Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have my carbine ordered. What should I lay back for replacement parts?
What parts, mags, accesories, etc should I avoid? What are the quirks of the carbine that only a user would know.
For those that don't know me I'm not a firearm novice. I know about cheap mags, folding stocks, etc. {In general} I am however fairly ignorant as far as the M1 carbine goes.
So what am I missing?
Oh, one question in particular. I see that some mag catches will not support the GI 30 round mags. How do I tell if I have on that will or not?

·
BEEN HERE TO LONG
1,336 Posts
let the bolt slam shut or it wont work right

·
Lurker
118 Posts
So, I have my carbine ordered. What should I lay back for replacement parts?
What parts, mags, accesories, etc should I avoid? What are the quirks of the carbine that only a user would know.
For those that don't know me I'm not a firearm novice. I know about cheap mags, folding stocks, etc. {In general} I am however fairly ignorant as far as the M1 carbine goes.
So what am I missing?
Oh, one question in particular. I see that some mag catches will not support the GI 30 round mags. How do I tell if I have on that will or not?
The M2 catch is made for the 30 rounders, and the 15. The M1 catch is just for the 15 rounders and lacks the extra little 'finger' that comes around and engages the extra tab on the left side of the 30 round mags. The quick way to tell is that the M2 catch has a M with a line under it on the right side, and the extra tab finger, and the M1 catch just has an M (I think, been a while since I looked at the M1 catch, and I have an M2 in my rifle).

IMHO plastic and folding stocks on these rifles are a waste of money. Go with a good Walnut or Birch if you want an accurate rifle. The CMP website says the best M1 is one with a solid wood stock on it, and their advice is trustworthy. I bought a used M1 with a Ramline on it and ventilated metal handguard (I think a teenager was the former owner) the thing shot like crap, but is a tack driver with a surplus Birch stock and upper hand guard on it.

GI 15 round mags are the most reliable you will find. Stay away from 30's until you have a dozen 15 round mags socked away. Good 30's are hard to find, as many of them are of substandard quality. The ones that J&G Sales sells are good quality in my experience.

Some Carbines don't work well with the Wolf Ammo. The gun was designed to use a brass cased ammo, so sticking to that will probably offer you best results. I've seen people contest this with claims that their carbine will work all day with Wolf, but I've also seen a lot of carbines begin to develop problems after a few mags of Wolf - so you take your chances as you see fit on that one.

For spares a replacement set of screws pins and springs would be a good idea - and isn't super expensive. A spare recoil plate, and uppper handguard might also be a good idea.

Fulton Armory has a good selection of parts.
http://www.fulton-armory.com/MCarbParts.htm

You might also consider picking up on of the books they have for sale, just to familiarise yourself with the inner workings of the rifle and to have around as a reference in case your rifle craps out some time and you are out of ideas.

Welcome to the club! M1's are awesome little rifles - way under rated in today's world of super tac bells and whistles laden selections.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks SD01!
The carbine is really for my wife, though she doesn't know it yet.:eek::
From my point of view it is a companion to my M1 and M1A's. On the flip side of the coin however it does fit into my WWII collection.
Now for that B.A.R. I have been lusting for........ Only another year or so on the waiting list......

·
BEEN HERE TO LONG
1,336 Posts
bar

Many thanks SD01!
The carbine is really for my wife, though she doesn't know it yet.:eek::
From my point of view it is a companion to my M1 and M1A's. On the flip side of the coin however it does fit into my WWII collection.
Now for that B.A.R. I have been lusting for........ Only another year or so on the waiting list......
if there is anyway to get it now, you better do it now. before tshtf i would.

·
Hubris begets Nemesis
7,751 Posts
+ 1 on the M1 carbine! Very under rated. Rugged and reliable.

Did I mention that's its fun to shoot?

SD01's advice is right on the money.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
+1 on J&G 30s.

Its my wife so she gets lake city ammo and PMC for practice. No jams for her. Wont risk her to failures. Brand new springs all the way through and a spare set. Extra full bolt or two extractors and one ejector.

