Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
is surviving in DA South
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard of alot of little tips and tricks to hunt squirrel. Like rubbing 2 pennies together sounds like them eating nuts, flapping a plastic bag sounds like bird. The one I think works the best is when you hunt along a fence line you take your jacket and hat off, put them on a fence post, sneak over to the other side of the tree and usually it confuses the squirrel enough for you to get a clean shot, I have used this many times hunting in south texas and it does work. Dose anybody else have any good squirrel hunting tricks?

·
Really?
16,125 Posts
You find a big Pecan tree and sit off from it and send a message with your Secret Squirrel decoder that there's a sack o' nuts and a party in your pants and then just pick 'em when they come runnin':D:

·
RESET CONGRESS!!
9,462 Posts
If alone, sitting or laying (covered with some leaves) and a lot of patience and listening helps. Look for signs of squirrels feeding. Scout the woods ahead of time. Patience and more patience. If you have a friend or a disciplined doggie, you can tree them from a distance and play 'circle the tree' until a clean shot can be made.

I have 'tree rats' feeding off my deck here. They're everywhere. Lots of road kill,.. what a waste.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
you can take a broom handle and put loop snares on the top and haf the pole go to a bird feeder theyl run up it to get the food go through a loop freak out fall off pole and hang themselvs while its not sporting it does work well i recomend especialy if your in a city were the use of a firearm is prohibited

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
First 2 hours in the day and last 2 hours in the day are the best time. Gray squirrels are usually 1 hour after sunrise up and 2 hour feed. They also come out a bit earlier in the afternoon.

A squirrel call can locate them and sometime draw them in. A squirrel tail on a stick can really wake them up too. In summer months a young squirrel distress call coupled with a plastic bag to sound like a bird of prey can really make some come in fast.

They have decent sense of smell. They aren't too bother by human scent. Peanut butter make them come to take a look.

they are little bother by sound as much as sight. hen you come up to a hill top. Walk right up, but then go nice and slow until you head pops out. Rarely are squirrel startled when you quietly look over.

The biggest trick to squirrel hunting is not to work an area too hard. Once you get a good dozen from one area, leave it alone for the year.

Also, I have many squirrels and turned around after the shot to see some dder staring at me. Don't be afraid to small game hunt during deer season. Sometimes the most successful hunting on some days is by going to them.

·
Never Give up
7,579 Posts
For ground and tree squirrels

If you cant get a good shot at them pick up a tree limb about 1.5 to 2.5 inches in diameter and hit the tree trunk that there in a couple of times and then wait a min. For some reason they cant stand it and they either run down the tree fast of jump to another. So I use it for when they either hang up or cant get a clean shot.
You need to watch out though I have had them run down most of the way and jump at me to get out of there.

·
Registered
158 Posts
That's a good idea. Sometimes if they are hiding on the other side of the tree I'll chuck a branch or rock on the other side and sometimes they'll come around.

Got some today with my new rifle.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Don't feel hard pressed about the times I have mentioned. I seem to still get a good few around 11am to 1pm too.

There are no hard and fast rules. The biggest fox squirrel I got was in a clump of pine trees in a mainly maple and oak forest. The biggest patch of huge oak trees in my favorite spots has like 2 squirrels. South facing hills can be a bit better as with deer.

Where there's squirrel, there's deer.

·
Registered
802 Posts
As a youth on the farm ammo was scarce. We scrounged up 27 22s and my buddy and I went hunting. We took turns "bird dogging". That is, one would walk about 100' ahead and make lots of noise with bushes limbs etc. The other would walk quietly behind and pop them in the head as they slid around the trees. We came back with 26 tree rats hanging from our belts. LOL, we looked like hulu dancers. Second best is to find a hardwood tree(Oak or Hickory) that has eaten shells of nuts under it. Pick a secluded spot and sit motionless early in the morn or evening. Have gotten six out of one large Oak.

·
0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13,
886 Posts
you can take a broom handle and put loop snares on the top and haf the pole go to a bird feeder theyl run up it to get the food go through a loop freak out fall off pole and hang themselvs while its not sporting it does work well i recomend especialy if your in a city were the use of a firearm is prohibited
Thanks! Maybe I can surround my garden with little nooses. :D:

I hate squirrels.

·
Burner
668 Posts
If you cant get a good shot at them pick up a tree limb about 1.5 to 2.5 inches in diameter and hit the tree trunk that there in a couple of times and then wait a min. For some reason they cant stand it and they either run down the tree fast of jump to another. So I use it for when they either hang up or cant get a clean shot.
You need to watch out though I have had them run down most of the way and jump at me to get out of there.
Now thats a youtube video that would make me **** my pants :D:

·
I like turtles
110 Posts
Biggest problem I have run into is the little turds will go to the other side of the tree..
I always just chucked a stick or two around the tree that they were in..

they will scurry to your side and you can perish them in the head.

·
Christian
39,501 Posts
Go in the woods dressed as your grandmother.

Read aloud from a printed version of the huffington post.

they will come to you, they love nuts.........

·
Μολὼν λαβ
78 Posts
Nice FarmerJohn! :upsidedown:

With 2 people, I always searched for them together. Once you find them. One person stays, while the other just walks around to the other side of the tree(s). Every time they will expose themselves to the motionless person. :cool: Boom, head shot.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Find a straight log about 10 ft long, trip all the branches and twigs. Starting from 2ft from each end place wire snares about every 12-14" apart. Place them so that they are at the correct height to catch the head and neck. Then smear the log with peanut butter and birdseed. Set the log at an angle against a tree in close proximity to a denning area. They run down the tree to the bait, get caught in the snare and then hang themselves. 3 or 4 of these can be set up quickly and can be very productive in high population areas. Sometimes the bait isn't even needed.

·
Miles togo before I sleep
472 Posts
Be careful... these "Secret Squirrels" shoot back! ;)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts