Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Say my BOL is like 8- 10 acres of woods shaped more or less like a rectangle. This wooded land is surrounded by fields/farmland on all sides.
owned by close family.

during WROL/SHTF/teotwawki
I figure we would position security posts at the corners (and/or along the sides). we would try to have the security be covert, camoed and unnoticed as possible.

I really don't like the idea of building fencing, trip wires, thornies along the perimeter, because we would want wildlife to wander in. especially deer, wabbits. And not run away because of obstructions and alarms going off.

If we did put up some, we could have them segmented in a way to allow "bottlenecking" any deer or even sneaky intruders. These openings would be observed by security also.

Some notes:
There are plenty of big trees to make deer stands/birdnests in too.
family members can and do hunt on this property.
Has numerous ATV paths within the woods and along the inside of perimeter.- nice for patrolling on.

Any stories, concerns, suggestions welcome.

·
10,548 Posts
This reminds me of the time I set up trip wires around a friends garden for him to scare the Deer away.
It was a simple set up, but not half an hour after finishing it, his dog set it off.
We had it set up to fire off some fireworks, which it did. We quickly realized that though it was fun to rig up and looked like a good idea, there was no way to predict the habits of the Dog or keep him from traipsing into it, so the idea was abandoned.
My other friend has the "Motion Detect" setting on his cameras, and said he is always seeing rogue Dogs when he reviews his camera footage. He finds this odd because he never actually sees these Dogs. They only run through his yard when he is not home.

·
LEGAL citizen
15,269 Posts
In reality, they'll smell or hear you before they see you. Smoke from fires, dogs barking, kids crying, the smell of food, etc...

If the surrounding area is family, I would stay in place and use the 10 acres as a fallback zone that does have defenses. Your defenses should be in layers. Nothing on the outside to prevent any visual. then maybe barbed wire surrounding the inner 2 acres. That inner 2 acres would be my red zone that is totally secure. Deer aren't going to come in there anyway if it's inhabited by humans or dogs.

·
10,548 Posts
I also have seven Cats. I like them in at night, so it gives me a reason every night to go out and patrol and be familiar with my property.
Without fail, there is at least one or three nights a week when I have to go out with the rifle, which has a battery powered RD and a Light to find any stragglers.
It is great to have Cats that make you have a reason to creep around in your own woods at night!
I've gotten to know my property pretty good looking for Cats.;)
Sometimes, you think one is hurt because you hear it meowing oddly off in a thicket.
You walk through said thicket, without bug repellent, since you think one of your precious Cats may be in distress, only to find it making vocalizations at a dead bird or mouse.;)
My Cats keep me very involved with my property.
I saw a Red Fox the other day chasing one of my Cats. She was running to me, and the fox saw me and did a 180 faster than I could react, but it is obvious always that the Cats have some pretty intense experiences.:eek:
Having Pets or Live Stock makes you have a reason to go on Patrol.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
So I question if deer are an issue post SHTF. I suspect not. I almost hope not, as I have a 100x200 garden with a 6' fence and barbed wire above that- it's deer proof in practice. Expanding the garden without lots of posts and wire would be difficult. Either way, I'll eat.

You could fence in the property on 3 sides and deer will still come in- but a fence not under fire is just a few seconds delay. Army did some neat tests in Anniston on this, and fences are seconds of delay for a really determined, equiped, and fit intruder until you make the fence high enough for them to break a bone.

Thorns and bamboo are probally more effective in that the intruder will leave evidence of penetration or make noise as they go through. There are more effective barriers, but blackberrys are edible.

So I'm not quite of the machine gun turret school of survival (you do realize the numbers required to put guards on 4 corners 24/7 right), but it bugs me that we have a 6 acre lake with a 200' dam and the backside of the dam is about 125 yds from the cabin, and would provide perfect cover, and could be approached without detection. the real problem is it then presents an unobstructed view of the cabin, shop, garden, and it a split second, you can be out of view, and protected from return fire (if the person was inclined to be a sniper). Finally, I've noticed dogs and geese ignore activity on the dam as if it is separate from the homestead. (don't currently have either, but did at one point. Planting the reverse slope in bamboo has all but removed that concern, and provided a food and cane pole/bean pole/tomato stake source (I bought some edible cultivars to go with native transplanted bamboo.)

Final point- any conventional elevated fixed deer stand sticks out like a sore thumb to me, and once seen, will allways be checked by intruders- I'm not sure I'd want to hunt from one (post SHTF)- much less guard from them- unless under observation from the house or from friendly neighbors.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thx for all the replies.

just the wooded land is owned by family. 2nd generation is currently living there.
They "somewhat" know their closest neighbors. Of course, they would know we have firearms. -Which could be bad, or good. Don't know yet. .... yet, as of right now I wouldn't suspect foul play. And no punk azzes nearby!

Deer do frequent the area, even with some noise. the family has run up on them with the ATVs sometimes. never hit one though!

They do know the owner of the next closest large hunk of woods too. which is like 4 minutes walk. with pond.
The bad thing is, there is a county rd. between us and them....

So yeah, perhaps the idea of going beyond the woods with layered security will be in the plans.
I would suspect It would be ideal to study the topography of the surrounding land (ridgelines, lowland) and set up perimeter this way instead of like a squarish perimeter.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
well if you're surrounded by land that's not in your control I'd keep my defenses simple so as not to ****off the neighbors, maybe just "deer stands" that double as observation towers.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would assume my family that lives there would talk and/or recruit the neighbors as the beginning of whatever disaster scenario starts to play out. Or soon after, depending on scenario and severity.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Keep in mind that deer, turkey, etc will be hunted til there is none left. I wouldn't use deer as a staple source of meat because of that. For example Missouri's population is 6 million. The deer population is 1.6 million. If just 500k people hunt or live to hunt that population could wipe out the herd really quick.

·
To the surface!
8,012 Posts
"Wabbits" prefer the "thorny" brambles. It gives them a place to hide from predators. I noticed a distinct decrease in the number of visits from rabbits to my house when I eliminated a large bramble patch near the house.

As for deer, they tend to use the same paths (path of least resistances like most animals) and they will easily jump over most regular height fences of 3 to 5 foot height. So fences and bottlenecks are not a bad idea, but I don't think fences will stop most humans - they don't now. Brambles and some other obstacles will channel them where you want them so you can detect and stop them.

·
Don't be dumb
7,232 Posts
I suggest you look up "hinge cutting" for trees and how it can be applied for deer habitat. It will also allow you to funnel animals/intruders to come out where you want them to as well as screening your own movements and giving you TONS of places to set up observation posts that would be near impossible to detect.

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
Here are my two cents:
One should not try to have it both ways: either one has airtight security or he doesn't. Even with the very best security arrangements the chances of surviving TEOTWAWKI are small. Any compromise on security brings them down to zero.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts