Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i bought a Ruger American .308 and have on the way a Bipod and a Cheek-pad ( Cheek-pad was free with the purchase of the firearm). the next goal will be to get a Scope for the Ruger American .308. I dont want to spend a god awful amount of money. So i was wondering what you all thought of the below scope?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/63...al-rifle-scope-3-9x-40mm-duplex-reticle-matte

the only bad thing about the firearm is that it has no iron sights, anyone know a way to mount iron sights and a scope on a ruger American?

thanks,
PGH

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
That scope is fine for a .22. But you have no iron sights, this scope is going to be your only way to aim the rifle. Look at the Redfield line as mentioned above if you want value and decent glass. Nikon has some good offerings also.

Also, dont skimp on the rings and mount either. Again this is your only aiming system until you get your iron sights. Which BTW, I would recommend getting them professionally drilled and tapped.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm using a Redfield Revolution 3-9X40mm. Works fine on my 308 Hawkeye.
Ok thanks i will look into that scope.

Also, dont skimp on the rings and mount either. Again this is your only aiming system until you get your iron sights. Which BTW, I would recommend getting them professionally drilled and tapped.
And how much does it cost to have iron sights put on a rifle?

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
And how much does it cost to have iron sights put on a rifle?
If you supply the sights.. probably about 50-100$ depending on the gunsmiths in your area. More if you need the sights. The holes need to be drilled into the barrel to get the sights properly mounted.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Before deciding on your scope define your targets and range you'll be shooting at.

Also look at getting a 30mm tube as opposed to a 1" (25mm) one as they give you better viewing.

For most general hunting any 1,5-6x, 2-7x, 3-9x, 3.5-10x scope will be all you'd ever need.

For most long range varmints then going up to an 18x or 22x variable model is needed and for most target work then a 32x or 42x variable is required.

Most shooters will spend 1½ to 2 times the cost of their rifle on a scope so $500 in getting you a fairly good, lower end scope.

Look at Nikon, Burris, Leopold and if you can find them Docter scopes.

For dealers try:
Camera Land NY,
Optics Planet,
SWFA,
Bear Basin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts