Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I check the local Craig's List routinely for prep items. Came across a local guy who was selling an older Coleman campstove and lantern.

They looked good and he was only asking $35 for the two items.

Went out to his house Saturday and found that what he had for sale was a 1974 Coleman #220J gas lantern and a 1974 Coleman #425G campstove stove.

He told me that these were purchased when his son joined the Cub Scouts in 1974. Apparently the son did not care for the scouts and the stove and lantern were only used a few times. The gentlemen cleaned them up and put them away.

Gladly gave him $35 for the stove and lantern...as these were made when things were made to last. Just have to get some mantles for the lantern...and some Coleman white gas.

I was just going to bit the bullet and buy new...but patience paid off in this case.

Can't wait to use them on next adventure with the kids.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,580 Posts
They were definately made to last back then. I have a stove and lantern from just about that same year that my dad used for his gold hunting expeditions. They still work fine today. I've used them for years at deer camp and camping at the lake. I haven't even had to change a part on them yet other than lantern mantles. Though I guess I really should buy some spares.

·
Gun Luvin Hippie
231 Posts
This might be hard to believe but I just purchased two of the same model Coleman lanterns plus a stove off a guy from craigslist out hear in CA! I paid $25 per lantern and $40 for the 2 burner dual fuel stove so I didn't get as good a deal as you. When I got home I fired up the lanterns and one of them would not stay on. After lots of failed trouble shooting I contacted the seller and he let me drop by and swap it for another one which works great. These lanterns are great but make sure you test drive for a couple full minutes before you buy. I will probably buy an extra burner assembly off Coleman.com for $9 as a back up not if but when I need to replace it. Don't store you coleman liqued fuel gear with fuel in it; it really can foul things up.

I did get plastic Coleman lantern cases with my purchase though:D:

Hemp

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hemp:

Not a bad score at all. The guy I got my stuff from had the lantern and stove filled...and he turned them on to show me they worked. The latern does need the mantles replaced.

Let me ask you this...if I am not going to use the stove or lantern for a bit...do I just drain the fuel? Would I want to pour it through some sort of filter...rather than right back into the can?

These are my first gas items...so new to me.

I did see on line that they have plastic cases that still fit the 220 series...I will have to get one.

·
Registered
7,805 Posts
Coffee Filters for Strainers

Hemp:

Not a bad score at all. The guy I got my stuff from had the lantern and stove filled...and he turned them on to show me they worked. The latern does need the mantles replaced.

Let me ask you this...if I am not going to use the stove or lantern for a bit...do I just drain the fuel? Would I want to pour it through some sort of filter...rather than right back into the can?
These are my first gas items...so new to me.

I did see on line that they have plastic cases that still fit the 220 series...I will have to get one.

Always a good idea to strain gas going in and coming out ....... Coleman sells a small filter/funnel for filling ..... the plastic lantern cases have a built in pocket for storage .....

I use a coffee filter folded into a funnel for all my gas transfer purposes ...... you'll be surprised at the crap filtered out .......

Hint ..... besides a good supply of mantles get a couple of extra generators ...... an extra gas cap ...... and a lantern globe for when your's breaks, and it will

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Always a good idea to strain gas going in and coming out ....... Coleman sells a small filter/funnel for filling ..... the plastic lantern cases have a built in pocket for storage .....

I use a coffee filter folded into a funnel for all my gas transfer purposes ...... you'll be surprised at the crap filtered out .......

Hint ..... besides a good supply of mantles get a couple of extra generators ...... an extra gas cap ...... and a lantern globe for when your's breaks, and it will

Yeah...I figured a coffee filter would work...and I did get the filter/funnel with the latern.

I picked up six mantles last night at Walmart. Going to order an extra globe and generator (generator on backorder).

Thanks...

·
Gold Member
328 Posts
I was at a garage sale Saturday and spotted a 2 mantle Coleman lantern, in the original box, with a bunch of extra mantles marked $5. I went up to buy it, and the guy in front of me offered $3.75 and she took it!!!!

So you stole my karma!! :thumb:

·
Pleasantly demented woman
3,760 Posts
I was at a garage sale Saturday and spotted a 2 mantle Coleman lantern, in the original box, with a bunch of extra mantles marked $5. I went up to buy it, and the guy in front of me offered $3.75 and she took it!!!!

So you stole my karma!! :thumb:
MAN. I would have said, "I'll pay your price."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts