Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I scored about a 1/4 - 1/2 a truck load of horse manure for my garden. Most of the manure is dried, but some still has "chunks" in it.

1/2 of a raised bed was shoveled out, and filled in with the manure. 4 grape tomato plants and some cucumbers were planted directly into the manure. Between the manure and the top soil I spread a mixture of ash, 13-13-13, 21-0-0 and bone meal - about a hand full of each and then mixed together.

Then a few 5 gallon bucket loads were spread along a couple of beds in the garden. Today I am planning on tilling the manure into the side of the beds. I wish I had this manure just a couple of days ago. Then I could have mixed it in as I was tilling up my rows. But as it stands, the manure will be spread to the side and tilled under. The manure was spread along the peas, and some along the peppers. Part of the load this weekend will go along the rest of the peppers and tomatoes.

This weekend I have a lady who is giving me a whole truck load of horse manure. Her horse stalls need cleaning out, so I have plans on going over there saturday. She has several horse stalls in a barn. The barn is supposed to be big enough to drive my truck in and right up to the stall.

The truck load I am getting this weekend will be for the garden right now, and the water melons I want to plant this weekend. I also need it for the okra I want to plant at the end of the month.

If I get the melons planted this weekend I will use the tiller and work the manure into the soil. Its going to be a pretty good project.

·
Old Toot
296 Posts
Kev
Horses have poor digestive systems so weed seeds pass thru easily. If the owners were using a good quality hay it won't be too bad. Really fresh horse manure will be high in soluable nitrogen components and ammonia which can burn plants and interfere with seed germination. I think it's best to compost it for a while but others say that if it's tilled in it's great.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, I know about the weeds first hand. The manure is a mix of fresh and old, some of it really old.

Some of the manure was spread some along a row of peas and tilled it in this evening. Hopefully everything will be ok, since the manure is being diluted with the soil.

The manure was spread on the left side of the right hand row and tilled under, its the fresh looking soil. The soil the peas and peppers are pplanted in is of low quality. I have to do something to improve it.

The horses are fed a lot of high protein feed. Their grazing fields are not very good quality.

The grape tomatoes I planted seem to be tolerant of acidic soils. So hopefully they will be ok. Three years ago I used too much 13-13-13 fertilizer, and the grape tomatoes did not miss a lick,

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have my son and his friend putting 2 or 3 wheel barrow loads a day on my garden. Free horse manure is a great thing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a farm up the road that is giving away free cow manure. Is this something good or should I compost, till it into the soil, or just spread it out. I will be doing a container and regular garden this year??????

1 - 5 of 5 Posts