Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone knows of some good wireless security cameras that hook up to the internet. Ive narrowed my search down to Dlink, foscam and logitech. Im open to any suggestions here before I buy. Im about ready to buy just doing last minute searches. I did a search on this topic , but it gave an old post from 2008. Up for any suggestions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Whatever you do decide to get make sure and change your password on them and lock them down.. You can do a certain search on google and can access people's cameras that aren't locked down. Kinda some creepy stuff. I've always been a fan of Cisco but their stuff is EXPENSIVE. I would go with Logitech myself for normal use.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've got two friends that use the Foscam or the difficult to tell the difference knock-off Foscams (6 total). While we finally did get all of them up and running it wasn't easy and we often have issues with them loosing their IP address and choosing a new random IP (setting static IPs is obviously the best method). Even though all of the firmware appears to be identical one still doesn't want to send email properly when it detects movement.
Make sure you get real Foscam units if you want decent support, the knock-offs look identical but are significantly cheaper and foscam won't support them unless they sold them.

I've had good luck with the Logitech models.
The pan-tilt-zoom is a great feature but you pay a lot for the option so if it's possible to plan your layout with fixed units and just one or two PTZ's you can save a bundle.

·
Registered
144 Posts
if you don't mind doing breakdown maintenance due to low quality then you could get cheep ones from china. my favorite source is dealextreme

·
Is back.
548 Posts
I don't know about wireless camera's but There is a fair amount of software that you load on to your PC and and it stream it on to a website Secured from passwords to more high tech stuff I really don't understand. Had a relative that used it. He had a camera in the garage ceiling, and laptop open when he was backing his big-rig in.

·
Christian
39,500 Posts
Dlink is good if you dont have access to professional CCTV equipment.

Can I ask what you will be covering / protecting?

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Another simple thing you can do that has never failed me due to tech issues is put up trail cams around your property. They have been trouble free for me on our farm, and the pics are quality whether day or night. Good water proof model with night capabilities work great.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
An alchemist set saint, lol. jk, It looks like its not going to be worth going on line, because I would have to pay monthly service on 2 air cards, because I have to carry my laptop to work. But I really appreciate everyones input. I know they have cameras with sd cards but whoever comes up with one that acts like an air card and only activates to send pic to email with motion detect, and doesnt have high service payment would probably get alot of business.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I though about that too spartan, but at night do they flash, if so , what would keep the intruder from stealing the camera

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I though about that too spartan, but at night do they flash, if so , what would keep the intruder from stealing the camera
Mine do not flash whatsoever. You can get cammo colored cams, strategically placed they will never be seen! With a good memory card they will take thousands of pics before reaching capacity.

·
Registered
227 Posts
not knowing where you live or reside, arround here I would make a trip to Dallas and visit the Spy shop and see what they have , In my past as Security of a private development I managed to get some small camere not much larger than a pencil that could take pix tranfer to a small Tv screen Plus would pic up heat sourse.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts