Survivalist Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
16,589 Posts
I believe it was you (?) who suggested to me the Riton Optics X1 Conquer 6-24x50. Is that still a good choice? It has good reviews for sure.
Yes. They are really are a great deal for the cost.

Me being a cheap SOB, I also like the BSA Sweet 223 scopes. Adjustable objectives, target turrets, just fine for range use.

I have found some nice Nikon scopes in this past year, cheap. Just have to keep in mind they are out of the firearm optics business. If he's punching paper though, less risk of anything getting damaged.
My FAVORITE scope is a Nikon P223 3x. Sad they went of business. Funny thing was, the close out deals were great…and then the re-sale prices were like buying meat today….you want HOW MUCH?😡

·
Registered
37 Posts
I checked Amazon in the $100 to $200 range. There are some Vortex Cross Fire II, Vortex DiamondBack, and Burris FulField scopes in that price range. They would be okay. Seems like inflation has driven up the price of optics. I really miss the Nikon and Weaver scopes.

My favorite site to buy scopes from SWFA Outdoors at SWFA.com. I personally like the SWFA SS brand scopes but they are more expensive. Their specialty is sporting optics, including riflescopes, red dots, binoculars, spotting scopes, rangefinders, gun accessories, etc. They have a sample sales list with discounts on scopes and other merchandise provided by vendors (sales samples) along with factory refurbished items, close-outs, trade-ins, display models, and discontinued products. Each item is rated as demo A (almost new), demo B (minor use), and demo C (moderate use). I have ordered the demo C items on a few occasions and I struggle to see any major signs of use or wear. You might want to check their site to see if there are any good deals on scopes (or other types of optics / gun accessories). Their sample sale site is located here: View Entire Sample List - SWFA Outdoors

I also would recommend the Natchez site previously mentioned.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Back in the day they were popular, available, and reasonably priced.... My big brother and I both liked the Leupold 6X fixed power compact scopes.. They fit easily on standard size bolt guns of the day most having open sights also.. They were 1 inch steel tube,... At a fixed power you could easily judge distance by the size of the animal you were looking at.. The duplex reticle gave a couple different hold over references that worked well..

If I could find one today, I would gladly swap it out for the scope that is on my rifle for a long time now.. The scope I have now is OK, but this would be better for me..

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
If he is wanting to just punch paper, looking at a refurbished scope or the Vortex Copperhead with the 44mm objective might be the way to go. Since he is just wanting to punch paper at 200 yards or less, clarity and parallax may not be that big of deal. Just .10 cents worth.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Tossing together a .223 Wylde AR for a local guy. He's bought all the upper, lower, hard goods, and furniture bits with some guidance. Now it comes down to optics and I'd appreciate some recommendations

.223 Wylde
18" standard barrel

He'll probably never reach out past 200y and even that will be bench fired I'm sure. He's not a hunter just wants a cool, solid rifle he can punch paper consistently

The catch is he only wants to/can spend about $200. Trust me I've tried to talk him into spending more but he's pretty frugal. I've had great luck with vortex and PA in the past but nothing in this price point

Sig Whiskey?
Vortex Copperhead?
Primary Arms?
Any experiences with Westhunter?

Thanks in advance
I have a Bushnell Trophy DOA 600 3-9X40 scope (Model 753960B) on a Remington 700 SPS Tactical. It works great for me. Buy Trophy 3-9x40 Riflescope DOA600 and More | Bushnell

·
Lord of Irrelevance
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·

·
Registered
None of your business.
3,607 Posts
I checked Amazon in the $100 to $200 range. There are some Vortex Cross Fire II, Vortex DiamondBack, and Burris FulField scopes in that price range. They would be okay. Seems like inflation has driven up the price of optics. I really miss the Nikon and Weaver scopes.

My favorite site to buy scopes from SWFA Outdoors at SWFA.com. I personally like the SWFA SS brand scopes but they are more expensive. Their specialty is sporting optics, including riflescopes, red dots, binoculars, spotting scopes, rangefinders, gun accessories, etc. They have a sample sales list with discounts on scopes and other merchandise provided by vendors (sales samples) along with factory refurbished items, close-outs, trade-ins, display models, and discontinued products. Each item is rated as demo A (almost new), demo B (minor use), and demo C (moderate use). I have ordered the demo C items on a few occasions and I struggle to see any major signs of use or wear. You might want to check their site to see if there are any good deals on scopes (or other types of optics / gun accessories). Their sample sale site is located here: View Entire Sample List - SWFA Outdoors

I also would recommend the Natchez site previously mentioned.
they recently had an awesome sale back on early spring, $199 for fixed 10 or 12 and $249 for their 1-4x scope With mounting system, level and sun shade.

All very good glass for the money.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts