Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I used the search function and couldn't find any relevant posts. What i am after is the following. I would like to purchase some land for a cabin and recreation in south eastern or southern Ohio. How do you secure the property and more importantly any building. With our schedules I could see not being there for weeks on end but would like to know when I get there for a weekend I would have to spend hours cleaning up from vandals and what not. Let me your experiences.

Thanks

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,107 Posts
Ok so I used the search function and couldn't find any relevant posts. What i am after is the following. I would like to purchase some land for a cabin and recreation in south eastern or southern Ohio. How do you secure the property and more importantly any building. With our schedules I could see not being there for weeks on end but would like to know when I get there for a weekend I would have to spend hours cleaning up from vandals and what not. Let me your experiences.

Thanks
I bought my current ranch eight yrs before I retired and moved there full time.
I found out that every one in the area that could hold a gun had been hunting my land without my permission, and some of them cut fences, stole tools and equipment, and trashed the place.

I Burried some items and they left these alone.

But I know of no way to secure anything visible to unwanted visitors.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you aren't there it will be challenging. You could set up video surveillance with audio that you could monitor remotely. Probably pretty pricey.

I guess if I were in your shoes I would do a couple of things:
1) I wouldn't leave anything in the cabin that I really cared a lot about or was really valuable.
2) Like you did, I would have some kind of well hidden stash a significant distance from the cabin.
3) Post the usual signs to keep honest people moving on down the road.
4) Set up some early warning trip wire type stuff. You'd have to think about this, but something harmless like the mouse trap with a glow stick trick might give the bolder neighbor and those with nefarious intent the idea that you are around and don't want them to be.
5) If there is electrical, maybe put some inside lights on timers to make it look like someone is home when you aren't there.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Thanks
Like you, I was/am an infrequent visitor to my BOL.

I had a great BOL with a fully stocked travel trailer and a 10x12 shed, propane, solar panel, water storage--the works. Within 1 year everything was stolen (including the entire shed) and the trailer was gutted.

Then I bought a 20' sea container and installed a lockbox and puck lock. Everything inside has been secure since. I added more until I now have 10 on the property. Am slowly connecting and converting several into living quarters--the rest are for storage of supplies and materials. While expensive (about $2400 per container), I found this to be secure, dspite signs of having been 'visited' by persons unknown.

·
accipere rubrum pilula
1,680 Posts
I've owned a few remote properties and I've learned this, if they want in, they're getting in.

If no one is there most of the times, the locals who are less than honest will notice. Usually they'll take a peek in the windows to see what you have to steal.

If the windows are covered up, guess what? They must be hiding something worth breaking in for, so don't cover the windows with solid covers, but do use see thru security screening if you feel the need.

My current vacation property hasn't been bothered for the years I've had it, but places around me have.

I have a nice flat screen that I place behind the sofa bed when I leave. When you look through the windows you don't see anything worth breaking in for.

My gun and ammo storage is in the kitchen cleaning closet. I built a false wall in the narrow closet. Unless you used a tape measure, you wouldn't know the closet is 14 inches shallower than it should be.

I can hold a couple long arms, a couple pistols and some ammo in it. It's not exactly an arsenat, but I can leave that stuff there and know it's safe.

I have three small boats hidden under the enclosed porch and they've been there going on five years with no problems.

The 10x10 out building has a hidden floor storage that the previous owner had installed. I can put both chain saws and both tool boxes in the floor out of sight.

You can't stop people from breaking into your cabin, but you can make it less desirable for them to do so.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm away from my farm for months at a time and there's never been a problem. It really depends on who your neighbors are.

You can always set up so game cams.

·
Registered
139 Posts
At the end of the day it comes down to luck, sometimes people will leave your stuff alone, sometimes they won't. I do have some advice, although i don't own a property like this yet I have done some research and here is some advice I have found.

-Know your neighbourhood before you buy. Look at the local crime statistics, talk to neighbours about what expericnes they have had. Check out the local police, how good are they? What is the attitude towards crime, youths and prepping in the area.

-Keep the property concealed from the road outside. So if I stood on the road I wouldn't be able to see it.

-Have the main path from the drive way do many winds and turns and eventually lead off to a false cabin. Get a small fake cabin and put some food, maybe a chair or to inside it and a few other things, people may think it is just a small hunting cabin and if it is on the main path it may fool people into thinking that is all that is there.

-Have a small dirt road, ideally one that looks rough and unused lead of the main path that goes to your actual location. Make sure that as soon as it goes of the main road it turns past some trees so it can't be seen. Also place some shrubs and bushes to cover the entrance to the road.

-Secure the house as much as possible. If someone really wants to get in they will, but the longer it takes the better, they may just give up and move to an easier target. Reinforce your doors, add more locks use fly screen doors, smash proof windows, alarms (both electric and manual), CCTV, motion sensors lights, motion sensors alarms around the house, fences, barb wire, private property signs etc.

-Make your house hard to see even when on the property, have thick tress surrounding the house that you can't see through. Make there only 2 entrances to the area and make them small and non noticeable. Also design the area so that you funnel people into a "kill zone" that limits their avenues of approach, useful to deter both criminal and opponents by exposing them.

-Hide everything! Leave nothing in plane sight you can not afford to lose. Bury your propane tank, have an underground water tank, store your fire wood in large logs, took big to carry away (you can chip away at it later). Your power generator should be locked away, underground in the basement if possible. Have a basement built with a hidden hatch that you place under a carpet and then put a piece of heavy furniture over that. Make it fireproof so if your place burns down it won't be lost.

-Store some of your supplies away from the main location, look into some sort of bunker, not like the ones on doomsday peppers but big enough to store your food, water, medical supplies etc.

