Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, as others have said, the nice thing about the Mosin Nagant is the fact that it can be bought for $69-89 for a rifle in decent to good condition. Taking this into consideration I've decided to figure out the best way to scope it without regards to authenticity or permanent damage - as long as it doesn't effect the performance of the gun. I would think this could be done by anyone with the correct tools to drill and tap is that correct?

As I know nothing about optics, could someone pick out a couple scopes which would be appropriate for this weapon.? I'd like to see scopes from $40-120 if possible. I apologize for asking this, but I really don't know much about this topic and I figure there are many here who would know much better. Also, a mount would be interesting as well.

I figure a $120-$200 rifle that is deadly to 1000m is a pretty good deal especially when 880 steel core rounds can be had for $140 as well!

·
war comin, choose a side
401 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
scoping a mosin the cheapest way possible may not be the best thing to do, the cheapest is often the worst way remember.

·
Pantomime Villain
3,969 Posts
I tried that route and wasn't satisfied with the end result. Basically you get a weaver mount kit that replaces the rear sight and then find a scope to suit. It never felt like it was adequately supported and my zero wandered. The very best way is to get a high wall breech Mosin and then buy the correct side mount - which will require a gunsmith to drill and tap fixture holes. It isn't terribly expensive - you see a lot of mount and original style scopes to suit on Ebay - but it will cost more than the rifle itself. But it's all relative - you still get a lot of gun and quality in comparison to a modern rifle in the low budget range.

·
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!
13,888 Posts
1000m accuracy seldom comes cheaply

What it takes to get there and what it takes to stay is what generally cost the most.

What does accuracy mean to you?

MOA (Angle)
MOM (Man)
MOLR (Large Rock)

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you think this would work for you? This is about the cheapest and easiest way i have ever come across. You can always upgrade the scope if you want/need to.

Amazon.com: Mosin Nagant 2.5x30 illuminated Scope + Scout Rifle Mount + Scope Rings Combo Set For 91/30 M44 M38: Sports & Outdoors

Where are you finding 880 steel core rounds for that price? The cheapest i can find is 440 for around $100.
Thanks for the link! I think that is just about exactly what I am looking for. Does that 2.5x30 mean that it only magnifies by 2.5 times? I might want something more powerful than that but I may be mistaken.

Also, the ammo was available at ammunitiontogo.com but I am having a tough time finding it again. I'm upset b/c I waited to order it till today and it doesn't seem to be on the site. It was silver tipped, steel core that was made in Russia and had 8 review of excellent, non corrosive and extremely accurate to 600 yards. I'll keep looking and let you know if I find it.

Finally about the scope and mount and going the "cheapest route not being the best" well I know that, but I meant that I didn't want to spend $50 on a mount that could be taken off when a $10 mount could word with a permenant mod to the gun. What about welding the mount with a couple spot welds with a mig/tig welder. That wouldnt' heat much of the barrel except one little spot and shouldn't distort the barrel any.?

·
war comin, choose a side
401 Posts
Thanks for the link! I think that is just about exactly what I am looking for. Does that 2.5x30 mean that it only magnifies by 2.5 times? I might want something more powerful than that but I may be mistaken.

Also, the ammo was available at ammunitiontogo.com but I am having a tough time finding it again. I'm upset b/c I waited to order it till today and it doesn't seem to be on the site. It was silver tipped, steel core that was made in Russia and had 8 review of excellent, non corrosive and extremely accurate to 600 yards. I'll keep looking and let you know if I find it.

Finally about the scope and mount and going the "cheapest route not being the best" well I know that, but I meant that I didn't want to spend $50 on a mount that could be taken off when a $10 mount could word with a permenant mod to the gun. What about welding the mount with a couple spot welds with a mig/tig welder. That wouldnt' heat much of the barrel except one little spot and shouldn't distort the barrel any.?
The scope is a pistol scope, you should keep that in mind. You can always put whatever" pistol" scope on that mount that you like/that will fit. Mounting a scope on a nagant is hard to do. Primary reason being the straight bolt handle. The reason you will need to use a pistol scope with that mount is because of the long eye relief they allow. If you want a rifle scope on it you will have to solve the problem of the straight bolt handle. There is a kit that allows you to put a bent bolt on there, but they suck. It is way too much hassle to put cheap crap on your rifle. I do know guys that have bent the bolt on their nagants by heating the stem and bending it. I am not good enough to attempt that. The best thing to do is get a "sniper" nagant. They already have a bent bolt, the scope mount, and the PU scope. I dont know if you have any experience with the PU scopes, but they are awesome. They only magnify 4x but the reticles are made to judge distance and compensate for bullet drop. That, imo, is the way to go with the nagant rifle. I am not one to mess with the historical aspect of a weapon. I like history and i like russian history more. Especially russian weapons. There is a reason their weaponry has been on every battlefield since their invention. I also hate removing the iron sights to accomadate a scope. Scopes lose their zero, irons do not. Ultimately it is up to you on how you want to go. That set up will be the cheapest and easiest way to do what you want. You can always upgrade the scope as time/money allows.

Also, i would recommend staying away from buying a bent bolt for the rifle. The reason being is because these rifles can be so crudely made their spacing may be different. Nothing worse then spending money and getting a new toy that will not work.

Either way, keep me posted and i will help when i can. I would love to know the way you go and how everything turns out for you. If i didnt answer your question thoroughly ask away and i will do what i can.

·
Banned
19,284 Posts
TO remove the rear sight sometimes the is solder in addition to the 2 pins holding it on. That will take about 1,300 degrees of heat w/ a torch. Also from what I've heard there is no surplus NON-CORROSIVE AMMO!! It doesn't exist!!! Just make it a habit to clean your weapon.:)

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TO remove the rear sight sometimes the is solder in addition to the 2 pins holding it on. That will take about 1,300 degrees of heat w/ a torch. Also from what I've heard there is no surplus NON-CORROSIVE AMMO!! It doesn't exist!!! Just make it a habit to clean your weapon.:)
That is what I was led to understand as well but I was reporting back on the reviews and description, not personal experience.

·
BulletMaster
1,387 Posts
I used the S & K mount on my M44 it a rock solid mount,as far as scopes I use an Long Eye Relief NcStar 3 x 7 x 32,my brother has used the same mount and scope on his 91/30 for about three years now with no issues.

It comes in steel lock ring which I have and Weaver rail mount. This mount just replaces the rear sight leaf so if you ever want to put it back to original form it's an easy process with no harm done to the rifle. I wish I had somewhere around here to try it out at 1000 yds. but in my neck of the woods 300 yds. is consider a long shot.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews/skm44scopemount/index.asp

First 5 shot group I shot at 50 yds. with my cast bullet plinking loads and scope setup.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts