Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Somewhere on a ranch...
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm agonizing over which scope to put on the new Tikka t3x, chambered in 308 win.

I don't actually know too much about hunting scopes in general as most of my scopes are more tactical in nature and are on ARs and such. So, I'm appealing to the collective knowledge of the survivalist boards.

Purpose: hunting. Primarily deer. A little bit of target shooting to keep the rust off, but this is a hunting gun.

Price range: $350 or less.

Something like a variable up to 12x would probably be perfect.

Suggestions? You make em, I'll look em up!

Thanks.

·
Swirl Herder
3,813 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
2-7x32 or 3-9x40 scopes are both great for deer hunting. Burris, leupold, nikon, and vortex are all solid optics. I would skip their entry level products and get into at least the mid level of each brand. I've been seeing burris 3-9x40 with ballistic plex reticle for for $149. That's a good deal. For reference, I use 4 burris, 4 vortex, 2 nikon, 3 leupold, and 1 weaver grand slam. The only rigs that I run scopes larger than 3-9 are on heavy barreled long range guns that are shot off bench or bipod. That should be a good accurate shooter.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,070 Posts
Let me suggest three options (I own all three)

The ultra light option is a Leupold 4x compact.
A mid weight option (my favorite) is a Leupold 2.5-8x gold ring.
A good long range scope is a Leupold 4-12x AO.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I would consider, in addition to some great suggestions above, Vortex, Primary Arms, and SWFA. If fixed power is acceptable, SWFA for sure! .02

1 - 5 of 5 Posts