-I would not store your guns at the main location if you keep them there at all.

-Have an agreement with your neighbours if you trust them so that if they see anything they will check it out.

Your best plan is hide everything valuable that way if, God forbid, you need your bug out location your supplies are safe and untouched. Yes the house and furniture may have been thrashed a but it's better than nothing and at least those can be fixed. (Good idea to have DIY supplies on hand to fix things.)

·
New and yet, old
2,795 Posts
I have a series of video cameras, all with IR and movement capability and they are hooked to a CPU that uses the Internet to send me an email still photo of anything happening. All movement is captured and archived for playback.

I made sure all the closest neighbors knew about the cameras and the email capability and I have yet to experience any losses since we took over the property two years ago. I did this by showing them pictures of them on the property while I was gone. And yes they were startled and apologetic.

(knock on wood after praising God for his blessings)

·
Amat victoria curam
1,353 Posts
I use game cams as well, won't prevent but perhaps help in prosecution. Additionally local sheriff's office has courtesy patrols and checks if not busy, I called spoke with them and added to list. I also invited conservation officer and local deputies to use land to hunt, fish and use my range. All have take home vehicles they use and people know they come and go from my property. Lastly I help neighbors when I can and hopefully the keep eye out. Nothings fool proof or perfect solution but no problems yet.

·
Psalm 23:4
2,891 Posts
Steve is right that no security is invincible. Depending on what you're willing to spend you can make it pretty damn hard. Cost is a concern for most of us. I'd decide how much you're willing to spend because that affects your options.

I'd start with securing the property. Fences and locked gates. Both at the edge of your property and a second one around the structure. No one should be able to approach the building under the pretense of knocking on your door for any reason. This is soft as far as layers of security go, but the more deterrents the better. This way they are breaking the law before they can even start sizing up your other layers of security.

If you're building something that requires pouring a foundation I would consider a concealed vault. Done right it's not invincible, but would take anyone but a skilled safe cracker a long time and a lot of work.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have a series of video cameras, all with IR and movement capability and they are hooked to a CPU that uses the Internet to send me an email still photo of anything happening. All movement is captured and archived for playback.

I made sure all the closest neighbors knew about the cameras and the email capability and I have yet to experience any losses since we took over the property two years ago. I did this by showing them pictures of them on the property while I was gone. And yes they were startled and apologetic.

(knock on wood after praising God for his blessings)
Good idea with the IR cameras, I've been thinking of putting up motion sensors. Any idea of how you could get these to still work in a grid down situation? So that they could work off the main internet?

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'm away from my farm for months at a time and there's never been a problem. It really depends on who your neighbors are.

You can always set up so game cams.
Yep, that's how it is around here. Months at a time when my neighbors vanish. But it's wide open around here, not an easy place to hide nefarious activities.

Nothing ever happens here. Cops don't patrol at all; they only come out on calls. We're a watchful, well-armed and cranky bunch. Lowlifes don't like the percentages.

·
Psalm 23:4
2,891 Posts
Good idea with the IR cameras, I've been thinking of putting up motion sensors. Any idea of how you could get these to still work in a grid down situation? So that they could work off the main internet?
I played around with cellular linked game cameras that you can watch on a phone. Works if you have coverage, but I doubt the cellular networks would be up if the grid were down. Looked into the satellite systems. The subscription to service and per minute charge was pretty steep. The camera's are cheap. You'd need some kind of satellite linked device on your end, but I didn't look into too much once I saw the ongoing cost.

·
Master Rationalizer
1,715 Posts

Thanks
Randomly dig several craters on the property where they would be seen by trespassers. Pick up a few pairs of used shoes at a local thrift store. Char them a bit and scatter the around the craters. Then post signs declaring landmines.

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
I have the same experiences as Apiners and Four Corners. I've been building on my place for about 5 years now and never been bothered. I employ some of the same logic as Papabob, I let snoopers look and not see anything worth taking. Views from my windows don't display anything of much value.

I'm not away from my place for long periods, but I try to make it look like there is frequent activity. When it snows, I try to make as many tracks as possible. The place had a big metal gate when I bought it that you could see from the road in front. I quit closing it and now use a cable across my driveway that is hard to see so that everybody driving by knows when I'm there and when I'm not. I have bought a fake video camera but I haven't installed it yet.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Sometimes you don't have to be away for a long period of time. I lost 40,000 dollars in tools and equipment in one night. I had good steel doors bars on the windows but I didn't think about the fiberglass skylight panels in the roof. One of them was stomped out then the aholes dropped into the shop and opened the roll up door and loaded up what they wanted. I was gone from the property to work for about 10 hours.
Mark

·
Banned
563 Posts

Thanks
Freshen up your no tresspassing signs. Spend more time out there. Confront tresspassers. Inform local police and game wardens. Put up a for sale sign.

·
Banned
563 Posts
No Mr. Nice Guy. No, you can't fish from my pond. No you can't ride your 4-wheeler. No you can't walk my river bank. No you can't harvest my ginseng. No, you can't have my downed wood. No, you can't shoot my deer. No you can't pick my mushrooms. As soon as you give in to anything those people will not hesitate to invite their friends. Before you know it things get out of hand. Yes, it is for SALE or non-exclusive lease.

·
Semper Fi
9,553 Posts
Sometimes you don't have to be away for a long period of time. I lost 40,000 dollars in tools and equipment in one night. I had good steel doors bars on the windows but I didn't think about the fiberglass skylight panels in the roof. One of them was stomped out then the aholes dropped into the shop and opened the roll up door and loaded up what they wanted. I was gone from the property to work for about 10 hours.
Mark
Pad lock on the roll-up seems to have been in order.

People truly do SUCK!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts