Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas, anyone here active with a search and rescue group? I've googled the subject, but I'm really not finding the answers I'm looking for.

I thought that there would be one federally operated SAR group, but it seems like they are all local, volunteer operations. Is there one official SAR group, or does it just depend on your location?

For someone looking to get involved, any suggestions on where to start?

I'm temporarily located on the east coast, just moved back home after graduating college, and now about to start EMT classes. I figured I could use the EMT experience towards SAR group.

Any other information would be awesome, thanks!

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Most FEMA SAR Groups will not accept civilians. You may be able to find a local SAR through your local Emergency Management / FD / PD depending on your location

·
Green Eggs and Spam
5,070 Posts
Hey fellas, anyone here active with a search and rescue group? ...

Any other information would be awesome, thanks!
I think SAR groups are all local.

Trying to help here, I think you might be able to gain knowledge of the SAR in your area by contacting a local HAM group. HAM's tend to be involved with their local community.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most FEMA SAR Groups will not accept civilians. You may be able to find a local SAR through your local Emergency Management / FD / PD depending on your location
does that mean they hire and train for paid positions? I would be up for that too, that was my intention all along, but getting to go out and volunteer is still fine with me too. I've got no one to answer to, so I can pick up and go whenever I get an itch. Or find a job :cool:

·
I am Jody
2,203 Posts
U.S. Navy, Coast Guard and Air Force would be a great place to get paid training. After I got out it was absolutely impossible for me to find work(paid) as a SAR Crewman. Many of the departments nationwide recruit within its own ranks. With some of the smaller counties in the U.S. they use people already on staff as temporary SAR crewman(quick ways to build up overtime pay) I have noticed a trend towards the Air National Guard taking care of most if not all SAR missions. Call a recruiter and go into the reserves atleast you would be that much further ahead in the game then the competition. Be advised all of the branches of the military consider this job high risk and you will have to volunteer for the training after you have joined, thats the way it was when I was in so it may have changed. Hope this helps and good luck to ya!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts