Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Front Towards Enemy
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The KY county I live in has cancelled school for this entire week (They were also closed Thursday and Friday of last week). According to my daughter (who unlike most teens, actually has her head on a swivel), the last day of school she had, her high school was showing over 20% of students and faculty out due to sickness.

Ours isn't the only county suffering from this epidemic either. Two neighboring counties have cancelled school and some civic events due to illness.

I have received a picture and a tip from a friend who has a relative who works for the school district. Crews were inside the facilities today, spraying some manner or cleaning agent or disinfectant on all floors, walls, lockers, doors, etc.

Nobody is reporting this. No heads up or warnings from the county hell-th department either. From current intel, I would estimate a possible 20-25% rate of influenza infection in my county.

I'm going shopping tomorrow, stocking up big time. Going to wear an N-95, and carry plenty of Purell too. Hot-washing the clothes we wore when we return home. Friday, we're going to have the maid disinfect everything, and help reorganize the pantry to house more food.

Thought I would share this with everyone.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts

There have been times when the school districts where I used to live and where I live now have closed a particular school. They do it if there is a significant influenza or stomach virus outbreak that affects many students and staff.

Yes, they do indeed say on the news that they will clean and disinfect the school. I just don't know how they go about doing it. Being block walls and such, they could possibly spray a school down.

The real difference that I see in your particular case is the number of school days. Usually, it's something like school is cancelled until Monday.

·
Front Towards Enemy
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

There have been times when the school districts where I used to live and where I live now have closed a particular school. They do it if there is a significant influenza or stomach virus outbreak that affects many students and staff.

Yes, they do say on the news that they will indeed clean and disinfect the school. I just don't know how they go about doing it. Being block walls and such, they could possibly spray a school down.

The real difference that I see in your particular case is the number of school days. Usually it's something like school is cancelled until Monday.

Same here. They've called it off for a day or two before because of some pathogen or another. This time is different for some reason. School was out thursday and friday, resumed monday. Monday, girlchild messages me saying they may release early, but instead they finished out the day and cancelled school. No word on when they'll resume classes. No word on exactly why, and they didn't mention the cleaning to anyone.

Like I said, we're not taking chances. We're treating it as a low-level epidemic, and acting accordingly until we get better intel, or this thing blows over.

·
Front Towards Enemy
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your wearing a mask in public tomorrow, and then your going to have one of the public your wearing the mask for come to your house and go all over Friday (maid)

...did you think this through?
Hahaha. I didn't specify on that one, did I? That did sound like a soup sandwich. lol

She's limiting exposure to public places herself, maintaining personal sanitation, and lives in a sparsely-populated part of the county. My maid is an employee, and works only for me, so she's not like a house cleaner who visits numerous clients, limiting possible exposure.

Plus, she's a prepper as well. Most of my employees and household staff are my EOTW crew. :D:

·
statists' be statin'
3,365 Posts
I oversee the custodial and maintenance at a fairly large city school district. We haven't closed schools before but we have discussed it. Sometimes, you just get a bunch of kids with the flu and closing the doors for a long weekend is enough to stop it. I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you want to know what's happening, just call the school administration and ask.

·
Ebola brought me here
157 Posts
Yeah looks like 23 schools (article is from yesterday) in Tennessee will be closed from today through the weekend, heck some were closed yesterday also.

Very suspicious timing. Hope you're alright Lt. Drake.

·
Front Towards Enemy
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah looks like 23 schools (article is from yesterday) in Tennessee will be closed from today through the weekend, heck some were closed yesterday also.

Very suspicious timing. Hope you're alright Lt. Drake.
I'm alright, thanks for asking. :thumb:

And it's now out that several counties are out due to critical amounts of absences because of a severe flu. My county still hasn't said anything at all, except that the student are out for an NTI (Non-traditional Instruction) day until further notice.

And as for "minions", Nomad, I'm in the private security sector. I don't consider my employees as minions. The way I see it, I'm blessed by having a cadre of trained and intelligent individuals who look to me for leadership, and whom I can turn to for a deep reservoir of skills, opinions and sometimes reality checks. We train together, we work together on jobs that mean protecting people, places and things, and if things ever went south, we, from my FTO to my maid, have each others' 6. I'm lucky to have such a good set of people in my company and in my SHTF group. :)

·
Dismember
1,966 Posts
And as for "minions", Nomad, I'm in the private security sector. I don't consider my employees as minions. The way I see it, I'm blessed by having a cadre of trained and intelligent individuals who look to me for leadership, and whom I can turn to for a deep reservoir of skills, opinions and sometimes reality checks. We train together, we work together on jobs that mean protecting people, places and things, and if things ever went south, we, from my FTO to my maid, have each others' 6. I'm lucky to have such a good set of people in my company and in my SHTF group. :)
Ewwwww, men-in-black humblebrag and snowflakieness.

Git the shotgun, Nomad!

·
Registered
198 Posts

·
Registered
34,642 Posts
I'm alright, thanks for asking. :thumb:

And it's now out that several counties are out due to critical amounts of absences because of a severe flu. My county still hasn't said anything at all, except that the student are out for an NTI (Non-traditional Instruction) day until further notice.

You must not have kids....
Pop culture reference.

I don't, but I have god children

And: I'm a medically retired 0311/0321 with a degree in Emergency Managemnt, former EMT, and I've worked armed security a few times (contracts not rent a cop.)

So: I understand the culture.

·
Front Towards Enemy
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You must not have kids....
Pop culture reference.

I don't, but I have god children

And: I'm a medically retired 0311/0321 with a degree in Emergency Managemnt, former EMT, and I've worked armed security a few times (contracts not rent a cop.)

So: I understand the culture.
I have a daughter. She's turning 18, but she's out of touch with her generation for the most part. I don't pay much attention to pop culture stuff, or even watch much TV or movies (At least fictional stuff).

I guess as not to look like some sorry *** mall-ninja on here, I should state that my company is an armed security/EP company that also markets firearms training and survival/disaster preparedness training and supplies. We're not mall cops, but we're not Blackwater either. I have training through Academi, IST, and several smaller outfits, and my college major was behavioral psychology. Two of my guys are veterans, and very professional people. I wasn't trying to humble-brag in the above post. I really am fortunate to be in the place I am now, and probably only am by the will of God. If the dark matter hits the fan, it's not myself alone that will keep my group alive.

Still don't get the refs, but after four years of being called everything from a "jackboot" to "Paul Blart", I can take a few jabs. At least on here, its from folks who more or less have the same mindset.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
It's influenza, or something similar. Many of the students have had it. I've never seen the district panic over a flu though, at least not to this extent. That is what is concerning.
It's not "panic" to close schools when a large percentage of students are already out sick. It's common sense.

Nobody is reporting this.
I've been seeing similar reports in the news for the last 2 weeks.
https://www.bing.com/search?q=schoo...s=n&sk=&cvid=56576DD315694E17ABFB5BAB35845FA7

·
Super Moderator
Trash Remover
3,916 Posts
Well, FWIW, I have not heard of any schools being closed on the W end of the state (yet)

1 - 20 of 120 Posts