Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a different priority on the type of scopes I use. The ones I generally put on defense longguns are not the top of the line mega buck ones as they are not going to be used for percision use but more for target acquisition and since rapid firing may be involved the persision of a Lyman may not even be utilized. Generally for the carbines a 4X china scope will do.
For hunting and counter sniper action may be involved one shot and accuracy is at a premium and the expense of a top line Ziess or Lyman is something to consider. 3x9 are the general concensus from what I have read and from my personal experience the best option all round past that the scopes get to jumpy from heart beats ect.
My group has put 4X scopes on all the AR and AK type carbines and 3x9's on a couple of the 30 cal full power military battle rifles just in case. On the hight power hunting rifles well a 3006 with 3x9 and a 30/30 with 4x Leapold glass. A Finnish Mosin-Nagant is in the process of being outfitted with a scope mount and given its iron accuracy probably a 3x9 quality glass.

·
Founder
16,869 Posts
hunting scopes

Most of the scopes my family uses for hunting is in the 3X9 and 4X12 range. My Remington 700 BDL in 280 / 7mm express has a 6-18X50 on it.

Most people hunting in a wooded forest will rarely need anything more then a 6 - 9 power scope. At least a 40 mm lens is recommended to gather as much light as possible in the morning and late evening hours.

Hunting in the mountains is a lot different then hunting in dense under brush. When making long shots, a 9+ power scope may be needed.

For close up shooting, consider a red dot scope or a halo scope.

·
Funky Laughin' Monk
291 Posts
For close up shooting, consider a red dot scope or a halo scope.
Good advice, Kev.

My two cents, try and swap a few of those rifles for some sort of flaptop RIS compatable rifle so you can easily swap out accesories, scopes,vertical grips, LAM's etc.

·
Pastor
1,965 Posts
The only Scope I own, is a Burris Tactical Mil-Dot.
I have owned Lepould, but I will never go back to them, after using my Burris.
This is on my .300 WSM.
I use open sites on everything else.

·
Son Of Liberty
1,871 Posts
If it is possible that I will use it to defend my life or the life of others I feel I should get as a good a piece of gear no matter what it is as I can afford.
You don't put cheap wall mart tires on a nascar, why trust you life to a cheap optic that may fail when you need it?

Just my opinion

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
For group defense it is a necessity to have one or more dedicated precision rifles to be used in OPs well out from one's camp. The scope should be user friendly with ranging capability that allows for 400 - 600 yards accuracy at least.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fredlee hate to tell you but my Model 27 Civil Guard 7.62x54R S.K.Y. Mosin-Nagant is out the factory with a bent bolt handle some di and some did not. I really lucked out with my bubba mosin-nagant.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts