Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Lord of Irrelevance
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tossing together a .223 Wylde AR for a local guy. He's bought all the upper, lower, hard goods, and furniture bits with some guidance. Now it comes down to optics and I'd appreciate some recommendations

.223 Wylde
18" standard barrel

He'll probably never reach out past 200y and even that will be bench fired I'm sure. He's not a hunter just wants a cool, solid rifle he can punch paper consistently

The catch is he only wants to/can spend about $200. Trust me I've tried to talk him into spending more but he's pretty frugal. I've had great luck with vortex and PA in the past but nothing in this price point

Sig Whiskey?
Vortex Copperhead?
Primary Arms?
Any experiences with Westhunter?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I would strongly consider buying a used scope of a little “higher end” than those listed. Used better quality scopes are usually quite reasonably priced. If you do happen (doesn’t happen often) to buy a bad scope, most higher end scopes have a lifetime warranty. So, other than a little lost time you’re out only the shipping costs and you’ll have a better scope!
I’ve purchased several used scopes, and “knock on wood”, haven’t been burned yet! memtb

·
Registered
16,589 Posts
What is the scope for? Is he looking to shoot groups, or steel? Hunting?

At 200 or less, for steel, with decent eyesight, irons are fine. A red dot is fine.

If you want to shoot small groups on a bull or hit that deer in the heart rather than “somewhere in the front quarter”, he will probably need magnification.

I’ve got the Vortex Crossfire 2. It’s “okay”?
I’ve got a Sig Whiskey…it’s got a different reticle than Vortex uses. Better for some things, worse for others.

Realistically, without knowing the intended use, and given the budget, I’d suggest a $150 Primary Arms 1-4x LPVO, or if you want more magnification, they sell a 4-16x44 for $170.

·
Lord of Irrelevance
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What is the scope for? Is he looking to shoot groups, or steel? Hunting?

At 200 or less, for steel, with decent eyesight, irons are fine. A red dot is fine.

If you want to shoot small groups on a bull or hit that deer in the heart rather than “somewhere in the front quarter”, he will probably need magnification.

I’ve got a Sig Whiskey…it’s got a different reticle than Vortex uses. Better for some things, worse for others.

Realistically, without knowing the intended use, and given the budget, I’d suggest a $150 Primary Arms 1-4x LPVO, or if you want more magnification, they sell a 4-16x44 for $170.

OP stated he just wants to punch paper. Not a hunter

He needs some degree of magnification as his eyesight is fairly degraded

·
Lord of Irrelevance
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The bushnell 1-4x for an ar-15 is about $150-200 depending on where you get it. I put the $350 1-8 with bdc on my wifes rifle and its been good so far for a budget optic. You will need to buy a scope mount with enough rise for an AR to be able to mount it.
I'll admit I usually look right past Bushnell but I'll give them a look

·
Registered
667 Posts
I’d suggest a $150 Primary Arms 1-4x LPVO, or if you want more magnification, they sell a 4-16x44 for $170.
I believe it was you (?) who suggested to me the Riton Optics X1 Conquer 6-24x50. Is that still a good choice? It has good reviews for sure.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'll admit I usually look right past Bushnell but I'll give them a look
Yea i’ve generally considered them the bottom of the barrel. Then I shot a friends rifle who had the same model and decided that it was pretty decent quality for a relative beginner to ar’s like my wife. I figure once shes ready I can upgrade to something better and keep it for a spare. It seems to be consistent, she can hit beer bottles on a fencepost at 100 yards which is good enough for now.

·
You ARE what you IS!
Prepped enough is NEVER good enough!
6,198 Posts
Tossing together a .223 Wylde AR for a local guy. He's bought all the upper, lower, hard goods, and furniture bits with some guidance. Now it comes down to optics and I'd appreciate some recommendations

.223 Wylde
18" standard barrel

He'll probably never reach out past 200y and even that will be bench fired I'm sure. He's not a hunter just wants a cool, solid rifle he can punch paper consistently

The catch is he only wants to/can spend about $200. Trust me I've tried to talk him into spending more but he's pretty frugal. I've had great luck with vortex and PA in the past but nothing in this price point

Sig Whiskey?
Vortex Copperhead?
Primary Arms?
Any experiences with Westhunter?

Thanks in advance
Vortex Strike Eagle 1X6X24 is highly recommended. I have one on my competition mid-length with awesome reliability and shot placement.

·
You ARE what you IS!
Prepped enough is NEVER good enough!
6,198 Posts

·
Lord of Irrelevance
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There are folks who are more educated on the subject. But I'm the only civvy among a bunch of military guys who all saw action. To that end, when we have had discussions, they all can't agree on a scope. To be honest, it's like a pair of shoes. It has to fit you.
No doubt there. Hoping to at least whittle it down a bit and maybe give him 2 or 3 options he can get on order

1 - 20 of 33 Posts