts, Ma'am.
2,070 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I'll have to remember to take a picture of it tonight and post it later. I've certainly never seen one before. At first I thought it was a problem.

In early spring I bought a bag of organic seed potatoes (Yukon Gold) from a gardening center and this is the result. I'll definitely wait for it to ripen before picking it. I'll be happy to do whatever experiments with it people would like to see.
You've got another jealous gardener here. I'm growing Kenebecs and have tons of flowers, but when the flower dies back, it falls off. I thought something was eating them until I noticed that there is a joint in the stem about 1/4-1/2" down from the flower. That is where it falls from.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very very cool, that is actually the first time I have ever seen one of those, I have read about it and read descriptions but that is the first pic I have ever seen.

They really do look just like a tomato. Maybe I will get lucky this year.

What kind of potatoes are those exactly, I would like to try and get some for next year. I have tried all kinds of different potatoes but I have yet to ever produce a fruit from the flowers.

·
Registered
104 Posts
These are Yukon Golds. This is my first season trying this particular variety. I bought a 5lb bag of organic seed potatoes from the local gardening center in early spring. They flowered like crazy maybe 3 weeks ago give or take. The wind turned my three neat rows into a jumbled mess. I can easily see 4 of these things on the outer edges. I'm not sure what I'll find when I get into the middle of the tangled mess.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wind..... I wonder if the wind helped them pollinate, I may need to go do some hand pollinating...

Don't know why I hadn't thought of that before...

I grew some great Klondike golds three years ago, they were awsome those are the ones that the goats ate. I still can't beleieve the harvest I got from them, somewhere on this computer I have pictures of me holding one of the plants up and a string of around 17 or 20 potatoes dangling from the roots.

We filled two gunny sacks with potatoes from about 145 square feet of plants.

After I was done harvesting I allowed the kids to dig up and eat any potatoes that may have been missed, they dug and dug for two weeks and found and ate a whole bunch more potatoes. By the time they were done the thing looked like I had tilled it.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you get a bit of seed from those things could I possibly talk you into selling 40 or 50 seeds?

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ohhhhh this is cool....... I went out this afternoon to hand pollinate my potato flowers and found two tiny little fruits....

I went ahead and lightly squeezed all the flowers so that the stamens touched the pistil.

After all these years of trying I finally have done it.... In fact the plant in the lower picture is the one I found them on. Man this has been an awsome gardening year....

My radish plants are getting so heavy with seed pods they cannot stand upright anymore... most plants have over 100 2 to 2 1/2 inch pods on them now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts