Survivalist Forum banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
독수리 발톱
861 Posts
I wanted a bolt action several years back and was going to buy an old surplus and upgrade it, but it was going to cost just as much to upgrade the old one as to just buy a new one. I'm a big fan of the Scout concept.

·
Retired Army
5,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I like it. I put a brasstacker scout mount on my swede so I could still use iron sights
Thought about it, but I absolutely hate the flat blade rear sights, and the Brasstackers set too high for my liking. Besides, all it takes to make this whole again is a new rear sight base... not that I'll ever put it back, but it could be should Spanish Mausers suddenly become highly sought after...

·
What hell, pay attention
7,904 Posts
I think the lower you can keep the scope, so your cheek weld is as close to the irons as possible, the better off youre going to be.

One of the main points of the Scouts, is to be a fast and natural rifle to shoot with.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Why didn't you like the Enfield as a scout?
Sorry if you answered that previously, don't have time to go thru the whole thread right now.

·
Retired Army
5,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Why didn't you like the Enfield as a scout?
Sorry if you answered that previously, don't have time to go thru the whole thread right now.
Well, I did, but I wanted a "battle rifle" with more ammo capacity than the Spanish Mauser. The Mauser only holds 5 rounds. Also, the action of the Lee Enfield, with it's 60* throw, and short stroke (rear locking lugs) makes it much faster to operate than the Mauser. By swapping the scout scope to the Mauser, and the red dot to the Lee Enfield, it solved my problems. I can carry the Mauser with one hand over the receiver like I would a lever gun because it doesn't have a magazine hanging out the bottom... The Lee Enfield make the better fighting gun, (It's like a bolt action SOCOM 16 now) and the Mauser the better scout... Basically, I built them both wrong from the start.

·
Semper Fi
8,651 Posts
OP (or anyone else for that matter) is obviously free to make any bad decisions they want.

However it seems to me the FiL gave the OP a rifle with instructions to pass it down to his grandson with the clear intent it remain as a bit of family history brought back from the battlefield.

OP violated that agreement by chopping it up into the Scout rifle.

As someone pointed out he took a $800 rifle and spent some money, time and effort turning it into a $200 one.

·
Retired Army
5,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #70 (Edited by Moderator)
OP (or anyone else for that matter) is obviously free to make any bad decisions they want.

However it seems to me the FiL gave the OP a rifle with instructions to pass it down to his grandson with the clear intent it remain as a bit of family history brought back from the battlefield.

OP violated that agreement by chopping it up into the Scout rifle.

As someone pointed out he took a $800 rifle and spent some money, time and effort turning it into a $200 one.
Seems to me, you speak of things you know nothing about... having never spoken to my FIL about this rifle... or anything else for that matter, so what the hell would you know what his "intent" was?

Someone took a rifle that sat unused for decades because it has ****ty sights, and an uncomfortable crap stock, and made it a shootable tool, yet the heart of it is still the same historical rifle... it just doesn't look the same. As far as the dollar value of it... who gives a rats ass? Dollars don't get you nothing sitting in a closet for decades on end...

·
What hell, pay attention
7,904 Posts
LOL. I love it when the know it alls think they have it all figured out.

I cant tell you the number of times Ive heard that I devalued one of my Glocks because I stippled it, yet the few that I have stippled, and later sold, went for more than other guns of the same model in the case that wasnt, and they didnt sit for more than a couple of days. I didnt lose money on any of them.

Back when the FR-8's came in, my buddy bought a bunch, and cleaned up and "improved" a few of them, and more than doubled, even trippled his money on those he later sold. Seems people dont like straight bolts and beat to **** guns. Who'd have thunk?

That same buddy has a ton of real nice "collectible" milsurps, including a Sauer marked K98 that is in unissued shape and brought back at the end of WWII, that is in incredible shape. He didnt touch any of them, and you know why. ;)

If you think what was a $60 crap gun 30 years ago, and has been sitting in a closet or safe and is still a crap gun 30 years later, is now something priceless, Id be happy to sell it to you for $800-$1000 if I had it. Its an original $60 POS, just look at that worn to the metal finish, broken rear sight, and those big gouges in that cracked stock! If you turn it down now for $1000, youll be kicking yourself in the ass for the rest of your life!.:D:

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Not all old rifles are worthy of collecting. Some are just shooters. Make sure you know the difference before you mess it up. How many times have we heard the story of guy who brought in a browning citori and asked the gunsmith to cut the barrels to 16"?

·
Originalist
1,221 Posts
Personally I think it’s a bummer but it’s not mine to worry about it. If the family endorses your handling of it then I guess that’s that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Thought about it, but I absolutely hate the flat blade rear sights, and the Brasstackers set too high for my liking. Besides, all it takes to make this whole again is a new rear sight base... not that I'll ever put it back, but it could be should Spanish Mausers suddenly become highly sought after...
Mine has adjustable rear sight The gov put on for target shooting matches.

61 - 80 of 83 Posts