·
Registered
249 Posts
My grandfather said back in ww2 and in korea that they used to weld a bunch of mags together to make 60 round ones that worked great, wish i got the secret from him, but he passed away when i was 2

·
Registered
32 Posts
Nowadays they make a "jungle clip" that will pair 2 30rnd mags together. Much better than welding because you can take them apart. I think that Cheaper Than Dirt has them. BTW don't forget a spare firing pin or two.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
O.K. I got the gun and had a chance to shoot the little bugger.
It is a National Postal Meter and the stock {though quite beat up} still displays the cartouches and is serial numbered to the receiver. The barrel is marked 43 and a flaming bomb stamp is still visible.

As far as accuracy I was amazed. I can hit a beer can at 150+ yards off hand. I pictured a carbine length barrel with a smallish round would be far less accurate.

Now, a few more questions. My gun has a rotary safety and I hate it. Can I swap it for an earlier push type? Second, how big of a deal is it to swap out the mag catches for the one that will support the 30 round mags? Third, what manufacturers make high quality replacement parts for the gun besides Fulton Armory {If any}. Fourth, are there mag spring upgrade kits that use modern spring technology?

The M1 catch is just for the 15 rounders and lacks the extra little 'finger' that comes around and engages the extra tab on the left side of the 30 round mags.
Do you have a picture? I can't find one to compare to my release.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
You better be worried about getting good quality ammo right now. All those parts can be bought and changed out from a dozen or so places, so do that last. Get a stack of mags and test them, and enough ammo to fill them several times.

Don't wait another day.

·
Firearm Enthusiast
864 Posts
Congrats. The Carbine is a dandy little weapon.

My advice is to have a gunsmith check out your Carbine and make recommendations as far as spare parts go. Sarco should have any spare parts you may need/want. Stock up on GI 15 rounders and the 30 rounders from J&G's website. Avoid butchering your Carbine with all the extras. It's a good weapon as it is. Federal and Remington UMC are your best options as far as ammo goes. Avoid the urge to shoot Wolf .30 through your Carbine, as it has been known to cause problems. Other than that, you should be good to go.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SARCO, man I'm getting tired of dealing with those guys........ FWIW you can't beat their AR parts kits price or quality wise. Their customer service on the other hand SUCKS!
So are there any good surplus ammo deals? I bought 500 rounds of Wolf for it but that was because I got it for $100. As I have stated in other threads, I don't think much of that stuff.
By the way, I found a Wolff complete spring kit for the carbine for about $15. It was either Brownells of Midway that had it.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
I went to two gun shops this afternoon and not one box of .30 carbine from any maker at any price. I was just looking to top up 50 cal cans to the top by the lid.

Do it now.

·
Lurker
118 Posts
O.K. I got the gun and had a chance to shoot the little bugger.
It is a National Postal Meter and the stock {though quite beat up} still displays the cartouches and is serial numbered to the receiver. The barrel is marked 43 and a flaming bomb stamp is still visible.

As far as accuracy I was amazed. I can hit a beer can at 150+ yards off hand. I pictured a carbine length barrel with a smallish round would be far less accurate.

Now, a few more questions. My gun has a rotary safety and I hate it. Can I swap it for an earlier push type? Second, how big of a deal is it to swap out the mag catches for the one that will support the 30 round mags? Third, what manufacturers make high quality replacement parts for the gun besides Fulton Armory {If any}. Fourth, are there mag spring upgrade kits that use modern spring technology?

Do you have a picture? I can't find one to compare to my release.
Easy swap out. Pick up the AGI M1/M2 carbine video and he shows how everything fits together. The smith in the video, Dunlap, also has a lot of nervious twiches that make him entertaining to watch. I don't have a pic of my stuff, but here is an ebay auction selling one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/M1-Carbine-Maga...temQQimsxZ20090108?IMSfp=TL090108117003r37941

Get used to the safety, it is the better of the two. The pushbutton one went away QUICK when the carbine made it in to combat - reason is guys would miss it and end up punching out their magazine. You'll get used to the flip lever and probably grow to like it.

BTW - what is called the M2 catch was used later as a standard replacement part for overhauled M1 and M2 rifles, so yours may already have the updated part.

What the guys said about Wolf in .30 carbine is right. Hold out for brass cased stuff.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts