Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
spirit animal / unicorn
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mod edit: title corrected for truth

From the article: "On the first day of school in Boston last Thursday, school officials reported that more than 1,200 buses ran late and more than 40% did not make it to school in time for the opening bell. Still, officials said, it was the the district's best performance for busing students to school on time for the first day of school in some six years."

😩 2020s!!!

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
8,019 Posts
I was talking to another retiree who took a job as a driver. One of the reasons they are having trouble keeping drivers is exemplified by the new plexiglass screens installed behind the driver's seat. No it is not there to slow the spread of the virus. There were put there so the mother's darling little angels who can do no wrong can't throw **** at the driver.

The starting pay for drivers has gone up $8/hour over the past couple years and some are talking sign on bonuses. Still no, or not enough, takers,

·
Registered
7,891 Posts
our school district decided to get into the bus biz when the decades old private company contract died with the company's retirement - most of the districts go private ...

has worked better than expected but it's $$$$$ - gooood buck local wages involved and even then drivers are hard to get & keep - part-time with a early & late day schedule split is a screw job for most >> $20/hr with the kid herders getting around $15 .....

·
Indefatigable
21,478 Posts
OK has had a bus driver shortage since before school started, no mandate then, they refuse to drive around a petri dish full of kids, who can't be vaccinated and who refuse to wear masks, or they are sick themselves. Several districts have had to return to distance learning because of it.

·
Registered
10,651 Posts
It's a crap job to begin with as most kids need parenting. Take your own kids to school. The only places that rely heavily on busses here are schools trying to mix students and rural districts bringing kids in.

Cities don't need bussing.

·
Registered
10,651 Posts
When I rode the bus, the driver could fill out slips that got you detention or suspension at school. If you got too many you were kicked off the bus system for the year.

They were like the assistant principal when it came to discipline.

·
Super Moderator
15,223 Posts
Our county in Florida has a bus shortage as well. My wife applied but was denied because of a speeding ticket she got 10 years ago where she was going 8 over the speed limit which she also took a driving course for it for insurance purposes. We also found out that to be a school bus driver she needed a CDL but to drive a county bus she wouldnt need one. Go figure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bus driver and teacher shortage in Las Vegas too. The school district just mandated vaxxes for all staff and support. A lot of drivers and teachers called out and are protesting.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
We also have a school bus driver shortage.
If someone else would do the mornings, I would take the afternoons. Ha~!

I do know of a woman who solved the split day problem.
She works the school cafeteria in between bus shifts.

·
Registered
13,592 Posts
OK has had a bus driver shortage since before school started, no mandate then, they refuse to drive around a petri dish full of kids, who can't be vaccinated and who refuse to wear masks, or they are sick themselves. Several districts have had to return to distance learning because of it.
Oh baloney. Petri dishes...what a joke.

OK has a shortage of bus drivers because anyone with a CDL can make more money sitting at home collecting Biden money, or driving ANYTHING else; same problem we and every other school district has had since LONG before Covid was a thing.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
230 Posts
I've now driven school bus in 3 states..4 different districts. Since 2001 there has been a shortage of drivers. Lousy pay for a split shift job. Most drivers have a second job! I do....and I live CHEAP, in an rv.....my bills with car payment is under 2000 month..... I take home 1250 from the district and work weekends to make up the rest.

The general lack of support seems to be independent contractor bus companies. Working directly for the school makes a difference.

Of the 4 districts....the one I am at seems to have the best kids (at least mine after working on them since last year!).

A CDL is required. Clean background. Fingerprints. Additional training due to transporting children......and the guy who drives a garbage truck gets paid better. I'm supposedly transporting "precious cargo" I have the power, literally, to make or break a kids day just by getting on the bus. But drivers are the red headed step child of the school system...... why would any one sign on?

·
"TURGID FLUX"
7,080 Posts
Put the kids that won't wear masks or get a vax on a bus by themselves.

A short bus would be perfect. They can even get "special ed"

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

• Angry
Reactions: Mere_Man

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Within the fort 2 weeks of school here one school had to close For at least a day due to no bus drivers. This didnt include the kids left waiting at the bus stop for the buses that never came.

·
Pisticus Veritas
Very Prepared!!
34,868 Posts
Mod edit: title corrected for truth

From the article: "On the first day of school in Boston last Thursday, school officials reported that more than 1,200 buses ran late and more than 40% did not make it to school in time for the opening bell. Still, officials said, it was the the district's best performance for busing students to school on time for the first day of school in some six years."

😩 2020s!!!

Elsewhere in the state ... homeschool teachers report record attendance and punctuation. They also report an extreme reduction in bullying, unwanted pregnancies, drug abuse, CRT misinformation, Marxist ideology & indoctrination, pricy Nike shoes, and low grades.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I was talking to another retiree who took a job as a driver. One of the reasons they are having trouble keeping drivers is exemplified by the new plexiglass screens installed behind the driver's seat. No it is not there to slow the spread of the virus. There were put there so the mother's darling little angels who can do no wrong can't throw **** at the driver.

The starting pay for drivers has gone up $8/hour over the past couple years and some are talking sign on bonuses. Still no, or not enough, takers,
$8/hr?!? I.....can't even. For driving the SatanSpawn around?!? Burger King by me is offering low double digits starting pay on their freaking sign instead of burger specials. How about 18? Or more realistically with other Commercial Drivers license holders, 28?
I remember that used to be a decent job, now they've got plexi shields hoping they don't crash cuz of hurled objects. Nice.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts