Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my friends, is a custodian at a local school. What are your thoughts on using a schoolhouse as a BOL for a group?

I see the following advantages:
Solid brick walls, reinforced steel doors, resilient windows
Enclosed, easier to defend
open areas on all sides, no easy concealment for intruders
lots of space with all the individual classrooms
cooking apparatus and medical equipment already stocked on location
lots of fire extinguishers on location
with custodial access, easy to stock location with preps in advance

·
Registered
372 Posts
I think the biggest potentiol problem with that is its location.

If its in the middle of a town with any size to it, then to start it would very likely be used by local agencies for whatever reason themselves. I know during hurricanes the schools are used for shelters and collection points amongst other things.

Those folks may not like having a group of people living in there.

If you feel that, that would not be a problem, and dont think others would flock to the school for safety in a time of need, then, hey why not.

·
"Dolt"
3,265 Posts
I think the biggest potentiol problem with that is its location.

If its in the middle of a town with any size to it, then to start it would very likely be used by local agencies for whatever reason themselves. I know during hurricanes the schools are used for shelters and collection points amongst other things.

Those folks may not like having a group of people living in there.

If you feel that, that would not be a problem, and dont think others would flock to the school for safety in a time of need, then, hey why not.
This and if its bad enough everyone will be thinking the same thing (about holding up at a school).

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,586 Posts
Schools are public property, just the kind of place the JB thugs will use to round up the trouble makers after SHTF and The Gov is trying to regain control of the masses.....

·
Nope.
2,099 Posts
Another problem with most schoolhouses is the number of entrances and windows. If you have a huge group that could man most areas in case of violence, then you might be better served coming together and buying property that is more easily defended and stocked.

Just my thoughts.

·
Poseur
221 Posts
Yeah, seems like too much of a target. If you're looking for protection from a natural disaster, other people will be too. If you're looking for protection from the government or armed thugs (redundant, I know), then the first place they're gonna look is public places whether to find people or round up people as said previously.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Well... here's where I think I'm going to differ with everyone else here (maybe except for the poster! :) ). I personally think a school would NOT be a great place during a short, SHTF scenario where the government is loosing control or reeling from a disaster and will be back soon. In those cases, you all are right, schools will probably be used by a government agency in some sort of relief effort or at least patrolled well by the local PD.

But in a TEOTWAWKI scenario where the government is gone completely or perhaps has retreated to their bunkers and what not and you KNOW that you're on your own for awhile... I think a school would be a GREAT place.

Now, this could just be in my nature, but I believe wholeheartedly that in a EOTWAWKI scenario, I would try and help anyone that I knew around the community. The local school (conditional if you don't live in the middle of a big city but rather in the country or other less populated area) would be a great place to do that. Classrooms could be used as barracks, there are mess facilities on site, there are medical facilities - however light - on site as well (every school has a nurses office!). As for the plethora of windows and doors I have one easy answer, chains. Chain the doors you're not needing shut and the classrooms you're not using chain them shut from the inside. So if someone does bust a window and gain access to an empty room, they're not getting out of it.

I think this is a GREAT idea in that situation. Schools have large quantities of non-perishables there already and in a prolonged scenario like that, whatever alternate forms of energy you might have could be used to start the fridges and that sort of thing going again. A two story school is even better, since the second story is more secure than the 1st and could be used exclusively as living quarters (provided you destroy any external stairwell that could be used for entry).

Great idea Budget! I will certainly keep this in mind...

Edit: As for the target comments, with the great number of people that could be housed in a school you're looking at more people to protect the building. Men and women will fight harder knowing that if the armed thugs/ militant group break into the building that their children and families will be hurt as a result, that's a powerful motivator... and there's great safety in numbers.

·
Banned
317 Posts
Bix box would be a better place......high walls with no windows and only two entrances to defend.........it might already even come with food inside.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts