Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Por la gloria!
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When TEOTWAWKI occurs, what is going to happen to all of the knowledge our modern society possess?
~
When the Roman Empire fell, nearly all of their knowledge burn with them. From public sanitation to artwork, many aspects of what makes a civilization civilized, was lost. As survivalists, we mustn't let the Dark Ages happen all over again. We cannot allow the history and wisdom of the ancients to be lost another time.
~
What I am proposing to all that read this, is that you acquire as much knowledge as possible, preferably in texts and manuscripts. Acquire as many publications you can. Preserve the knowledge of everything we know. From biochemistry to astronomy to limnology, all knowledge must be preserved.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
We vaccume seal my old textbooks and college books after were done with the class and put em in 40mm ammo cans if teptwawki kiks off i dont think i will have much competition at the local library borrowing all the classics and educational books I want

Reactions: ironfourlife

·
Banned
1,927 Posts
The government has an old mine they use to store all data and the history of the usa and technology of the world from past and present.It is even kept at certain temps.....was on the history chanel about 3 months ago.Cant think of the name of it though.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I agree with all said on this thread.

I fear that if a situation should arise where by we as humans are forced into a pure, run and hide type of life for a prolong period of time, that knowledge will be lost.

As civilization advances techo stuff also advances. Can you imagine how someone from the 1800's would view the CD or DVD of today. No way could they understand the concept of data on a disk.

I think once society moves past the paper stage of storing info then we move into a very dangerious area of being able to lose all we have leaned.

I have seen and heard of the crystal skulls being found. It makes me wounder if some distant past civilization encoded thier intire history within the crystal and we just do not know how to extract it.

We need something like the rosta stone for what we are doing now so that if something does happen and sets us back 100's of years, the future can gain our history.

Hope I am making scence here.

later
wayne

·
Por la gloria!
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is the thought that all that knowledge is what brought us to where we are today.
The reason we are where we are, is because of the misuse of knowledge, not because of the knowledge itself.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I agree with all said on this thread.

I fear that if a situation should arise where by we as humans are forced into a pure, run and hide type of life for a prolong period of time, that knowledge will be lost.

As civilization advances techo stuff also advances. Can you imagine how someone from the 1800's would view the CD or DVD of today. No way could they understand the concept of data on a disk.

I think once society moves past the paper stage of storing info then we move into a very dangerious area of being able to lose all we have leaned...

We need something like the rosta stone for what we are doing now so that if something does happen and sets us back 100's of years, the future can gain our history...
I concur with the statement about the risk of storing data in a form other than hand-written texts. We survivalists, mustn't allow our knowledge to fade into oblivion. Just now I am sorting through all my books and I have found one called: The Ancient Kingdoms of Mexico, by Nigel Davies. All written manuscripts need to be safeguarded.

Not just written works, but also artwork, music, technology, must all be protected from being consumed. We must defend these, for that, if they are lost, our history is lost. If our history is lost, history is doomed to repeat itself.

·
Registered
140 Posts
When Rome Fell

When TEOTWAWKI occurs, what is going to happen to all of the knowledge our modern society possess?
~
When the Roman Empire fell, nearly all of their knowledge burn with them. From public sanitation to artwork, many aspects of what makes a civilization civilized, was lost. As survivalists, we mustn't let the Dark Ages happen all over again. We cannot allow the history and wisdom of the ancients to be lost another time.
~
What I am proposing to all that read this, is that you acquire as much knowledge as possible, preferably in texts and manuscripts. Acquire as many publications you can. Preserve the knowledge of everything we know. From biochemistry to astronomy to limnology, all knowledge must be preserved.
This is not entirely accurate. From the 3rd century to the 10th century, Europe was invaded and overrun by various hordes almost every century. Vangals, Goths, VisiGoths, Huns, Franks, Saxons, Jutes, Saracens, Magyars, Vikings. Almost every century saw invaders sweep through Europe burning villages, raping women, sometimes conquering and staying, sometimes being defeated and driven back.

It took seven centuries of almost constant warfare to lose the inheritance of Classical Knowledge from Greece and Rome.

The Library of Alexander was not burnt once. It was burnt at least twice that I can recall off the top of my head, and may have been burnt three or four times. That was in Egypt and Egypt was not invaded as often or as brutally as Europe was.

So, I cannot conceive that the knowledge we possess today will vanish overnight. Much will survive, and it would take a series of natural disasters over centuries to lose.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Our problem is that we have stopped documenting our knowledge, especially the scientific, medical and technological knowledge in hard copy. If everything really went south the power would be off for a very long time and all the very technical data accumulated will be lost. There is nothing we can do about it if we wanted to.

·
Registered
140 Posts
True

Our problem is that we have stopped documenting our knowledge, especially the scientific, medical and technological knowledge in hard copy. If everything really went south the power would be off for a very long time and all the very technical data accumulated will be lost. There is nothing we can do about it if we wanted to.
This is indeed the potential problem Modern technologies for information storage could represent a sort of glass jaw making a knockout punch to modern civilization easier to deliver.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
This is indeed the potential problem Modern technologies for information storage could represent a sort of glass jaw making a knockout punch to modern civilization easier to deliver.
welcome back, have not seen u in a while, still collecting i hope,

in the end the brain is the only place to hold knowledge to pass on, think that is why mankind was setback so long in his march forward.

the cyrstal skull, might hold massive amounts of info if we only knew hold the people of thousands of years ago stored their data

pyrimads might be one way but it is a very slow retrival if they were intended intended as such,

i always thougt a space capcales or several with different decay rates sent up to fall back over hundreds or thousands of years would be the best way for info storage long long term, a rosata stone would be required of course,

a earth based storage chamber will always fall into the hands of those who wish to suppress info for their own gain.

i think this has (is being)) been done in our times, destroying info for religious reasons, as well

greed will always win out over those who truely seek to advance and improve humanity

show me a lover of books and knowledge for its sake and i will show u a person who truly desire all for the benifiet of all for knowlege sake

sounds corney, but true

just my thoughts

later
wayne

·
Registered
81 Posts
Maybe this should be moved to a new thread...

The discussion here echos what peace core types are trying to do for 3rd world countries, they are trying to build simple building blocks for society that do not have the crap patented out of them by Monsanto and Microsoft.

This guy was trying to run a farm in MO, its a great video, he built a popular tractor loader design:

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/marcin_jakubowski.html

TED Fellow Marcin Jakubowski is open-sourcing the blueprints for 50 farm machines, allowing anyone to build their own tractor or harvester from scratch. And that's only the first step in a project to write an instruction set for an entire self-sustaining village (starting cost: $10,000).

The prepper community is resourceful and can help the international development community. If you develop plans for a corn shucker, it can be used in any s**thole 3rd world country, even your own, when shtf!

Also, open source technology, like 3D printing widely available, makes government repression impossible. You figure it out!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.