Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Animis Opibusque Parati
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know everyone's running amok snatching up assault rifles. Lord know I'm looking intently for a MAk-90 and a POF upper, but in the mean time, I'm thinking about building myself a low budget scout rifle from a surplus mauser. My local shop has a sporterized Erfurt (sp?) Mauser for $300. Midway has an A&B 30/06 barrel for $80. ATI has a scout stock for $60. I figure it would be an excellent hunting/survival rifle with the right scope. Total cost is $440 + rings, scope and gunsmith labor, compared to a Ruger Frontier in .308 ($1000+ scope) or Steyr Scout ($2100+scope) Thoughts?

·
Registered
559 Posts
I like some scout rifles but I don't think on a budget project I would start with $300 gun. My local shop has Mausers for $180. $300 seems high to me.

For what you are looking to spend you could just buy a nice Remington 700 in 30-06 and mount a conventional scope setup.

If you want a real low buck scoped rifle buy a 91/30 Mosin and go on Gunbroker and find the guy with the bent Mosin bolts for $50. These aren't the hack and tap bolts you see everyone using these are actual bent bolts. For $300 you can have a nice rifle including scope and mount.

·
Sugar-free
4,184 Posts
I like some scout rifles but I don't think on a budget project I would start with $300 gun. My local shop has Mausers for $180. $300 seems high to me.

For what you are looking to spend you could just buy a nice Remington 700 in 30-06 and mount a conventional scope setup.

If you want a real low buck scoped rifle buy a 91/30 Mosin and go on Gunbroker and find the guy with the bent Mosin bolts for $50. These aren't the hack and tap bolts you see everyone using these are actual bent bolts. For $300 you can have a nice rifle including scope and mount.
+1 on the Mosin idea. Starting out with a 300 dollar gun would kind of ruin the project for me.

·
Animis Opibusque Parati
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not a big fan of Mosins. The reason why I wanted to convert a $2-300 Mauser was so that I could use 30/06, and not have to stock another round type.

·
Sugar-free
4,184 Posts
Not a big fan of Mosins. The reason why I wanted to convert a $2-300 Mauser was so that I could use 30/06, and not have to stock another round type.
Ah....Would one of those 140 dollar Yugo Mausers work? Although the German K-98's are the best. I have some myself that are re-chambered and sporterized. That was back when they were practically giving away K-98's. Kinda like what they're doing with Mosins right now. The Mausers are becoming more rare, it's almost a shame to cut one up. But it's even more of a shame to just have one lay around because you don't have enough ammo for it. I think the Mauser would make an outstanding scout rifle. It would probably outshoot the Ruger frontier. A Mauser's action is like a bank vault, it triggers all the right senses when you shoot it, from the feel of the action opening, to the sound of it closing, the way the trigger lets off...very satisfying. With all of that prescision, it is still extremely rugged. With the 30-06 you will want a longer barrell, a short barrell will give away it's advantage over the .308. But that may not matter to you if you are building it in 30-06 from an ammo-interchangability standpoint. Keep us posted on this build if you decide to do it, it sounds interesting.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Sounds more like a bubba'ed 03 Springfield or M1917 might be a better choice.Already in the caliber you want,is pretty much a Mauser action.

·
American fearmaker
14,245 Posts
I would think that somebody might consider making a scout rifle using a Swedish Mauser in 6.5 X 55 caliber. The rifle is accurate. The bullet is phenomenal in performance and accuracy. There are just so many positive things about the Swedish Mauser that I don't understand why people who like the scout rifle concept don't use the idea with the 6.5 X 55 rounds and rifles. Maybe that could be your next project...

·
Animis Opibusque Parati
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's based on the same stock Steyr uses, except it doesn't have nifty things like an integral bipod or ammo storage in the buttstock.

I do have a question though, for you Mauser guys... what's the difference between large ring and small ring Mausers?

·
All around gun nut
202 Posts
Scout rifles... Love em! Here's food for thought.. Instead of going old. Go new! A mossberg ATR in .308. Rifle, scope, rings, mount, and gunsmithing. should run you about the same price. If you have a few mechanical skills you can do it yourself. This is mine from a different forum. http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/showthread.php?t=50907 Good luck and let us know what ya do?

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
It's based on the same stock Steyr uses, except it doesn't have nifty things like an integral bipod or ammo storage in the buttstock.

I do have a question though, for you Mauser guys... what's the difference between large ring and small ring Mausers?

Pressure. Equate it to a short and a long action in modern rifles, but chamber pressure insted of length of round...

·
Registered
272 Posts
Does it meet all of these requirements to be a true scout rifle. Weight-sighted and slung: 3 kilograms (6.6 lb). This has been set as the ideal weight but the maximum has been stated as being 3.5 kg (7.7 pounds).
Length: 1 meter (39 inches)
Nominal barrel length: 48 cm (19 inches)
Sighting system: Forward and low mounted (ahead of the action opening) long eye relief telescope of between 2x and 3x. Reserve iron sights desirable but not necessary. Iron sights of the ghost ring type, without a scope, also qualify.
Action: Magazine fed bolt action. Detachable box magazine and/or stripper clip charging is desirable but not necessary.
Sling: Fast loop-up type, i.e. Ching or CW style.
Caliber: Nominally .308 Winchester (7.62 x 51 mm). Calibers such as 7 mm - 08 Remington (7 x 51 mm) or .243 Winchester (6 x 51 mm) may be considered for frail individuals or where "military" calibers are proscribed.
Built-in bipod: Desirable but not mandatory.
Accuracy: Should be capable of shooting into 2 minutes of angle (4") or less at 200 yards/meters (3 shot groups).

·
Getting Ready
1,025 Posts
I read Hailgears post but it did not answer my question what exactly is the purpose of this type of firearm. It looks like any other hunting bolt action rifle.

They look cool though im not trying to hate on anybodys rifle.

T

1 - 20 of 41 Posts