Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Secret Source of Hidden Electricity already in your home!

The following link is to a YouTube channel for a guy who has some pretty ingenious hacks and tricks that are both easy and inexpensive. For a general power outage, this seems pretty smart and would allow you to keep your batteries charged or may even work as a trickle charger.

http://www.youtube.com/user/kipkay#p/u/76/WoaLGvJkoP8

Unfortunately, I don't have a home phone (cell phone only) so this won't work in my house. It may be another great item in your bag of tricks however!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Great thread. I also don't have a phone in my house, but do have cable for my internet. I think it has power just like the phone. My question is, can it be harvest just the same.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Was wondering if there is someone more "electronically" minded that might be able to "spell out" the parts that are needed.

Those little things with wires, don't mean much to me, but If I knew which ones to buy, I could definitely solder them together.

Thanks.

·
Waking the sleeping giant
54 Posts
**Facepalms**

Why didn't I think of that... Wonder if you could get your router/modem to run off it?

Hmm...

·
Registered
14,867 Posts
**Facepalms**

Why didn't I think of that... Wonder if you could get your router/modem to run off it?

Hmm...
Umm I seriously doubt that considering the router/modem needs the power in the line to make a connection, much less run it's own requirements.

·
The "Truth" Is A Lie!
530 Posts
I did this several years ago just for fun. I got the directions off of a website, www.instructables.com I do believe. I'm not too electronic myself so I can't spell it out for you. The truth is, it will only power a couple of small led lamps, or a tiny low powered fan or something like that. It's only 40-47 watts.

I got voip now, so I'm outta luck. :(

EDIT: here's the instructions and a list of what you need. http://www.instructables.com/id/FREE-Hidden-Electricity!/

·
Apocaloptimist
2,708 Posts
Your phone jacks will only be active and have power if you are paying for a phone line. The physical line is punched down on big 25 pair block somewhere in your neighborhood called a D-mark.

·
Registered
393 Posts
So 40-70 volts even in a a power outage isn't enough to run a 9v modem, please explain?
Volts, watts, and amps are all different measurements of energy, and are closely related to one another. One appliance may need 12 volts, consume 2 watts, and draw 1 ampere, while another may need only 6 volts, consume 10 watts, and draw 8 amperes. The source may be providing the required voltage, but not providing sufficient amperage, or visa-versa. Likewise, too much voltage or amperage can destroy whatever it is connected to.

It all depends on what you're trying to use the source for.

http://www.powerstream.com/Amps-Watts.htm

·
Registered
972 Posts
C'mon guys.........22 gauge wire won't pass much current. Wait till a pile of folks all try this at once.

Also, this voltage is ultimately supplied by batteries. If the grid goes down, the batteries will follow, especially once a bunch of dweebs stert trying to run flashlights from them.

·
Registered
530 Posts
That is an interesting little trick. I wish he had gone into more detail with the electronic components since they come in all shapes and sizes.

·
Registered
12,971 Posts
Why not just learn about solar energy, and invest in solar pannels and batteries in sted of figuring ways to jepordise communication. It's the worst idea ever to tap into the phone power especially if there is an emergency and some one is trying to make a call and the power is so low in the line it won't carry the signal. tampering with the phone company's power can make you liable.
Seriously, the energy wasted on the wrong things isn' practical. I've live on solar pannels for almost 40 years , and have had the cheepest power bills ever.
It's not rocket science and the components are not complicated at all. start little and grow naturally . The nice thing about solar battery charging is that if you stay with one voltage say 12 volts , stacking more pannels even little ones , make a contrabution .
LED lighting has come a long way even auto parts stores are a good source for them .
I have both 6 and 12 volt lighting in my home . some are floresent =very effecient, some are LED=extreemly effecient, some are incandesent ie quartz =moderately effecient , and 1 or 2 standard incandesent bulbs =by comparison not very effecient at all. The refridgerator and micro wave are the only AC powered apliances in the house.
I lived in an area the power dropped out during the winter from snow and ice on the power lines and when it was restored the surge sometimes would hurt the sensitive electronics but even the refridgerators as well.
In retrospect it might have been advisable to shut them off after the power went out and then turn them back on after the power was restored, reducing the surge , some times it would be a false start and that hurts the fridge.
Any way , I didn't have solar pannels yet capable of running off the grid but i wanted to protect my computer , so I bought batteries and a charger and inverter. this saved me thousands compared to the losses my friends endured living round me.
What's relly funny is even proving my system worked, people still choose to ignore it and keep replacing thier burned out stuff. Guess I'm just not rich enough to do that.

·
Registered
633 Posts
"Also, this voltage is ultimately supplied by batteries. If the grid goes down, the batteries will follow, especially once a bunch of dweebs stert trying to run flashlights from them."

One of my wife's cousins designs back up systems (generators and engines) for US WEST or Quest... There will be power to the phone lines until they run out of fuel. Solar, wind, and water can all provide energy. I don't know how many people would really draw on it, but it would be okay for a little lighting at night.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I work for a phone company and not all sites have a backup power source other than batteries.

Also it may get your phone put into lockout. If the line card thinks you are drawing to much current it will cut you off to keep the others online.

And as stated previously, You WILL be liable(criminal and civil) for any emergency calls that don't go through if you tamper will the lines.

·
3 more years of this?
2,864 Posts
Apparently your gas lines also have a line with electricity run on the outside of the pipe up to 300vdc. looking to hack this:D: Im assuming they use this when there is a break in the line to send a signal back to their offices.

·
Thinking outside the box
764 Posts
A couple of years ago the gas company came thru and replaced the gas line running thru my yard with a plastic one. On the outside of the pipe is a copper tracer wire that is used to find the pipe from the surface using thier locating equipment. They never made any mention of running a voltage thru it. I would think that may be a hazzard to run that high of a voltage right up along with a gas line.

·
The "Truth" Is A Lie!
530 Posts
A couple of years ago the gas company came thru and replaced the gas line running thru my yard with a plastic one. On the outside of the pipe is a copper tracer wire that is used to find the pipe from the surface using thier locating equipment. They never made any mention of running a voltage thru it. I would think that may be a hazzard to run that high of a voltage right up along with a gas line.
Yes indeed. it sounds pretty insane. sounds like a major accident waiting to happen. I have seen the tracer wire, there is no power going through it, it's not connected to anything.

Almost all gas lines have a radio controlled valve somewhere in the line (which are one of the greatest threats to the nation in case of a EMP or super solar flare btw. Outside of the pumps, they are a main reason the gas, water, and oil will go down during such an event according to a fema report.). If there is power down there perhaps it's used to power them?

·
Just Country Folk
179 Posts
The tracer wires on buried pipes is to put a tone generator on, then a pickup device is used to trace the path above the ground. The "call before you dig" folks use a tone generator, on the phone lines and the power lines too.

Tapping power from the phone lines can be done using a couple diodes and a capacitor, but not worth the effort for the low current, or the stiff fine if caught. Not to mention not being able to get the phone line service back, your provider will cut you off. Use peddle power, wind and water power, or solar power. F.G.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts