Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
I am whatever I say I am
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to add another home defense weapon. I already own an S&W 686P revolver, and thinking about adding either a shotgun or a semi-auto or another revolver.

My rationale for the handgun is:
a) I can probably find a semi-auto that fires .357 magnum like my revolver (Glock 31, 32, 33), so I can have only one caliber of ammo;
b) handguns may become the first target of stronger gun control after the elections (tends to be the criminals' weapon of choice), which means time to buy is now;
c) easier to practice with vs shotgun - two ranges within 30 minutes drive that allow only handguns, vs a range one hour away that allows anything.
d) my wife "should" have easier time with a handgun (provided that she ever develops interest in shooting)
e) easier to conceal, on a person, in a vehicle or in the house.

On the other hand, the shotgun:
a) has a great intimidation factor
b) far more effective on a "per shot basis"
c) not likely to be banned soon ("farmers' weapon" - maybe the gun grabbers don't want to alienate rural folks just yet?).
d) tends to be cheaper (but makes it up with ammo).

I am probably going to make a purchase this week, so I am looking for opinions. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
215 Posts
I do not think the Semi Auto pistols shoot the same .357cartridge as your revolver- most likely they are chambered in 357 Sig.

A shotgun would be far more powerful and versatile than a second handgun, capable of effective self defense and hunting out to 75-100 yards with slugs.

·
Broken Richaed Grunt
589 Posts
Go into battle with the most powerful weapon you can. Remember though, once the round leaves the barrel you own it. If it should stray or over penetrate and hit some one other than your target, bad jojo. A shotgun with the 1st 2 rounds birdshot, than bring it up a notch with 00 if the bad guy still wants to fight.

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
I...My rationale for the handgun is:
a) I can probably find a semi-auto that fires .357 magnum like my revolver (Glock 31, 32, 33), so I can have only one caliber of ammo...
The only semi-auto I'm aware of that shoots the .357 Mag, the same ammo as your revolver, is the Coonan. It's an absolutely beautiful firearm. Coonan went out of business back in '98. Today these guns run over $1000 in decent condition...

I do not think the Semi Auto pistols shoot the same .357cartridge as your revolver- most likely they are chambered in 357 Sig.
The .357Sig is a 40S&W cartridge case necked down to .357, so although the bullet may be the same, you'll never get the cartridge in the cylinder of your revolver..

Your choices are another revolver or a different caliber...

Allan

·
Banned
1,092 Posts
Desert Eagle platform can shoot .357 magnum but it's grip is to big for my BIG hands and there expensive.

As foar a the shotgun, from my security guard training (by police) any time you going in to a KNOW gunfight and you don't bring to shotgun thats available to you........ you deserve everything you get for being stupid.

Words to live by.

Rifleman 336

·
Oooo Crumbs!!!
348 Posts
for the price of a new handgun that will give you limited utility you can buy a good used shotgun and a 22 rifle. At a latter date you could add a 357 lever gun and a small 38 or 357 revolver too if you want maximum utility with minimum ammo inventory.

·
I am whatever I say I am
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for your input. So shotgun it is. Going to the gun shop tomorrow morning, hopefully they have a reasonably priced Mossy 500!

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
i would get rid of the revolver and get a 12ga for the home and a semi-auto pistol for conseal carry. if things get bad but you still have to go to work. life hasnt stoped just turned 3rd world,you need a weapon that you can carry to the store and to work with, consealed. and its alot easier to reload a semi-auto while driveing than a revolver. and you better get it NOW because in 6 months or a year, you may not beable to ever get them again :(

·
Registered
61 Posts
For home defense a shotgun is the way to go, hands down.

IMHO: (Which if not an opinion would most likely be wrong! Haha)

My rationale for the handgun is:
a) I can probably find a semi-auto that fires .357 magnum like my revolver (Glock 31, 32, 33), so I can have only one caliber of ammo;
That's going to be a hard task as Rifleman stated.

b) handguns may become the first target of stronger gun control after the elections (tends to be the criminals' weapon of choice), which means time to buy is now;
I'm sure our friends getting elected are going to target all guns.

c) easier to practice with vs shotgun - two ranges within 30 minutes drive that allow only handguns, vs a range one hour away that allows anything.o
Shotguns always seemed to be quite a bit easier to hit targets with for me, you should still shoot them at the range quite a bit though.

d) my wife "should" have easier time with a handgun (provided that she ever develops interest in shooting)
She will have to decide that, my fiance' shot a ton of guns, her favorite? .45 (The third gun she shot on her first time shooting! Sorry, but that is hot.)

e) easier to conceal, on a person, in a vehicle or in the house.
Shotgun next to the bed.

On the other hand, the shotgun:
a) has a great intimidation factor
Any gun is intimidating, but should only be brandished when you intend on stopping whatever target you are looking at. Don't pull it unless you intend to use it.
Don't get me started on the noise of a shotgun, it sounds cool but for tactics it's a bad move.

b) far more effective on a "per shot basis"
Absolutely, 1 00buck is like 9 9mm rounds if I remember correctly.

c) not likely to be banned soon ("farmers' weapon" - maybe the gun grabbers don't want to alienate rural folks just yet?).
I think they will target all guns.

d) tends to be cheaper (but makes it up with ammo).
Ammo isn't that bad. Figure a decent handgun is what? $600 at least. (Guessing since prices have gone nuts.) A decent shotgun is maybe $300? That's ALOT of ammo to buy. Haha.

At any rate, let us know how you made out at the shop!

·
Banned
13,890 Posts
If you're worried about home defense and fightng off looters: Shotgun, without question, with a varied supply of rounds; slug, 00, 'bean bag'.

If you worried about going up against the man, or better armed people with body armor: A 7.62 rifle or higher.

·
American fearmaker
14,245 Posts
In your situation, I would go with a good 12 ga. Remington 870 shotgun. Since you already have a .357 revolver, another option would be a good lever action saddle carbine, like a Marlin, in .357 magnum too. That way you could have a decent long arm that matches the ammo requirements of your present handgun. A saddle carbine will also let your drop deer or feral hogs with a fair amount of distance between you and them. Mount a small scope on the lever action carbine and you increase your accuracy quite a bit for much of your shooting needs. Those are probably the two choices I would think about for now if I were you.

·
Food Storage Solutions
1,029 Posts
Moss 500 12g with 18 barrel (18" is legal in Fl). Easy to mount a tactical light or laser which work great in close quarters combat.

View attachment 9174

Have to second this one ^^ that is my next purchase. I would stock up on the ammo as much as you can because if Hussein gets in office its going to go up 3x as it did in the clinton presidency.

·
I am whatever I say I am
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am back from the shop. Picked up a Mossberg 500 Cruiser with a "Just In Case" survival case and survival kit. All for about $320. I will add a folding stock to it later. Will pick it up and bring it home on Sunday afternoon.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts