Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Prepared
15,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/politics/la-me-state-budget-20100515,0,7750555.story

"Reporting from Sacramento
Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger outlined a stark vision Friday of a California that would no longer lend a helping hand to some of its poorest and neediest citizens, proposing a budget that would eliminate the state's welfare-to-work program and most child care for the poor.

His $83.4-billion plan would freeze funding for local schools, further cut state workers' pay and take away 60% of state money for local mental health programs. State parks and higher education are among the few areas the governor's proposal would spare....."

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
Not exactly news to any of us here, but......too little,too late.:rolleyes:
You,me and everybody here can come up with a list of things that desperately need to be done, but the reality is, there is ZERO chance in hell of it happening. They're pi**ing on a forest fire,trying in vain to hold off the inevitable chaos and anarchy coming their way.
Which reminds me, I need to stock up on microwave popcorn, and get a big screen TV. :D:

·
Sam Adams was right....
9,381 Posts
yup.. The Guvernator's up a creek without a paddle..

California's Democrat legislature will pick this budget to death and nothing will get done...

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,430 Posts
Fortunately he has the Line Item Veto.

I'm thinking it's going to be an election issue.

The Dems that support picking it apart will not want to be responsible for shutting down the state.

The Repubs have enough votes to keep any budget from passing, shutting the state down, here come the IOU's

I think the budget may be stalled long enough, late September, to mid October to make the Dems antsy to get on the campaign trail.

·
Prepared
15,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are more parallels with Greece than just the word "austerity". Apparently corruption and tax evasion in Greece was so widespread that there were concerns initially about it joining the EU. So while the Greeks borrowed and spent like nuts after credit was made overly-available, there's also a wealthy class that created a lot of funny money -- and possibly didn't pay its taxes.

I know that Los Angeles county has more millionaires than anywhere in the US (260,000+ millionaires apparently). So you need to take the whole picture: excessive social programs, concentrated poverty, concentrated wealth & opportunity, limousine liberals (backing wealthy/elite interests), ridiculous cost of housing in many cities, and probably a good deal of graft on spending. California is a poster child for what a state shouldn't be. It's pretty much just wrong from whatever side you look at it.

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/politics/la-me-state-budget-20100515,0,7750555.story

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger outlined a stark vision Friday of a California that would no longer lend a helping hand to some of its poorest and neediest citizens, proposing a budget that would eliminate the state's welfare-to-work program and most child care for the poor.

His $83.4-billion plan would freeze funding for local schools, further cut state workers' pay and take away 60% of state money for local mental health programs. State parks and higher education are among the few areas the governor's proposal would spare....."

·
Premium Member
14,434 Posts

LOL....good luck with that

·
Registered
586 Posts
"Another issue the governor's plan addresses is prison costs."
He can cut that significantly by shipping the 20% or so of state prisoners, who are illegal aliens, straight to Mexico.
My brother in law is a guard at one of the California state prisons. He said that recently the state let go 200 prisoners (not paroled, but turned loose)and the state was boasting they saved 4 million dollars. The state said that they were all non violent offenders, when in actually there were murders and rapist in this bunch. He went on to tell me that they have had to re arrest some of these murders and rapists because upon getting their freedon some of them went on to commit more murders and rapes. But hey, they saved 4 million so I guess it's okay. How stupid. Meanwhile, the president of the state senate took his oath of office on March 7th and on that very same day gave all his staff members a raise, including $65,000 for his chief of staff. An INCREASE of $65,000! And then they expect the people of California to bite the bullet to pay for their irresponsibilty.

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,430 Posts
No wonder why California is bankrupt, look at some of these salaries:
http://www.sacbee.com/statepay/

Correctional officers making 120k
Registered Nurse 115k
Fish and Game Warden 103k
Correctional Officeres Union is the biggest in the state, lots of political clout. Nurses fall in not too far behind. Teachers are right up there too.

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
Do ya' think that California, or New York's citizens will be first to go 'Greece" in the streets?
I'd put 25 cents on California being first.
What say you?
wow thats a tuff one. they are both populations of pathetic lady-boys. (i can say that im from NY, obviously im an exception) I know the people from UPSTATE NY are fed up. NYC folks dont know anything is wrong yet.

i say whoever has the most people on the dole goes first.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Yes but if you look at the cost of housing there you'd understand the need for large salaries. Problem is there's not enough money there anymore to sustain this, and house prices are coming way down. People are walking away from their houses because they are so underwater. I saw one report that showed a small house that somebody had bought for $400,000, and now it's only worth about $85,000. The whole area is crashing. People used to say that buying real estate was a great investment, it's proving not to always be true.

It's only gonna get worse.

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,430 Posts
djwayne,

I agree with you. But you have to ask which came first. The high cost of housing or the higher wages.

I think as people made more money they bought more expensive houses. That brought up the price of housing. As salary reversev, so does housing prices.

chicken or egg?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Can't say I agree with him on everything but no one is ever pleased 100% of the time.

There are folks in this country that need Help to avoid starving. Just a fact of life. So he is going to throw away folks with Mental Problems in order to have an extra tour bus at a state park? Seems like screwed up priorities to me.

So here is a question, do people really think that EVERYONE has the same opportunity to MAKE IT? what about the kid with Down syndrome? Shizophrenics? People with an IQ hovering in the 80'S?

Some safety net is needed afterall a country is only as good as it treats its worse off citizens. But I get the feeling tha tmany believe that No ONE has a problem that can't be overcome.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.